vertex colour or ptex support

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
edited July 2018 in Product Suggestions

I have been playing with Mandelbulber 3D fractals and can export the ply exports into Zbrush and Meshlab coloured

but they have no UV mapping

and too big to UV map

likewise other unUV mapped big polypainted things I am talking 7million polygons here in contorted complex meshes!

DS can load the obj exports but of course cannot be textured

however if we had vertex colours it gets very interesting, I suspect iray could actually render them if DS saw them

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• DS does offer pTex support.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited July 2018

DS does offer pTex support.

and how does one import a mesh with it then?

I have tried a few options hoping it could, no luck

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • As I recall import the OBJ, then apply the ptex image like any other - but it's not a feature that has ever seemed very practical in this sector.

As I recall import the OBJ, then apply the ptex image like any other - but it's not a feature that has ever seemed very practical in this sector.

don't have an image sadly 

am actually unsure if it is actually ptex, (it is certainly vertex colour the obj says so in notepad) though the few I can UV map in Zbrush I have to use packed UV tiles as nothing else handles it, those obviously have textures created from polypaint by the multiple map exporter made of tiny pixels in lines and work fine in any software.

I cannot import an FBX file so far of one, DS freezes but those export with vertex colours into Ultimate Unwrap 3D so holding my breath

• With ptex you get a separate file (which is essnetially an image file with lots of rectangular or triangular tiles to be applied to the model).

ah so then this vertex colour format is another type of mesh colouring, compatible with different applications as well as some that read ptex.

pity no standardised format.