BACK AFTER SOME YEARS AND 6 MONTHS

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

I had some problems with Carrara 8.5 Beta, when the first serial I used expired.
So, I uninstalled it, with the DAZ Studio that I don't know how to use and have no time to learn.
Now, I need to use some old content I have bought, mainly for old versions of DAZStudio or Poser.
Can I use it in Carrara 8? I mean, installing again Carrara 8 enable me to use what type of content? This question appeared many times before, but I can't find it in the Forum.
Other than the Genesis figures, do I have restrictions in the content use, in Carrara 8?
Thank you and excuse for a many times answered question.

PS I think Carrara 8 is good enough for me to forget about 8.5 and wait (some years??) for the 9.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,043
    edited December 1969

you only need C8.5 beta for Genesis and other Daz studio triax weighted stuff
    Poser content for P7 and below fine as is any later content not using Poser's newer weightpainting system
    Fenric has a script for fixing the later stuff but needs a few other tweaks in notepad too if you really need to use it.
    but
    you can download the C8.5 beta from your account and use the serial which is perpetually updated (until we get a final product) that appears in the sticky at the top of the Carrara forum.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Carrara 6, 7 & 8 (and likely beyond) will be able to load in and use most Poser made content. Exceptions being cameras and lights. Most content made for the older versions of Daz Studio were made to work with Poser as well - that stuff will work. The exceptions here being lights, cameras, materials.

Carrara 8.5 is still I beta. It is being built to handle Genesis and content made to work with Genesis. I am no expert on the matter, but it seems that, along this path, Carrara 8.5 will possibly inherit more compatibility to work with Daz Studio files.

Hope this helps answer your question, or at the very least, helps you get, perhaps, a bit more specific.

Cheers, and welcome home to Carrara!

edited December 1969

Oh... good morning Wendy! I didn't know you were awake. Want some Java? Just made some!

edited December 1969

midnight!
    I woke up and got onto android!!!

• edited December 1969

This forum is GREAT.

I already have the answer I need.

I'm going to reinstall Carrara 8 and use the content.

When DAZ launches 8.5 I will use it.

But, for a while, Carrara 8 has more good things than I need.

Thank you all.

edited December 1969

So.... all coffee'd out? ;)

I like android in a lot of ways. But I got rid of it in favor of this little Win8 netbook.
    Win8 doesn't hold a candlestick to android in the ap store environment - and I wish they just never went that route. But it seems to be the best and most powerful Windows to date. And it runs Dogwaffle and Carrara! :)

I guess I'm addicted to Carrara - and now to Dogwaffe as well. Howler, to be more precise.

edited August 2013

one of our forum regulars, Evil Producer still uses Carrara 7
    so do not feel left behind!
    as Dartanbeck says "Carrara rocks!"

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Nelsao said:
    This forum is GREAT.

I already have the answer I need.

I'm going to reinstall Carrara 8 and use the content.

When DAZ launches 8.5 I will use it.

But, for a while, Carrara 8 has more good things than I need.

Thank you all.

You're welcome!
    I'd also like to add that the 8.5 beta really rocks. Genesis can still give the headache or two - but as Carrara, I find 8.5 to be the most optimized version so far. Not quite as stable though.

So... do YOU want a cup? It's real French stuff.

edited December 1969

Yes. Wendy is correct. Carrara 6 is still some excellent software. One thing though...
    Carrara R O C K S ! ! !
    because Wendy has made it so.
    because Wendy R O C K S ! ! !
    Oh... hmmm... evilproducer... how does he fit in?
    Oh... right! evilproducer R O C K S ! ! ! too!
    Yeah... I love this forum. Great software, great art, great conversation... a really great community! :)

DragonPlateau1.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 1M
  • edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

thank you,

I'm in Brazil and now it's time to lunch ....

But, french cofee is really good, too.

After reading the posts, I will think again about installing 8.5, instead of old 8.0.

Good advices here.

edited December 1969

Thanks Nelsao,
    I have a lot of fun in any version I have. But I currently have both 8.1 and 8.5
    Carrara 8.1 (the official) might give you less headaches, since Carrara 8.5 is till beta.

Brazil, eh? Don't you guys have some excellent coffee too? Brazilian Beans?
    I'd love to visit some day.

• edited December 1969

Thank you, Dartanbeck
    yes, we have good coffee here too.

And, yes, visit us, if you like sun, beach, forest, etc and meet lots of Carara fans.

edited December 1969

Brazil sounds like my kind of place!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited August 2013

Nelsao said:
    Dartanbeck, thank you, I'm in Brazil and now it's time to lunch .... But, french cofee is really good, too. After reading the posts, I will think again about installing 8.5, instead of old 8.0. Good advices here.

Personally, I would use the C8.1 build if you need something important, as the C8.5 is a beta release. I'm not saying not to install the C8.5 beta- just to use caution.

C8.1 and C8.5 can be installed on the same system, but they should be installed to different directories. If the installer wants to put the C8.5 beta in the same directory as the C8 production build (C8.1 I think), point it to another directory. You'll want to install C8.1 anyway, so that you can have access to the Carrara native content which includes the Wizards and data for leaves and all the included objects and shaders.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- Dart and Wendy rock as well!

And since Dart likes dragons:

Breathing-fire-final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 709K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

thank you very much for your kind words.
    You're a Carrara Master and a very nice person.

Evilproducer,
    I think I will stay with the 8.1 (already reinstalled it).
    Carrara 8.1 has so many things that it's hard to bilieve that it will grow even more.
    I use it since it was Raydream, with no animation and yes, DAZ made a great job
    introducing content management, leaving the heavy work of modeling human figures
    to a minimum.

And, more than that, gives us this comunity.

Thank you all.

edited December 1969

Thank YOU!
    But, I find that evilproducer, Head Wax, Dimension Theory, Sub7th, Phil Wilkes, Magaremoto, Koukutso, D3an, bigh, Man Stan, Holly Wetcircuit, Philip Staigerman, Howie Farkes, Mike Moir, and plenty others are far more masterful than I. I'm just an enthusiastic new kid on the block! :)

However... I guess I do feel rather 'at home' in Carrara because I can 'feel' it. I know that it can give me what I want - so, most of the time, it does!