3DCoat on Sale - thoughts other than sculpting

3DCoat is on sale at a discount until August 10th or so.  I would be curious for thoughts on its features other than sculpting.  

- anyone use it for your primary UVMapper?

- anyone use it for your primary painter / texture PBR, etc?

- anyone use it for retopo and similar?

other features that should be considered?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Was just looking the other day at this... before the sale came on..

was thinking of getting the $75 one to see if I could do some extra modelling that I can’t do in Carrara ..

i think it’s Stu that has it here and he may be able to answer those Qs..

bookmarking to keep tabs on it yes

• ...somebody call....smiley

Yes to all those things thats what its for.

I initially got the cheaper version and used it for about a year quite happily before I upgraded.

I just posted a new image on Artstation, basically a couple of days work.

The workflow for "Flukeman" was to sculpt in 3DCoat ( this model was about 8 million polys) then paint straight on to vertexes/ vertices ( however you say it) The wispy hair was done in Carrara using Philemos hair converter plugin. Then just export the whole scene as an OBJ/FBX to Marmoset Toolbag for lighting and  rendering.

With this workflow I have saved so much time.

The current version has some nifty little walkthru tuts that you can access when you run the software and it takes you through the basics.

As for retopo, one of the recent additions has been the incorporation of some software called " Instant Meshes", sort of one click re-meshing/retopo

$75 is a bargain if its burning a hole in your pocket.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    I use it almost exclusively for painting diffuse textures when I need a feature Substance is still this way/that way on. In particular I like it for photo composites (and I have a Youtube tutorial for ditto). It's very easy to make brushes for.
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839

Repeating myself a little from the thread in The Commons:  take a look just at this list of introductory tutorials to see how much this software can do https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL17Z03Lf1lyKZsHLvg27ZP0kzVR_mvLpX

I initially got the cheaper version and used it for about a year quite happily before I upgraded.

That's what I was thinking... give 12 months to see if I can manage the learning curve then either upgrade or just ditch it..

Repeating myself a little from the thread in The Commons:  take a look just at this list of introductory tutorials to see how much this software can do https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL17Z03Lf1lyKZsHLvg27ZP0kzVR_mvLpX

thanks for that.. not everyone in the Carrara board visits the commons much so it's worthwhile wink

I use it almost exclusively for painting diffuse textures when I need a feature Substance is still this way/that way on. In particular I like it for photo composites (and I have a Youtube tutorial for ditto). It's very easy to make brushes for.

I shall try and find it .. thanks for the input.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

is it betteer than zbrush?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Stezza said:

Was just looking the other day at this... before the sale came on..

was thinking of getting the $75 one to see if I could do some extra modelling that I can’t do in Carrara ..

i think it’s Stu that has it here and he may be able to answer those Qs..

bookmarking to keep tabs on it yes

Hmmmm, stay with Silo 2 or try this one ??????????

@Bunyip02 I bought Silo2 a couple of years ago for $20US and have yet to use it lol

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

75 dollars for 3DCoat.

Hmm, is that the trimmed down version? I am having trouble these days scrounging up enough money for a pair of pants. California is becoming an expensive state to live in. Three of my cousins have already moved out of California. Take a look at my current pair of pants in the photo. Hah, ha, just kidding, but not by much.

beast.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K

i think it's one down from pro but one up from basic. So...maybe not full featured like pro

Stezza said:

@Bunyip02 I bought Silo2 a couple of years ago for $20US and have yet to use it lol

Am starting to get some good results from Silo and am liking it more each time I use it, but keep having big breaks in-between working on other projects.

Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

Am starting to get some good results from Silo and am liking it more each time I use it, but keep having big breaks in-between working on other projects.

I have it and like it too, but there's a sad lack of tuts.

Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

I have it and like it too, but there's a sad lack of tuts.

Fugazi1968 has a series of "pay-for" tutes over at Rendo, do a search for Silo

edited July 2018

i think it's one down from pro but one up from basic. So...maybe not full featured like pro

3dcoat.jpg
    715 x 744 - 49K
    Post edited by Stezza on

@ LightOfHeaven:  There is a book on using Silo which was out before the last update to 64 bit.

The link is to Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=antony+ward 

i have that. i just meant it seems like there arwn't many. like...can you sculpt in Silo? i think i read somewhere that you can, but i've yet to learn hoW

Well you made me open up Silo for about the third time since I bought it.  Now, I spent VERY little time on this, but you can see the results of trying to sculpt in Silo.

I loaded one of the starting figures I didn't know existed - I was looking for any primitive - and subdivided it a few times to make it high-poly.  (The 'C' key subdivides; SHIFT+C makes the high polys permanent).

I chose 'Paint Displacement' from the left-hand panel and played with the settings on the right-hand panel.

As my images show, the displacement painting is crude compared to dedicated sculpting applications.  No new polygons are created as you would get in Sculptris, etc.  This puts it on a par with Hexagon (and Carrara, although Carrara can do 3d painting (etc.) over and above displacement).

Being able to displace-paint the mesh while keeping the polygon count of an original allows the creation of morphs.  Sub-dividing beforehand will add polygons and prevent morph creation for the original. 

SiloWire.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 221K
    SiloSmooth.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 113K

TO ADD:  I've just had a look at the retopology tool, which is good to have.  Also I see that Silo can generate normal maps and displacement maps.

I guess the following workflow is possible:

1 create a mesh and make it high poly with subdivision

2 'Sculpt' ie paint displacement

3 Re-topologise to make a low-poly version

4 Generate a displacement or a normal map from the high-poly sculpted version and apply it to .... the retopologised mesh ?? or else to a saved copy of the original mesh before subdivision ??

My knowledge here is vague - I've read about stuff without trying it out yet.

But the above process and more is exactly what 3d Coat excels at - starting from sculpting - or before that the Line Tool which is a bit like Zspheres in Zbrush.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thank you everyone.  I am going to bite the 3DCoat bullet.  

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Since Carrara still is not working I also bit the bullet and got it.

They have had the ticket for about a month now and all they keep getting me to do is update video driver, and pointed me to the forums on info I requested and put up.

No change yet still dead in the water.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

They have had the ticket for about a month now and all they keep getting me to do is update video driver, and pointed me to the forums on info I requested and put up.

sad to see you still having this problem, I know I did experience it once myself and it was somehow related to openCL and my driver on my old laptop

So sorry.  Out of curiosity, are you Windows or Mac?

edited July 2018

Sorry about Carrara, Chickenman but I'm hoping that both you and Diomede will be delighted with 3d Coat.

Just this and the other thread re-awakened my interest in it but seeing you guys buying it makes me even more keen.

I just watched this video from a near beginner showing some basics.  Just at the level I need (but using an earlier version).  Looking at the presenter's playlists, there's a lot of other 3d stuff for me to to check out.  From here on I'll try to remember that this is the Carrara forum but I think this video is a nice one to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHkI46HU8c

EDIT:  in previous posts I meant to say 'Curve Tool' instead of 'Line Tool'. 

Post edited by Hermit Crab on

looks like they got an influx of funds....

me too!  angel

Diomede said:

Thank you everyone.  I am going to bite the 3DCoat bullet.  

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

The workflow for "Flukeman" was to sculpt in 3DCoat ( this model was about 8 million polys) then paint straight on to vertexes/ vertices ( however you say it) The wispy hair was done in Carrara using Philemos hair converter plugin. Then just export the whole scene as an OBJ/FBX to Marmoset Toolbag for lighting and  rendering.

With this workflow I have saved so much time.

Never heard of Marmoset Toolbag, just took a peek at the website and it looks intriguing, although I need another 3D app like I need a hole in my head... :) 
    I would need a lot more investigation but looks very reasonably priced and there is a Mac version. Gonna check out some intro tutorials.

So, in theory, I should be able to start with my low res Brash and Moxie characters, export the meshes to 3DCoat, sculpt a higher res version, and then save out a normal map to be applied to the lower res version in another program.

yee gads, there is always more to learn!