Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND. Work In Progress (WIP) thread.

Comments

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

frame 3: Taxi driver opens boot, takes out his tool box which contains several saws and....

Your boots contain tool boxes and saws?!? I have enough trouble keeping just my socks and feet in them! ;-)

you Merry Cans!!
    'spose you call it a trunk
    my trees and elephants have trunks!!

You know why we call it a trunk don't you? It's because back in the early days of the auto, you could buy an optional trunk- like a an old steamer trunk or foot locker that could be strapped to the back of the car.

When I was a kid, we lived on an old farm that had a long dis-used outhouse. In the outhouse there was a magazine from the mid-1920s that had several auto advertisements and the Ford ad, actually pictured the car with the "optional" trunk.

No doubt, for the optional truck, the Brits/Aussies would have said "Someone gave me the boot!"

edited December 1969

I think this may be the best contest yet! I can't wait to see all the final works. There's some really excellent works!

In the famous words of Cleavon Little (Sheriff Bart) in "Blazing Saddles" ... "Excuse me, while I WIP this out."

I'm hoping to finish up a few more items before I kick off my final render, since I may need 2 days just to do the render. Here's something I'm working on. Still working on the dolphin's color and I'm not happy with the water spray, so may pull this if I can't fix it before it's time.

Ship_in_Sunset_D19b.jpg
    960 x 540 - 370K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited August 2013

I think this may be the best contest yet! I can't wait to see all the final works. There's some really excellent works!

In the famous words of Cleavon Little (Sheriff Bart) in "Blazing Saddles" ... "Excuse me, while I WIP this out."

I'm hoping to finish up a few more items before I kick off my final render, since I may need 2 days just to do the render. Here's something I'm working on. Still working on the dolphin's color and I'm not happy with the water spray, so may pull this if I can't fix it before it's time.

That looks really good so far!

If you have the time, try combining the spray with a volumetric cloud to see what you get. To save time, you could save a new version of your scene and delete everything except the lights, atmosphere, ocean,dolphin and particles. Apply a shadow catcher to the ocean, dolphin, and particles. Put in your cloud, enable the Render Alpha Channel box (don't use pre-multiplied) in the render room and render. Composite the cloud render with your final render in your image editor. The objects with the shadow catcher will act as masks for anything behind them.

A simpler thing could be just to render a cloud with your scene lighting with the render settings described above and composite, but may require a little more work in your photo editor to combine them.

The simplest of course is to render it all in one go, but it could add to the render time.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest idea for the contest. It's still in the WIP stage. I call it The Apple, and it's supposed to be a call back to the Genesis story but with a Darwinian twist. Also, how could I not put in an homage to, 2001: A Space Odyssey? I guess I'm wondering if the obelisk is too obvious? Should I place it so that the viewer sees it, but maybe doesn't realize they see it at first?

I'm also posting screen shots of the apple I made and the shader. I like how it came out. The colors could be a little more subtle, but I wanted to draw the eye to the apple, which is why I'm wondering about the obelisk.

The-Apple.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 647K
    Picture_4.png
    1064 x 696 - 234K
    Picture_3.png
    1069 x 701 - 215K
    Picture_2.png
    1066 x 712 - 214K
    Picture_1.png
    967 x 745 - 128K
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest idea for the contest. It's still in the WIP stage. I call it The Apple, and it's supposed to be a call back to the Genesis story but with a Darwinian twist. Also, how could I not put in an homage to, 2001: A Space Odyssey? I guess I'm wondering if the obelisk is too obvious? Should I place it so that the viewer sees it, but maybe doesn't realize they see it at first?

I'm also posting screen shots of the apple I made and the shader. I like how it came out. The colors could be a little more subtle, but I wanted to draw the eye to the apple, which is why I'm wondering about the obelisk.

Thanks, EP, for the suggestions. I'll give it a go later this weekend.

For me, I think you did the trick. I didn't notice the obelisk until I had taken in the foreground. As soon as I saw it, I thought "2001" and THEN read your post. Looks good IMHO!

edited December 1969

Thanks, EP, for the suggestions. I'll give it a go later this weekend.

For me, I think you did the trick. I didn't notice the obelisk until I had taken in the foreground. As soon as I saw it, I thought "2001" and THEN read your post. Looks good IMHO!

Thanks Fractal!

I should have mentioned, the idea for the cloud with the particles is to suggest more atomized water droplets. The cloud would be very faint or wispy I would think. Hope the suggestion helps! Good luck!

• GarethGareth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like how the ship looks like it's actually plowing through the waves, looks really nice :)

edited December 1969

It's always good to see carrarans using the vertex modeling room :) Really liking your scene!

edited December 1969

Here is the WIP image, the finished render will use @zgock's amazing plugin YAToon. :)

WIP_01.JPG
    1589 x 869 - 374K
    edited December 1969

Here is the WIP image, the finished render will use @zgock's amazing plugin YAToon. :)

Dang nice, Gareth! Can't wait to see a render.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 1969

looks very cute :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Title - Two tickets to paradise - final entry (number 2 for me)

- 3 original or modified items with notes on creation/modification process,
    1) computer monitor - modeled and uvmapped in vertex modeler - screen shot buying tickets saved to uvmap in photoshop elements
    2) computer keyboard - modeled in vertex modeler. Started with grid with enough polygons for keys, etc. Added thickness. Selected keys area on top and extruded without linking. Repeated for space bar, etc. For grins, uvmapped and painted the letters on the keys.
    3) printer - modeled and uvmapped in vertex modeling room. Added bones so that the top could be opened and closed.
    (everything else was also made using Carrara's modelers).

- Content credits

no content

- General process description

Made and uvmapped some office equipment in C8.1. Added 3 point lighting and a softer central bulb light. Took a screen shot of a list of upcoming Eddie Money appearances. Used Photoshop to apply the screen shot to the uvmap of the computer monitor screen. I hope that is not a violation of some sort.

Just playing around in the vertex modeling room on a rainy vacation day. Have my laptop but not my desktop or content storage media. Image and screen shot of my C8.1 assembly room attached.

2nd_entry_screen_shot.JPG
    989 x 731 - 110K
    september_2nd_entry_eddie_money.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 116K
    edited December 1969

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work diomede! Is that the toon shaders you're using?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

No. Here is what it looks like using the toon shader in the scene filter. Probably shouldn't have called the previous submission final - I think I might like the toon version better. Anyway, just playing around.

toon_version.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 155K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    No. Here is what it looks like using the toon shader in the scene filter. Probably shouldn't have called the previous submission final - I think I might like the toon version better. Anyway, just playing around.

I agree, this one looks much cooler.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

splendiferous! I agree with evil as well, it's a great effect.

edited December 1969

Hello Fractal, the lighting effects are beautiful, the ocean very realistic. Maybe you should do the water effects in post?
    Either with a brush or render them separately so you can control them?

edited December 1969

evil I love that movie, it's a genius twist you have made for the scene, joining the two 'myths' together (no insult to Arthur c Clarke or the Writers of the Old Testament intended :) )

edited December 1969

Gareth, the feeling of childhood innocence you have achieved is really resonating with me. You should do kid's books eh?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    @Antara

Thanks for all that info - a lot to digest, so I've made a copy for later:)

You are right - best to just render all passes and play around in Gimp, see how they can be combined to best advantage.

Your and head wax's latest renders are superb!

Cheers

thanks Roygee, you are a bathroom renovator with style, wit and good taste :)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    wow .. 16 pages of WIP so far..

Hard to keep up with it all..

bits and pieces to make the truck look like a fire truck update..

got to work with the shaders now for the firemen to represent my locale.. and get some fire burning

Stezza, great and methodical job you are doing. You not a fireman by any chance ? :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 1969

lol.. I bet my missus wishes I was :coolsmile:

closest I done was emergency comms during the 1994 Sydney fires.. that was scarey enough!

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    lol.. I bet my missus wishes I was :coolsmile:

closest I done was emergency comms during the 1994 Sydney fires.. that was scarey enough!

hehe, :) The only fireys I know spend all day surfing, they obviously have waterproof mobile phones in their wetties

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Well here it is, my contribution
    Title : Shangri-La

Content :
    Predatron :
    Lorenzo Lorez with my own created freebie clothing. Both for soldiers and natives.
    LoRez Donkey
    LoRez Monk (with custom shaders)
    LoRez Cow
    LoRez Crow

Trees are some of Howie's from Arboretum Vol 01 and Maple Meadows.

Hdri from Cloud Nine by DimensionTheory

Carrara Items
    Front and middle terrain (created separately) converted to vertex objects and remodeled and adjusted.
    Then painted distribution maps, and texture mixer maps.
    Back terrain is a very large mountain terrain.

Buildings created with ArchiTools.
    Fence to keep the cows in the picture is created in the vertex modeler.

All textures are own creation or modified beyond recognition.

I started this picture with the vision of 1900 centuries explorers discovering the mythical Emerald City of Shangri-La.
    Somewhere in the process, when experimenting with ArchiTools, I realized that the idea of having a concept sketch should not be underestimated.
    Having a vision is fine, but sketch it first.....

But I did learn how to use ArchiTools.

There are 385 objects, 107 shaders, 3 lights and 1 hdri.
    Render time is 1h and 26 min at 1920x1080

So now its time to get the upgrade, and clean my hard-drive and reinstall all my Carrara Content and plug-ins.

ShangriLa01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 412K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Title - Two tickets to paradise - final entry (number 2 for me)

- 3 original or modified items with notes on creation/modification process,
    1) computer monitor - modeled and uvmapped in vertex modeler - screen shot buying tickets saved to uvmap in photoshop elements
    2) computer keyboard - modeled in vertex modeler. Started with grid with enough polygons for keys, etc. Added thickness. Selected keys area on top and extruded without linking. Repeated for space bar, etc. For grins, uvmapped and painted the letters on the keys.
    3) printer - modeled and uvmapped in vertex modeling room. Added bones so that the top could be opened and closed.
    (everything else was also made using Carrara's modelers).

- Content credits

no content

- General process description

Made and uvmapped some office equipment in C8.1. Added 3 point lighting and a softer central bulb light. Took a screen shot of a list of upcoming Eddie Money appearances. Used Photoshop to apply the screen shot to the uvmap of the computer monitor screen. I hope that is not a violation of some sort.

Just playing around in the vertex modeling room on a rainy vacation day. Have my laptop but not my desktop or content storage media. Image and screen shot of my C8.1 assembly room attached.

Very nice modeling :) that keyboard looks great!

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Content :
    Predatron :
    Lorenzo Lorez with my own created freebie clothing. Both for soldiers and natives.
    LoRez Donkey
    LoRez Monk (with custom shaders)
    LoRez Cow
    LoRez Crow

Trees are some of Howie's from Arboretum Vol 01 and Maple Meadows.

Hdri from Cloud Nine by DimensionTheory

Carrara Items
    Front and middle terrain (created separately) converted to vertex objects and remodeled and adjusted.
    Then painted distribution maps, and texture mixer maps.
    Back terrain is a very large mountain terrain.

Buildings created with ArchiTools.
    Fence to keep the cows in the picture is created in the vertex modeler.

All textures are own creation or modified beyond recognition.

I started this picture with the vision of 1900 centuries explorers discovering the mythical Emerald City of Shangri-La.
    Somewhere in the process, when experimenting with ArchiTools, I realized that the idea of having a concept sketch should not be underestimated.
    Having a vision is fine, but sketch it first.....

But I did learn how to use ArchiTools.

There are 385 objects, 107 shaders, 3 lights and 1 hdri.
    Render time is 1h and 26 min at 1920x1080

So now its time to get the upgrade, and clean my hard-drive and reinstall all my Carrara Content and plug-ins.

That's a lot of objects! That path heading to the city looks fantastic. :)

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Nice finish, Varsel. I really like the whole scene. Some nice touches like the flock of birds in the background. Well done!

edited December 1969

Now we just have to get the official entry thread up, so that all these C8.5 threads get buried in lieu of the important threads such as this!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 1969

some really great stuff getting posted...

I'm at the stage of getting some fire and smoke happening with several lights and clouds.. I have re shaded the fireman outfit and trying to get Dartanbeck's trees burning

wip_isuzu4.jpg
    784 x 496 - 253K