Daz models used for previsualizations.

Mr RidMr Rid Posts: 40
edited August 2013 in Art Studio

Archangel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70WOnBrO6AM
I was contacted in 2006 to produce a rough 'previz' of a scene for a live-action feature script about angels and demons warring among us. Previz is normally used as a rough blueprint for action and camera. But this was also used as a visual aid for pitch meetings (pitchviz), to attract talent and financing, so I wanted to have greater detail than typical previz. Daz models allowed me to provide much greater detail than the producer and FX supervisor were ever expecting for a limited budget. Animated and rendered in Lightwave 9.3. More info in the YT description.

Military tech visualization- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tua3INMRV18
This was designed to attract development financing from military contractors (also shown to U.S. Joint Chiefs), demonstrating how various mobile tech devices could aid in combat. Again, Daz models allowed me to deliver much more detailed renders than the client expected for the budget. Animated and rendered in Lightwave 9.6.

For those unfamiliar, here's an excellent demonstration of the purpose of previsualization in film making. https://vimeo.com/13626387

MCT_Example.jpg
632 x 474 - 88K
Example_01.jpg
635 x 479 - 86K
Post edited by Mr Rid on

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,457
    edited December 1969

Great way to put DAZ content to good use. Both work well. I thought the first Angel video was quite cinematic with some good staging and camera angles and even without the dialogue the rules of engagement between the angel/demons/humans all made sense. The only questions I have, is where do you sign up to find previs gig opportunities and how much can one make (which obviously would vary) because it looks like an extremely fun and creative way to make a living!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
    edited December 1969

Daz models allowed me to deliver much more detailed renders than the client expected for the budget. Animated and rendered in Lightwave 9.6.

Very interesting post, thanks. I also have Lightwave, but have been using Carrara for animation due to its ability to load Poser content directly from the Carrara browser. This means it links directly to each individual element's runtime, and includes all the pose dials, morphs, etc., just as though you were in Poser itself. I have heard that Lightwave can load Poser style content, do you think it is as easy as it is in Carrara? I am concerned that DAZ' support for Carrara is less than encouraging. B-{

• Mr RidMr Rid Posts: 40
    edited August 2013

PoserFusion allows realtime interchange between Poser and Lightwave, Maya, Max & C4D, to translate Poser rigs, morphs and textures, but I have not tried it yet. I usually just need the models, so I export Daz/Poser models as obj into LW without a problem. FBX export works with a few adjustments in LW, but it is usually better to re-rig in LW. Daz 3 would export all morphs as well, but that function broke with Daz 4. I have not tried it in the latest Daz 4.6. I can also export an MDD geometry cache file from Daz that LW reads, so any animation and deforms are intact, but it has no rig to further animate.

Most FX houses do previz when handling a sequence of shots. But there are companies that primarily handle previz & postviz, like Pixel Liberation Front, or Proof Inc. You may be hired for previz the same way as any other animation job- with a solid demo reel, demonstrating skills appropriate to the position applied for. There are apps and techniques (mocap & virtual capture) geared specifically for previz

Talent can spring from experience in various apps, but frankly, if you are serious about animation and hope to make a living at it, I recommend learning Maya. For better or worse, it is the industry standard, the most widely supported, and has by far the most job opportunities. However, large houses often use proprietary apps and will train new recruits with experience, or sometimes take interns. If you are freelancing off site, you may be able to use whatever app gets the job done.

But models or modeling may originate from any app, as long as it can be exported in a standard format like obj, which can be read by most animation apps. So I have used Daz models for final FX shots, like the Daz Squirrel (with added fur) for A Thousand Words- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Iu9JYD0q4 or the Daz Baby for Vampires Suck- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzpjXdxXnJg

Suck.jpg
    1790 x 832 - 822K
    SQU_Demo_0131_cc.jpg
    1200 x 645 - 391K
    Post edited by Mr Rid on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
    edited December 1969

PoserFusion allows realtime interchange between Poser and Lightwave, Maya, Max & C4D, to translate Poser rigs, morphs and textures, but I have not tried it yet. I usually just need the models, so I export Daz/Poser models as obj into LW without a problem. ... if you are serious about animation and hope to make a living at it, I recommend learning Maya.

Many thanks for the detailed response. That all sounds like good advice,and I have heard similar comments before, e.g. about Maya being the industry standard. I am not interested in getting a job in animation, its just a (very engrossing) hobby for me. And I'm not interested in modelling, rigging, etc., just creating short animations with purchased, "ready to animate" elements. When Carrara added the support for direct loading of Poser style content, I was very pleased, since I was having a LOT of trouble with Poser, especially large scenes with lots of lights, etc. I still am happy with Carrara, but its future seems dim at best, given DAZ' level of support. Another poster here is using PoserFusion with Lightwave and testing it against Carrara in a project, so I hope to get his input soon. For me, PoserFusion with Lightwave may be the future.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited August 2013

Super animations, very nice work..
    I've been using poser fusion with PP2012 for a while with Maya and 3DS, Though I'm not very good at Maya yet I'm starting my third semester this fall for Auto-desk design suite.
    I've learned enough though to figure out how to make some cool animations using just Daz And poser. Like you said it really speeds up the modeling time.

Thanks for the inspiration & sharing your work :)

Post edited by Ivy on