Scene loading time taking a long long time

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello i started a scene, loaded a background then added a character (genesis) and saved it. The memory size was around 60 Mb. The scene took about 60 seconds to load which is slow but bearable.

I then added a series of walk animation to the character using animate, over the course of about 2000 frames. I then saved the file. closed it and reopened it and it now takes about 3 minutes to load.

I then added in two more genesis characters and gave them animations too over the course of the same 2000 frames. The scene now takes about 5 minutes to load and complains of low memory.

I have a i7 2600K with 16GB of 1600MHz memory.

This load time is now unbearable. I like to save frequently as I work, I have had bad experience with Daz crashing between saves.

I wanted to have about 7-8 genesis characters in my scene all moving at once over the entire animation of 2000 frames (30 FPS) ~ 1 minute animation.

This now seems unworkable and the program has slowed to a crawl, is this normal behavior or is something wrong with my Daz Studio?

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually that sounds about right. Think, if it takes 1 minute to load 1 genesis how long do you think it would take to load 8? 8-10 minutes maybe. If it is complaining of low memory it is because it has used all that is available. When that happens it starts writing to virtual memory which can really slow things down.

I will assume you are using Windows 7 or W8 64 bit. Because if you are not, you wont be using anywhere near the 16 gig you have. If you are running 32 bit windows, 14 gig is setting there unused. {I'm sure if I have that wrong some one will correct me}

But really, that is the loading time I would anticipate with that scene. Could be worse, I'm on a gatewayasaures rex with 1 gig and XP. Takes 15 minutes just to load the base genesis. I think you can guess why I gave up doing anything on this comp ;-)

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Just my experience :
    Same hardware config, Daz 4.6.
    I'm creating very complex scene (gallerie on renderosity) usually from 6 to 14 Go, using upto 20 M4/V4/Genesis.

Saving time : 2-5 minutes.
    Loading time : 2 hours.

Scene created with Daz 4.6 beta : Impossible to open using Daz 4.6.

Daz 4.5 : The loading process is really fast... I suppose that daz 4.6 adds a lot of check during loading process.

Julien

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,559
    edited December 1969

jpiat said:
    Just my experience :
    Same hardware config, Daz 4.6.
    I'm creating very complex scene (gallerie on renderosity) usually from 6 to 14 Go, using upto 20 M4/V4/Genesis.

Saving time : 2-5 minutes.
    Loading time : 2 hours.

Scene created with Daz 4.6 beta : Impossible to open using Daz 4.6.

Daz 4.5 : The loading process is really fast... I suppose that daz 4.6 adds a lot of check during loading process.

Julien

And I thought loading my scene (180MB on disk) with 11 figures and lots of buildings was slow when it took 5 minutes to load and save ;-)

• edited December 1969

So is this a bug then and will it be fixed soon?

It has stopped me working on my scene altogether because anything I add to it now makes the load times take so long I just don't have the time to sit and wait for it to finish.

I don't think things were this bad in previous versions, even if they did still take quite a long time to load big scenes.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,559
    edited December 1969

stwbcsuv said:
    So is this a bug then and will it be fixed soon?

It has stopped me working on my scene altogether because anything I add to it now makes the load times take so long I just don't have the time to sit and wait for it to finish.

I don't think things were this bad in previous versions, even if they did still take quite a long time to load big scenes.

I know the huge file issue happens when you are using .daz saved presents for some reason.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I really wouldn't consider it a bug, as I said that is the sort of load time I would expect in most any apps for a scene that size.

But it would still help to know what OS you are running, because with 16gig you shouldn't be running out of ram on a scene that size. I've done some rather heavy scenes; stonemasons city streets, 4 M4's, 2 V4's, and 3 vehicles, with just 6gig and no memory issues.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm going to guess that some of the items loaded are older items and free items. Some of those could have n-gons or Tri-Vert meshes, both of which DS can read and render now, but they do need converted to proper data before they can load into the render program (Daz Studio) so the long load time could be as simple as one very bad mesh, even a smaller one. And I have seen DAZ Studio FAIL and retry in a loop as Data is built for just one bad item. I've rendered larger scenes on my machine and it has half your ram, they also load much faster than hours, more like minutes.

• edited December 1969

These scene load times are terrible. Any scene with only one character and a few seconds of animation takes minutes to load.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

I did the test. 1 G2 + Hairs + Cloth + 800 frames animations took less than 5s to load on my system. Memory usage : 1Go

5 Characters + environement + cloth took 3min28 to load. Memory usage : 4 Go

My specs : Phenom II X4 955 3,2 Ghz with 12 Go Memory

I think you have a problem on your system

Many thing can slow down your computer.
    One of these could be your Antivirus program which scans every files you load. If they are huge that can lead to very long loading time

Ensure that your AV Software doesn't scan DS directories (programs and contents) and do the test again. Or simply disable it and do the test to see if it's coming from there

Sidenote. I don't have problem with current DS 4.6 to load the latest DS beta duf files but I only downloaded the beta this morning. There shouldn't have compatibility problem. The Duf format was created to eliminate this type of problem. If there is, then you should report a bug

• edited December 1969

Did you, by any chance, change the resolution level of any of your Genesis characters? I was having a similar problem to the one you described. After much troubleshooting, I finally discovered that, for some reason, changing the resolution level of my Genesis figures to the "Base Resolution" causes the scene to load MUCH slower the next time I open it. So, select all of your Genesis characters, and go to the Parameters Pane. Then, under the category General - Mesh Resolution, make sure the Resolution Level is set to "High Resolution."

I have absolutely no idea why changing mesh resolution would affect scene-loading time like this, but that is what fixed it for me anyway. Is this a bug or should it be considered normal behavior? Similarly, I found that changing the "SubDivision Level" setting does not seem to have any noticeable effect on scene-loading times. So if you want to increase tracking performance during posing, just set the SubDivision Level to 0 and then change it to 2 when you are ready to do the final render.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well after trying a scene of 4 genesis figures a Background with much detail and many props in it and then adding 2000 frames and animating all 4 of the figures, I find it is more a issue of each frame being created on the timeline. Any Camera animation adds to the load time as well to the amount of RAM needed to just HOLD the animation file after load. At a 86% Ram in use I tried to write out as a AVI. That failed and crashed DAZ Studio. I was able to do Render to Frames with no errors.

I suggest the OP cuts the Animation into smaller scene sets to be joined in a editor.