custom node textering

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Does Bryce have it?

Yo know how Daz has it to make material inside the program

I was just wondering if they did the same with Bryce

Also, was watching a video of a person using World Machine for their game terrains, and that program allowed basic textures. Had me wondering if Bryce did the same thing

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

Bryce has it had since the beginning. In fact, it's the very heart of Bryce. It doesn't look like those node-thingies. It's called the Deep Texture Editor (DTE). The 84 page DTE.pdf document gives you a start, then there are many videos dealing with the DTE.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2013

No Bryce doesn't use node based texturing as such, it uses procedural based texturing.
    But the DTE combined with the Material Lab does basically the same job (albeit with different options).

In the Deep Texture Editor, you can create an infinite number of the textures. All of the preset ones in your preset library have been created from within Bryce in this way. Look up some of David Brinnen's video tutorials (listed in a sticky thread at the top of this sub forum) on using the Deep Texture Editor (often referred to as the DTE).
    It's a complex and interesting place and it's interface is nothing like anything you've ever seen so be prepared for some unexpected results and a certain level of frustration). This in combination with the four channels available in the Materials Lab allow you to create complex and simple materials and apply them using several different mapping modes and using altitude, slope and curve filters etc.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Also, was watching a video of a person using World Machine for their game terrains, and that program allowed basic textures. Had me wondering if Bryce did the same thing

Bryce had many basic textures that can be used in the synthesis of materials. Or if you don't want to get your hands dirty dealing with textures you can go straight for the materials library where there are hundreds of ready made materials for your use.

Also consider a visit to http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html where there are well over a hundred video tutorials covering this and many related topics that will not only answer many of your questions but also visually demonstrate how to find the things I'm talking about here.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

No Bryce doesn't use node based texturing as such, it uses procedural based texturing.
    But the DTE combined with the Material Lab does basically the same job (albeit with different options).

In the Deep Texture Editor, you can create an infinite number of the textures. All of the preset ones in your preset library have been created from within Bryce in this way. Look up some of David Brinnen's video tutorials (listed in a sticky thread at the top of this sub forum) on using the Deep Texture Editor (often referred to as the DTE).
    It's a complex and interesting place and it's interface is nothing like anything you've ever seen so be prepared for some unexpected results and a certain level of frustration). This in combination with the four channels available in the Materials Lab allow you to create complex and simple materials and apply them using several different mapping modes and using altitude, slope and curve filters etc.

I hate to nick pick but, the only difference between how World Machine does it and how Bryce does it is the interface.
    they're both using procedural textures, just how they go about it is vastly different. I've used World Machine Basic (free version) and I feel that Bryce is leaps and bounds ahead of the game here in regards to terrain generation and texturing (and most of that is thanks to David's excellent tutorials)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I thought the comparison being made was between Daz (presumably Studio) and it's node based shaders versus the DTE in Bryce. :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I thought the comparison being made was between Daz (presumably Studio) and it's node based shaders versus the DTE in Bryce. :)

world machine uses nodes, very similar to how the shader mixer in DAZ Studio operates (as well as Poser's materials lab)
    but the outcome of them all is the same, a procedural texture.