Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    ...I'm not happy with the landscape. It lacks drama.

Any ideas anyone ?

It needs a Giant Cow peeking over the hilltops at the camera.

Sticking it's tongue out.

You probably don't want to know what we did to one of our bovines today.

A hint: His name was Whopper Jr. and he was two yrs old.

The Millennium Cow will be Immune to that!

But Cows are meant to inspire Art, and if you consider that Art... fine.

A perfectly grilled T-bone steak, with a beautiful crosshatching is a work of art! ;-P

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Any ideas anyone ?

A perfectly grilled T-bone steak, with a beautiful crosshatching is a work of art! ;-PYou got that right! ;)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Any ideas anyone ?

A perfectly grilled T-bone steak, with a beautiful crosshatching is a work of art! ;-PYou got that right! ;)

That depends : Are you using a negative value in the bump channel for the cross hatching, or displacement?

The tile setting in the shader might be good for that if the grout is set properly.

As always, I'm sure there are many options.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Andrew was right about blink and you miss so much here! :) But I am glad to see so many exciting WIP's.

head wax said:
    well I;ve decided that I think by doodling. The concept of this is that the little girl is losing her childhood innocence - (not to the man) signifed by the way she is looking at the moon, and her abandoned Teddy Bear in the background. The man on the other hand is rediscovering his childhood. The dog is a blind dog that has lost it's master - who is nowhere to be found :) The whole setup is like a stage play

Yeah, I know it's s stretch.
    Amongst other things...
    I used PhilW's wonderful Linton Hall, from English Village. The curtains and newspaper are from Age of Armours' equally wonderous Studio Paris. Both come with a surfeit of props and I would highly recommend them . Both Figures are K4. The K4 on the right is the neanderthal morph and texture. The clothes are an m4 set I refitted .

So far I made the sign and if I go with this concept I'll make a few more things and say exactly what is what.
    I include the before post work image as well.

cheerios :) thanks for looking

That image is all set to haunt my nightmares, and is probably the most nightmarish paradise I've ever seen, but I really like the style of the image. It is indeed like a stage play.

I wonder where this thinking will eventually take you. Although I might be too scared to look :)...

Varsel said:
    Well here goes. I'm trying to create the landscape.
    Also made a new gate for the city. Just a bit of Asian flare to it. After all Shangri-La is supposed to be the Himalayas somewhere.

I'm not happy with the landscape. It lacks drama.

Any ideas anyone ?

I really like the idyllic valley in the mountains look. I think Evilproducer might be right about background mountains proximity, at least visually, but I am not sure you actually need to really move them back. Perhaps if the city would obscure the place where the plain curves up into the mountain, and if the mountains themselves are given a different more snowy shader, there will be enough illusion of distance. Add in some heavy fog behind the city to fake more distance, and the drama will be all there. The shape of the landscape, though, did bring to mind some Roerich paintings, and I do mean it as a compliment, since I love his work.

I think it's coming along very nicely and promises to be a gorgeous image.

Philemo said:
    Not yet a Wip, but with all those talks about NPR and the challenge theme, I would like to try (at last) something that had been nagging me for some time : Emulating engraving.

So, I'll try a tribute to Gustave Doré work :
    Gustave Doré illustration of Milton's Paradise Lost

I'm starting the Proof of Concept now and will post as soon as I get something showable (if ever :-) )

Yes, please! I'd love to something like that done in Carrara. And I hope you will share your process. The engraving simulation should simplify the shader work, though the lighting should be an interesting challenge.

Also, I think I am now going to be on a lookout for nice NPR brushes. I've tried a bunch and they really make a huge difference. If you come across some effective ones, please let us know how they look.

I have an idea for mine but the hardest part is the modelling.. I really suck at it, that's why I buy stuff!!

Anyways I have tried to model a few things for this one, a segway because that's what popped into my mind along with some telegraph poles, wires and a sign post..

Putting these together for a render with my thought pattern wasn't difficult, whether others will see what I do is another question lol

The Norfolk pine is a photo I took with my iPone4S and then stuck it onto a plane.. I told you I really suck at modelling lol

Here is my W I P before I post the final render which I played around with lighting and such and it will have no postwork added.

I hear you with regards to not liking to have to model. At least judging by this WIP, though, you are much better at modelling than I am. :)

And I think yours is the first official entry, so thank you! I really love it too. The lighting is very powerful. And it really hast this sense of a quiet moment of decision, when it seems like the worlds stays still waiting, only it really doesn't: the birds keep flying, the grass keeps swaying in the wind, only only the mind keeps still... It's a very poetic image. And I think it got me carried away a bit...

Here's the highway for my scene. There's going to be a visual gag with it, so I blurred the highway signs as I don't want to ruin the joke before the final image is posted.

Disclaimer: It will be more than be a chuckle type joke ( I hope) rather than a guffaw type joke. Just so I don't build too much anticipation for it, y'know. ;-)

Nice progress. I really like how the grass looks now. Can't wait to know what the signs say :).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 1969

Nice job Stezza! I like the camera angle you chose.

thankyou evilproducer... that was one of the more harder things to get in a position that I liked..

@Antara glad to see you get carried away with your thoughts .. love it ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Looking good Head Wax. I think you inadvertantly gave me an idea for a second entry if I have the time!

thankyou Evil, I hope you have enough time, always good to see where your head leads you :)
    looking forward to what is revealed on the signs in your work !

edited August 2013

Varsel said:
    Well here goes. I'm trying to create the landscape.
    Also made a new gate for the city. Just a bit of Asian flare to it. After all Shangri-La is supposed to be the Himalayas somewhere.

I'm not happy with the landscape. It lacks drama.

Any ideas anyone ?

hya, well traditional landscape paintings have that nice s shape or z shape that leads the eye into the painting and you have that working well,
    they also have tonal areas so quite often you will have eg light foreground, dark middle ground, light background and these tonal areas suggest depth

so in your work you could have a bright light source on the left like sunlight lighting up a small part of the foreground, maybe a light shaft to add a diagonal to balance out the lead in diagonal of the foreground path, then have the middle ground with the temple reasonably dark so that the temple is silhoetted dramatically aginst those mountains,

you could also add colours that emphasize depth s0 warm light in the foreground and blue light for the distant mountains?
    having a place for the eye to rest in the distance also works to add more interest, so maybe another very small ruined building as an example, some birds in the sky etc,

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Philemo, thos Dore illustrations are something eh? thanks for the link, really looking forward to your work , will you do it in black and white - really adds to the flavour,

stezza, brilliant image, the lighting is very crisp and all the diagonals make it really dynamic - lots to look at which I admire in a work.

That image is all set to haunt my nightmares, and is probably the most nightmarish paradise I’ve ever seen, but I really like the style of the image. It is indeed like a stage play.

I wonder where this thinking will eventually take you. Although I might be too scared to look ...

thanks Antara :) Yes I have no idea where it is going either. ! I might be too scared to look myself :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited August 2013

These entries are so inspiring! So will give it a tentative newbie try.

Lots more to go into the scene "Death In Paradise" (NOT like the TV show LOL!) which I hope to use for one of my courses.

Neander man (major major morphs from Genesis) will have a weapon/club and there will also be a hyena that he's scaring off. Have to model that which will be a serious challenge. There is a hyena on Renderosity that I think is from the LAMH artist. Have to go back and look. I'd like to try on my own first. Fingers crossed. There will be more armed hunters who have downed the mammoth in there once I get the chappie in front sorted.

The wooly mammoth I re-morphed from an obj I downloaded from Umar Muzammil at http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/mammoth-53103.html It needs rigging and the tusks need scupting/curivng to be realistic. Might add the mammoth's companions who escaped the hunters in the background area.

The hills are from multiple pieces of Carrara's object Grassy Plateau chopped and changed.

Dartanbeck's Woodland Enviro Kit for the wood logs/branches and the torch ( I love your art...thank you!!!! Please make more!)

Evil's fire worked a treat in the torch.

Some parts for the twiggy naked bushes used from Forest Elements (DAZ)

Lots of hair everywhere. All the grasses, the torch, the mammoth, Neander man head/chest and loin cloth all made from hair thanks to PhilW's tuts.

Am struggling with lots of things so it will be slow. Not sure how to get the marshy water to be more reflective and not quite so transparent. When I view the man's foot in the water shader...it's too clear, like a jacuzzi. How to make it more cloudy/opaque and parts will be red with blood when I get the wounds on the mammoth worked in.

Any help/criticism more than welcome, it's NEEDED!

Cheers, Silene

Test1.png
    1000 x 750 - 793K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr :
    This looks like it's going to be great. You are of to a good start.

Two things strike me at once. The sky and the texture on the hills.
    Try to use one of the sky's from the browser. (under misc)

The texture is something that I'm struggling with myself at the moment. It is typical for something that happens when you are converting a terrain to vertex modeler. The scale of a terrain compare to a converted terrain is different.
    If you set the top level to flat-mapping, and under the transform tab set the overall dimension between 0,01 -0,9 (thats trial and error) you will see a big difference.

The water, I hope someone of the others can help you with.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thanks folks.

I was almost ready to give this up, but after reading your responses, I found some new inspiration.

So I changed the perspective and introduced the explorers.
    I'm still working on the foreground terrain, and I think that I getting closer.
    I totally agree that the background mountains were not good enough, so that part will be redone.

This part is the bottom left 1/4 of the picture. I will make the temple city a major part in the center, with the mountain, valley side in the back.

Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 454K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Thanks folks.

I was almost ready to give this up, but after reading your responses, I found some new inspiration...

You forgot the Cow! :coolgrin:

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    laurenwbr :
    This looks like it's going to be great. You are of to a good start.

Two things strike me at once. The sky and the texture on the hills.
    Try to use one of the sky's from the browser. (under misc)

The texture is something that I'm struggling with myself at the moment. It is typical for something that happens when you are converting a terrain to vertex modeler. The scale of a terrain compare to a converted terrain is different.
    If you set the top level to flat-mapping, and under the transform tab set the overall dimension between 0,01 -0,9 (thats trial and error) you will see a big difference.

The water, I hope someone of the others can help you with.

Thanks Varsel. for your great advice..I've dumped the rubbish cliffs and am going to attempt to create my own terrain.... you make it look/sound easy but am sure I will struggle. But I now have an actual place in mind, so will try to model after that....sort of, maybe. Love your terrain...it's amazing!

Cheers, Silene

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What a wonderful set of WIPs!! It's going to be another fight to the finish. :D

After falling down a hole for a month, I am finally digging my way out again, and polishing off a few early ideas I had.

Here is the first of two WIPs I hope to have the time to submit for this round. (Lovely title, BTW, Antara!)

It's called "Ponce's Search" (for the fountain of youth).

The frigate I downloaded free from a website, and spent about 20 hours fixing it up to meet my high standard. ;) I did some research to find some authentic period 1500 Spanish flags. The ocean I created from scratch using a terrain and terrain shader, and a replicator. I built the Mayan pyramid, and shoreline from hand.

Hope to have some time to experiment with Multi-Pass and post-editing.

Ship_in_Sunset_D09d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

Lots more to go into the scene "Death In Paradise" (NOT like the TV show LOL!) which I hope to use for one of my courses.

Neander man (major major morphs from Genesis) will have a weapon/club and there will also be a hyena that he's scaring off. Have to model that which will be a serious challenge. There is a hyena on Renderosity that I think is from the LAMH artist. Have to go back and look. I'd like to try on my own first. Fingers crossed. There will be more armed hunters who have downed the mammoth in there once I get the chappie in front sorted.

The wooly mammoth I re-morphed from an obj I downloaded from Umar Muzammil at http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/mammoth-53103.html It needs rigging and the tusks need scupting/curivng to be realistic. Might add the mammoth's companions who escaped the hunters in the background area.

The hills are from multiple pieces of Carrara's object Grassy Plateau chopped and changed.

Dartanbeck's Woodland Enviro Kit for the wood logs/branches and the torch ( I love your art...thank you!!!! Please make more!)

Lots of hair everywhere. All the grasses, the torch, the mammoth, Neander man head/chest and loin cloth all made from hair thanks to PhilW's tuts.

Am struggling with lots of things so it will be slow. Not sure how to get the marshy water to be more reflective and not quite so transparent. When I view the man's foot in the water shader...it's too clear, like a jacuzzi. How to make it more cloudy/opaque and parts will be red with blood when I get the wounds on the mammoth worked in.

Cheers, Silene

Great start!

If I may, the fire can be oriented if you wish to put the flames more vertical. The real trick that I found that helps with the fire is to stick a bulb light in the middle of the fire near the base with a 3D light sphere. You'd want to set the range of the bulb fairly low, such as around 10 ft, with a high falloff, maybe around 25% or so. You'd want the color of the bulb to be similar to the base fire color, which should be nearly white.

The light sphere would be found under the light's effects tab. I would set it to realistic, and adjust the sphere so that it's just visible beyond the edge of the flame. The brightness and quality settings would be dependent on your scene.

You will want to make sure to set the fire so that it doesn't cast or receive shadows to avoid some weird artifacts.

I love the mammoth! I used the Columbian Mammoth and added Carrara dynamic hair as an experiment at one point. I should revisit it, since I understand the hair system and hair groups a bit better now.

edited December 1969

Really nice Fractal! My only concern is that the shoreline and pyramid get lost in the sky a bit.

edited December 1969

Really nice Fractal! My only concern is that the shoreline and pyramid get lost in the sky a bit.

Thanks, EP. Me 2. Thought I'd try to see if multi-pass and post-editing will help. I need to work on getting a better understanding of realistic sky effects, too. I hate that you can't directly set the sky color. (Carrara sees fit to change whatever color you set based on other settings, and I haven't figured out the logic behind it!)

edited December 1969

You can help the sky color somewhat by putting a color in the background. That trick works great as well, if you want to put something behind the atmosphere, such as a picture of a planet for those otherworldly sci-fi type pictures!

edited August 2013

laurenwbr said:

Cheers, Silene

Silene, wow this is a great start, it looks so much like those wonderful books I used to read when I was a kid about the Neanderthals etc. Brings back memories - I think I must be related to them somehow , I better check my DNA strands :)

EDit : oh I see you would like c and c , sorry

Maybe you need to fine tune your lighting?

. Have you tried upping the gamma to 2.2 :) It's the new discovery by PhilW, bless his soul. I've been using it on a lot of my renders and I find it lifghtens the shadows without blowing out the highlights.

For a good quick outdoor lighting rig... try using four distant lights at all angles of the compass pointing down at 45 degrees, make them bluish and about 35 percent light and 25 percent shadows. Then group this and duplicate it, This new set will be your groundlights. Turn off the shadows for this lot and swing them so they are all pointing up at 45 degrees from the compass points, Make these the same colour as your ground and about 12 percent.

Then do a render and see what needs to be adjusted.
    Eg you might have to adjust the strengthsm, the colours or the shadows,.
    Finally add a distant light for sunlight. Make it say 100 percent, yellow and 100 percent shadows.

this will give a reasonable approximation of out door light with fast render times.
    Lastly add lights to bring out your high points - eg in this case the fire the mammoth and the man.
    Just something subtle to make them stand out, maybe a rim light?

The composition of this is working very well. I quite like the style of the sky and the mountains.

Maybe you could add some more wild life, almost hidden for the viewer to discover. ?

edited August 2013

I was going to post this earlier, but one of our cows discovered the electric fencer somehow became unplugged and led me on a royal chase down to the neighbors and back again.

Anyway, this isn't the finished entry. It's nearly there, but I need to add some more variety to the cars. Both in colors and models. I also want to play around a bit more with the lighting.

Except for the cars, which are from Carrara's mesh models directory in the Object Browser, and Dystopia City Blocks (1-20) everything was made by me.

Shaders are all custom except for the cars and the farmland terrain shader.

The entry would be categorized as Paradise Lost.

The title is:
    Sunday Evening at the Border.

If you live in an area or state that is visited heavily by tourists, then this scene should be familiar to you at the end of the weekend. As an example, Wisconsin gets a lot of tourists from Chicago and it's suburbs, so on Sunday, the road south into Illinois is bumper to bumper. The way north is fairly deserted.

Sunday-at-the-border03.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 736K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

After falling down a hole for a month, I am finally digging my way out again, and polishing off a few early ideas I had.

Here is the first of two WIPs I hope to have the time to submit for this round. (Lovely title, BTW, Antara!)

The frigate I downloaded free from a website, and spent about 20 hours fixing it up to meet my high standard. ;) I did some research to find some authentic period 1500 Spanish flags. The ocean I created from scratch using a terrain and terrain shader, and a replicator. I built the Mayan pyramid, and shoreline from hand.

That's beautiful FD, the colours and the whole feeling of the scene is superb. It's almost as if a nasty English Frigate is about to come over the horizon and save the whole Inca civilisation .... from the nasty Spanish Inquistion :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

That's beautiful FD, the colours and the whole feeling of the scene is superb. It's almost as if a nasty English Frigate is about to come over the horizon and save the whole Inca civilisation .... from the nasty Spanish Inquistion :)

Didn't Monty Python have a running gag about the Spanish Inquisition? ;-)

edited August 2013

I was going to post this earlier, but one of our cows discovered the electric fencer somehow became unplugged and led me on a royal chase down to the neighbors and back again.

Anyway, this isn't the finished entry. It's nearly there, but I need to add some more variety to the cars. Both in colors and models. I also want to play around a bit more with the lighting.

Except for the cars, which are from Carrara's mesh models directory in the Object Browser, and Dystopia City Blocks (1-20) everything was made by me.

Shaders are all custom except for the cars and the farmland terrain shader.

The entry would be categorized as Paradise Lost.

The title is:
    Sunday Evening at the Border.

If you live in an area or state that is visited heavily by tourists, then this scene should be familiar to you at the end of the weekend. As an example, Wisconsin gets a lot of tourists from Chicago and it's suburbs, so on Sunday, the road south into Illinois is bumper to bumper. The way north is fairly deserted.

Ha, ha :) I thought it said thank you for leaving ... I heard a guy from Iowa the other day say "I was born in Iowa, went to college in Iowa, worked in Iowa, all because no one told me I was free t0 leave" Hmm what does this mean ? He also said it was so cold in Iowa that one day someone saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets. Is that near your place? :)

edited August 2013

Didn’t Monty Python have a running gag about the Spanish Inquisition? wink

edited for political correctness , sorry !
    edited August 2013

Here's a wip for a potential entry.

It gets the whole Lost and Found idea in one image, plus a bonus pun!

If it were on cheezeburger.com the caption might read:

Stoopy hooman lost dis pair-a-dice.

Kitteh found dem!

For modifying content, I had to UV map the sofa from a stock indoor scene, and the Millennium Cat's arm wasn't long enough, so I stretched it in the vertex modeler.

Edit - The Cow is hiding under the cushions, it hasn't decided where it wants to appear in the scene yet...

paira-a-dice.jpg
    800 x 600 - 470K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

RE: creating custom brushes for the Nonphoto renderer. Antara, thanks again. I was able to create and save some custom brushes by following your directions. Details are in the other thread. Evil, I tested both .jpg and .png file extensions. Each worked fine in 8.1

Laurenwbr, great start. Can't wait to see what you do with rigging the mammoth. The rigging/weightmapping system is one of my favorite features of Carrara.
    FD, I think your ocean looks amazing. What are you replicating, and how do you make it look seamless?
    Evil, your scene is my foreboding of doom - same thing happens on I-95.

edited August 2013

diomede64 said:
    FD, I think your ocean looks amazing. What are you replicating, and how do you make it look seamless?

The ocean surface is a terrain. I used a hill and added a fractal function generator. I then adjusted the size and used the replicator to create a 20x20 surface. (I'll expand it later to be sure it extends into the horizon.) There's an option at the bottom of the replicator "Seamless" which resolves the issue of edge differentiation. Also, be sure to set the size of the grid cells to be that of the size of each terrain part.

The terrain shader took a lot of time to create. I wanted some "foam" on the crests, and good refractive/reflective properties, so lots of trial-and-error.

Ocean_Terrain_2.jpg
    307 x 687 - 55K
    Ocean_Terrain.jpg
    1379 x 755 - 170K
    Post edited by FractalDimensia on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

FD - thanks - hadn't been using the grid replicator so didn't realize there was a "seamless" checkbox. Now I'm wondering about other uses for it...

And I forgot in the previous post on NPR. I tested using colors in the brush preset. Carrara appears to just convert or approximate a grey scale brush rather than use the colors in the preset. The NPR settings allow for two choices, (1) the object color, or (2) a color to be chosen from a color picker. The colors contained in the preset brush don't seem to be an option - at least that I have found.

edited December 1969

Also, I've recently purchased the Advance Pack, which includes "Replica", adding a whole new realm of abilities with replications and what you can do with them. It's amazing! You can select individual instances after the replication process, and move them around, alter shaders, etc., Pretty cool.

FD, Thanks from me too. I love write-ups like that on how you do things.

edited December 1969

EP, Varsel, Silene, Sock...
    Love the goings on! Great stuff!

I have to go through and check the rest, now.

Age of Armor,
    Thanks for sponsoring, man! Head Wax just recently shown me a link to your site. Really cool stuff you do! I want one! Always have!