Request: accurate military uniforms and gear?

Hi,

I'm always looking for 3d models of military outfits that look just like the real thing.  Almost all of the stuff i see on daz store and on renderosity are more like military fantasy.  I included a few pictures below of the types of outfits i'm looking for.  If anyone is willing to make these that would be great.  Otherwise i'm going to have to resort to ripping outfits out of games like Arma 3 or Battlefield which i dont really want to do cause its a pain to get them adapted to a Daz body.

The uniform is called the Combat Uniform and the shirt has two styles, though i prefer the one with the cloth fabric in the center and the heavier cloth on the sleeves like shown in the first pic.  Second pic shows the MOLLE style vest, 3rd pic is the ACH/MICH or Advanced Combat Helmet/Modular Integrated Communications Helmet.  Last pic is of the AN/PVS-7 Night Vision Goggles (NVG) system.  It can be worn with a head harness or attached to the helmets.  The helmet shown in the picture is the older styles "Fritz" helmet but the NVG adapters are the same.  I just couldnt find a good pic of a ACH/MICH with the PVS-7 installed. 

https://i.imgur.com/MxOTH7Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cHUpEia.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I92iMg5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/05dCBTn.jpg

Comments

• edited July 2018

I was looking for the exact style of combat pants, combat shirt, ACH/MICH helmet that i posted in my pictures.  I can probably model the PVS-7 myself and i've already done a sort of prototype of one in blender but the dimensions arent accurate cause i just eyeballed it. Lots of games have the types of outfit i'm looking for but for Daz and Renderosity all i see are the previous generation style of uniform.  The one you linked would have been perfect if the creator had spent a little more time and made some proper ALICE style LBE instead of that generic backpack.

Here are some more pics of the type of uniform i would like to see made for Daz3d.  The pants unlike the previous generation of uniforms are worn unbloused though with the pant legs sometimes closed off with velcro.  The pants also have integrated kneepads on them.  There are two styles of Combat Shirts, one is just like a regular ACU top while the Combat shirt I am interested in has fabric in the torso area like a regular cotton T-Shirt.  Its probably a light synthetic cloth but it looks like a cotton shirt. The sleeves are of a heavier fabric and i believe the same type that the pants are made of.

https://i.imgur.com/sd5R9MU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7iaC4bP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rG3CB63.jpg

Post edited by unused account - glossedsfm on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited July 2018

The last post by Victor_B is likely to be as close as you are going to get unless you model them yourself. For (almost) modern BDUs the post by scotternjng is good as you're going to get. Hobbyists aren't required to buy new military uniforms like enlisted soldiers are when the brass keeps changing the styles, so the profits for the 3D military uniforms aren't there and so they don't get made. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

I'd pay a premium for something well done, relatively modern and with boots that actually look half-way decent. There's some great historical stuff floating around, but the modern stuff is... interpretive at best.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Realistic uniforms would be great. Unfortuantely, a lot of military uniforms tend to be designed to make V8 look sexy instead of to be functonal so they tend not to work for me. So far, the best in the store is the WWII uniform.

• The last post by Victor_B is likely to be as close as you are going to get unless you model them yourself.

I actually have the two models below. The first one is from a discontinued game called Arctic Combat.  I did a few hours of work yesterday on modifying the model so that i can import it into Fallout 4 for a private mod and its about 50% complete.  Before i'm able to make stuff on my own from scratch i want to be able to make my own high quality diffuse and normal maps which i think substance painter can do.  I could bring them over to Daz but i havent been able to find a good tutorial on how to convert from Blender to Daz.

https://imgur.com/sd5R9MU

https://imgur.com/7iaC4bP

Well DS 4.11.x broke my dForce but real modern BDUs, and the ones above are actually pretty close to realistic modern style, are actually somewhat loose and baggy and so need dForce draping to look right. Remember, the military of the US ditched that short-lived 'digital camo' they switched to for a while are are now back to the 'analogue camo' again so the newest camo in the DAZ Store is pretty accurate.

What's missing is unit, rank, nametags, and various issue that the enlisted get when they are inprocessed at MEPS.

Also, if you want the digital camo anyway it can be found in the DAZ Store too although you well need to successfuly fit it to newer generations of DAZ models and then save it as a preset for Genesis 8.

For dress uniforms & brass dress uniforms and such I've not seen any accurate ones in the DAZ Store or at Rendo (not that I've searched but they do get suggested and I've seen the old WWII brass uniforms).

Some of the stuff the OP posted in those images looks like 'hobby wear' for military and hunting enthusiasts and not actually issue to any government military personel that I've ever seen. And some soldiers do buy expensive 'enthusiast' military clothing, civilian underwear, and other items sometimes that aren't standard issue and won't be reimbursed for by the military but they are many times are allowed to keep and use such personal purchases (unless it's glaring like white t-shirt on US Army soldier and similar breaches of etiquette), although it's sort of risky when they do that.

• edited July 2018

The stuff i posted is used by the military AND used by hobbyists like paintballers.

I was prior military, did a few years as a contractor working for the military, i've been into first person shooters for a long time, and i tend to favor action/war movies over any other.  I know the difference between a generic looking uniform and the ones that are actually in use.  Or at least i retain enough sense of military style to know what is "tacti-cool" and what isnt.  The combat shirt that i mentioned which paintballers like to wear? I saw plenty of regular combat soldiers (not special forces) wearing them when they went out on convoys, or patrols.  Thats only the shirts that i saw though not the pants.  I dont know what Army regulations for dress and appearance but when i was deployed i would frequently see them wearing the Combat Uniform shirt (the style that i've posted) at the chow hall and the post exchange.  I doubt they were allowed to wear the CU at their home base back in the states since it is a Combat Uniform after all.

• Also...i doubt the people in these video are "hobbyists"

The stuff i posted is used by the military AND used by hobbyists like paintballers.

I was prior military, did a few years as a contractor working for the military, i've been into first person shooters for a long time, and i tend to favor action/war movies over any other.  I know the difference between a generic looking uniform and the ones that are actually in use.  Or at least i retain enough sense of military style to know what is "tacti-cool" and what isnt.  The combat shirt that i mentioned which paintballers like to wear? I saw plenty of regular combat soldiers (not special forces) wearing them when they went out on convoys, or patrols.  Thats only the shirts that i saw though not the pants.  I dont know what Army regulations for dress and appearance but when i was deployed i would frequently see them wearing the Combat Uniform shirt (the style that i've posted) at the chow hall and the post exchange.  I doubt they were allowed to wear the CU at their home base back in the states since it is a Combat Uniform after all.

Yes, I've seen soldiers on base decades after the Vietnam War still wearing no longer regular boots and getting away with it. Also seen plenty of brand-new gortex jackets, dry-cleaned & starched BDUs (technically not allowed) and other such 'military garb' and 'military garb presentation' that isn't regulation allowed on base and in formation too. 

That's the problem with your original post - in you ask for accurate military wear. The word accurate forces the reader to actually refer to military regulations and military issue based on those regulations. And military garb created for enthusiasts not listed anywhere in those regualtions can't be called accurate. For accurate you need to match your pictures with the currect current written military regs (LOL, if you can keep up with the brass's desire to new styles of garb and actually find the actually written reg that allows it) so  the 3D model maker is not chasing down dozens of different individual soldiers and ex-soldiers ideals of what is or is not 'accurate military uniforms'. That question is answered and it's in the written regs.

• edited July 2018

"That's the problem with your original post - in you ask for accurate military wear."

And in my original post I also posted pictures to show exactly what I wanted.

Are you trying to tell me that after me being very specific with how i worded my request, after providing 7 pictures of the style of uniform that i wanted, pointing out distinguishing features on that uniform,  that someone willing to fulfill that request is going to see the words "accurate military uniform" and disregard everything else i said and all the pictures and videos i linked, and go look up the regulations and make a 3d model based on their interpretation of what the regulations say?

"That's the problem with your original post - in you ask for accurate military wear."

And in my original post I also posted pictures to show exactly what I wanted.

Are you trying to tell me that after me being very specific with how i worded my request, after providing 7 pictures of the style of uniform that i wanted, pointing out distinguishing features on that uniform,  that someone willing to fulfill that request is going to see the words "accurate military uniform" and disregard everything else i said and all the pictures and videos i linked, and go look up the regulations and make a 3d model based on their interpretation of what the regulations say?

You need to point to the regs to show that it is accurate military reg uniforms in those pictures, otherwise you may as well be posting pictures out of Victoria's Secret catalogue, that's what I'm saying. Someone that is motivated by the words 'accurate military uniform' needs to have confidence in the pictures you have posted actually being regulation issued military garb and not personal clothing whims, of which people have many.

If you just want clothing that is accurate to what is in the pictures, military regulation or not, that is another matter entirely, but then a 3D modeler would strive to make their models accurate to the source references anyway so the would accurate is sort of indicting past and future 3D modelers efforts, though we know you probably didn't intend that.  

So that's what I'm saying. People in the Products Suggestions ask for accurate military clothing all the time but the PAs have little financial motivation to create it and even less factual basis to have confidence that what you are asking for is official military reg issue and so even less reason to produce it. Those pictures don't site the regs that allow them, so point them to a link with the regs that allow it and then they can have confidence that whether you mean accurate with regards to what the military regs say or accurate to what the pictures depict (which is what 3D modelers strive for already by the way), and the pictures don't make any mention of any military regs anywhere in the image.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915

As this thread has unfortunately become mired in dispute it is being locked.

This discussion has been closed.