Trouble installing Carrarra 8 pro Upgrade

Tiger66Tiger66 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am having issues installing carrarra 8 pro Upgrade. I have Carrarra 5 pro running on my system and all seems well. Try to install 8 pro upgrade and the Install Manager fires up to the log in which I do ok but then there are no files shown. I have hidden files checked.
My system died recently and I had to build a new one, so I have had this all up and running on my old system(now dead) and the Install Manager is all new to me. I'm sure I am overlooking some basic item, but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I don't have C8 or the install manager, so I'm afraid I'm not much help, except to bump the thread in the hope of someone with actual knowledge seeing it and responding to it.

Good luck!

P.S. Have you looked at the Carrara Information Manual thread, stickied at the top of the forum page?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Tiger66 said:
    I am having issues installing carrarra 8 pro Upgrade. I have Carrarra 5 pro running on my system and all seems well. Try to install 8 pro upgrade and the Install Manager fires up to the log in which I do ok but then there are no files shown. I have hidden files checked.
    My system died recently and I had to build a new one, so I have had this all up and running on my old system(now dead) and the Install Manager is all new to me. I'm sure I am overlooking some basic item, but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
    Hmmmm... I have not actually tried installing Carrara using the Install Manager yet, but that might be the problem. Not sure. Try going to your account's 'Product Library' again - okay I just looked in my account, and it shows that Carrara software doesn't have "Install Manager Ready" installation method. So just download the appropriate files and install as you normally would, without the manager. The install Manager IS capable of installing your Carrara content... you just need to set up DIM to recognize your Carrara installation.
  • Tiger66Tiger66 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I go to my product Library and select the Carrarra 8 pro upgrade and the green download button says that the latest version of the install manager is required. I do have the latest version, however clicking on the button does nothing but bring up the Install manager without any file downloaded. I wish I could do the old method which is what I did for C5 Pro. I did point Install Manager to the C5Pro upgrade directory.
    I am officially confused.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You don't need to use DIM at all. There should be a choice of downloading the regular installer.

Wait, I just checked you're right, DIM is the only option for the upgrade. But that is the upgrade, in your products list don't select the upgrade, there should be a separate listing for C8pro, that would be the download you want.

I will cut DAZ a bit of slack here and assume the "upgrade" with no zip is for upgrading C8 to C8 pro and assumes you already have C8 installed. Other wise that is just something else for me to rip about. The more DAZ trys to force DIM off on me the more infuriated I get.

Down with DIM
    Down with DIM
    Down with DIM
    :cheese:

Hell, I have ADHD, and dyslexia, and I can manage to download and install content without any help, thank you very much. The more I read about it the less useful it sounds. As in if I was to ever use it it would be to download all, or a big part of my mass of content. So if something came up I could pause it, or if connection was lost I could just pick it up from there later. And that way I wouldn't have to worry about downloading the same item 2 or 3 times, or I could let it run while I was out or asleep and pause it when I get back. Guess what, it doesn't work that way. Or how about just downloading the items on my filtered list? Nope, DIM is absolutely no use to me at all.

edited December 1969

Well I appreciate the help everyone. I have downloaded C8 successfully and now my past mistake has come to bite me in the butt.
    When C8Pro came out I was in such a hurry to get it I bought C8 by mistake. I had to get hold of DAZ to explain my mistake and after much go around they let me pay the difference between the two upgrades to get C8Pro. Bottom line is my account doesn't have a serial number for C8 which evidently needs to be completely set up on my PC so as to allow the Download Manager to recognize that I can have the C8Pro files to upgrade. Oh so confused and frustrated.

edited December 1969

Sure you do - go to your account and find the "My Serial Codes" tab :)
    Sorry for the frustration. It's actually getting easier than what it used to be.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sure you do - go to your account and find the "My Serial Codes" tab :)
    Sorry for the frustration. It's actually getting easier than what it used to be.

In your opinion :-P

edited August 2013

Ok, I am now up and running Carrarra 8 Pro! Very grateful for everyone's help. Now that that is done I would like to share my experience with this process.

come to find out the C8 Pro was already installed when I did the C8? or it did it automatically when running the install manager. Not sure. The C8 Pro came up after I entered the C8 Pro serial Number in the C8 entry box ( Hey I was desperate )

The new Download manager is all new to me. I am not sure how I am going to like it. It downloads a bunch of stuff onto my system, but I am not sure yet how much control I have over just what gets downloaded. I do see I can be selective on what I install and as I have a fair size drive I am ok with this right now. I need to investigate further.

The fact that I somehow got the C8 Pro installed with no real feedback from the system is a little stramge. I selected the C8 download and that downloaded. The jump to C8 Pro happened when I entered the C8 Pro serial number in the C8 registration box. As best as I can figure. At no time did I get feedback that C8 Pro had been successfully downloaded. Maybe the C8 and C8 Pro download is the same and the serial number determines what you get??? I will have to see how the Install Manager works out as I re-install my stuff over the next few days.

Thanks again for the help guys.

P.S. I scrounged thru my Serial Numbers and didn't see the C8 serial number but got the idea to try the C8 Pro number as a result. Guess it all worked out so I am happy.

Post edited by Tiger66 on
    edited December 1969

Tiger66 said:
    Ok, I am now up and running Carrarra 8 Pro! Very grateful for everyone's help. Now that that is done I would like to share my experience with this process.

come to find out the C8 Pro was already installed when I did the C8? or it did it automatically when running the install manager. Not sure. The C8 Pro came up after I entered the C8 Pro serial Number in the C8 entry box ( Hey I was desperate )

The new Download manager is all new to me. I am not sure how I am going to like it. It downloads a bunch of stuff onto my system, but I am not sure yet how much control I have over just what gets downloaded. I do see I can be selective on what I install and as I have a fair size drive I am ok with this right now. I need to investigate further.

The fact that I somehow got the C8 Pro installed with no real feedback from the system is a little stramge. I selected the C8 download and that downloaded. The jump to C8 Pro happened when I entered the C8 Pro serial number in the C8 registration box. As best as I can figure. At no time did I get feedback that C8 Pro had been successfully downloaded. Maybe the C8 and C8 Pro download is the same and the serial number determines what you get??? I will have to see how the Install Manager works out as I re-install my stuff over the next few days.

Thanks again for the help guys.

P.S. I scrounged thru my Serial Numbers and didn't see the C8 serial number but got the idea to try the C8 Pro number as a result. Guess it all worked out so I am happy.

From what I've read, the versions are the same, but the C8 Standard serial number unlocks only the C8 Standard functionality. The Pro serial number unlocks all the features. I could be wrong on that though.

edited August 2013

OK so now I am starting to see the frustration that some others have been having with the DAZ Install Manager.

I have installed on my system c5 Pro, C8 Pro 32 bit and C8 Pro 64 bit, Installed in that order.

I want to now add the DAZ Carrarra Native content that came with C8 into the C8 Pro 64 bit. I have gone thru multiple iterations of uninstalling and reinstalling and still cannot get C8 64 bit to see that content. There are no options to select C8 Pro 64 bit from the DIM???

The tutorials available online for DIM don't match my version of DIM, an "Install Where" button that doesn't show up on my version (just updated it today). The idea of a DIM sounds good and it seems to imply I can do what I want but nothing in the Users or Reference Manual gives me anything to go by. Do I need to create a C8 Content folder and point both versions of C8 to that one folder? Guess I will try that, but seems like I should be able to do that through DIM. Wasn't the idea to make it easier to manage a bunch of content?

I am still learning this piece of software ( thought I was gonna say something else ? ) so I will continue with my efforts. Would be nice to render in C8 Pro 64 tonight, but not looking good.

If any designers are reading: It seems like a great idea, just not intuitive for me. Maybe it's just me. I've added both C8 Pro versions to the applications in DIM. An option where when I install some content I could point it to a drop down item telling what app I wanted to add it to would be handy. My two cents worth.

Post edited by Tiger66 on
    edited December 1969

How about this? skip the DIM. Carrara's native content should be installed to the same directory as Carrara.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Carrara content doesn't install to the installation folder you select, which is just for DS/Poser content. For Carrara content it installs to the appropriate subfolder of the Carrara application folder. Go to Settings > Applications and make sure that the appropriate versions of Carrara are listed.

edited December 1969

Reinstalled the Carrarra Content manually as suggested and selected the 64 bit version and all installed properly.

Well it seems that I allowed myself to go down a tangent when I started using the DIM. Might work great for DAZ Studio, but I tried to use on C8 Pro with problems. Well using the wrong tool for the job starts you in the hole and I kept digging.

Thanks for helping this old dinosaur.

And yes I have been rendering tonight in C8 Pro 64 bits. Love to see those six cores hammering away.

edited December 1969

Tiger66 said:
    Reinstalled the Carrarra Content manually as suggested and selected the 64 bit version and all installed properly.

Well it seems that I allowed myself to go down a tangent when I started using the DIM. Might work great for DAZ Studio, but I tried to use on C8 Pro with problems. Well using the wrong tool for the job starts you in the hole and I kept digging.

Thanks for helping this old dinosaur.

And yes I have been rendering tonight in C8 Pro 64 bits. Love to see those six cores hammering away.

Oh man, I'm so glad - that truly IS a wonderful sight isn't it? :)
    edited December 1969

Okay... My satellite connection is acting wonky tonight, so I hope this gets through.....

I'm glad you were able to get up and running.

I'm sure as files are updated, DAZ will get the install manager and DIM to work better with Carrara!

Happy rendering!