New Object Oddness

pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey all,

Before I submit a bug report and waste peoples time, I thought I'd try here to see if anyone has suggestions as to what might be happening.

I have an existing scene, fairly complicated, that when I insert a new object (primitive, vertex, whatever) the size displayed is exactly 40% larger than the size I request. So for example, if I insert a cube 1meter on each size (entering in the size fields on the motion tab), I get a cube that is 1m on each size on the sceeen, but the size displayed is 1.4m. I know the actual size is 1m as I can compare it to an existing object that is 1m in the scene, which incidentally displays it's size correctly as 1m. The display error only happens to objects that are new in the scene.

This does not happen on new scenes. If I load the scene file onto another computer with Carrara, I get the same effect as described above.

Anyone have an idea? I really don't have the time to recreate my scene just to fix this..

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Any chance IMPORTing it into a new empty scene will work?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

what version Carrara are you using ?

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited August 2013

0oseven said:
    what version Carrara are you using ?

8.1.1 Pro Build 12 64bit. I was about to try to see if the problem was the same in the 8.5 beta, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Again though it only seems to happen with this one complicated scene file.
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

pnewhook said:
    So for example, if I insert a cube 1meter on each size (entering in the size fields on the motion tab), I get a cube that is 1m on each size on the screen, but the size displayed is 1.4m. I know the actual size is 1m as I can compare it to an existing object that is 1m in the scene, which incidentally displays it's size correctly as 1m. ..

I'm confused....how exactly are you adding the new object? Could you tell us the exact procedure you're using? How do you set the object size in the motion tab, and then somehow it changes to an incorrect value?

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Any chance IMPORTing it into a new empty scene will work?

Hey, that worked! Fixed the scaling problem perfectly. Thanks!
    edited December 1969

pnewhook said:
    So for example, if I insert a cube 1meter on each size (entering in the size fields on the motion tab), I get a cube that is 1m on each size on the screen, but the size displayed is 1.4m. I know the actual size is 1m as I can compare it to an existing object that is 1m in the scene, which incidentally displays it's size correctly as 1m. ..

I'm confused....how exactly are you adding the new object? Could you tell us the exact procedure you're using? How do you set the object size in the motion tab, and then somehow it changes to an incorrect value?

Yea it's weird. Here's what I do:
    - open my scene file
    - in the menu, click Insert->Cube
    - under the motion tab in the object browser, in the Size fields for X, Y, Z, if I type a "1" it changes to "1.4". but the size of the object is actually "1" if I measure it against a known object in the scene

Nothing else is wrong at all.

But as someone suggested, opening a new scene then importing my old scene cleared the problem.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

My first thought is maybe you have some parenting thing going on....not sure what would cause that, but maybe you're inserting the new object as a child of something else and that's affecting it?? It might not be a bug, but just some feature engaging that we haven't yet figured out.

In any case you shouldn't have to go thru extra steps like importing.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Do you get the issue if you Save As and save the scene with a different name? Maybe there's some kind of file corruption.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why are you doing it that way? Seems a rather round about way to drop in a prim and size it.

tsts.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 407K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Stan, when you say tap, do you mean give it a single mouse click to select it?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

hi pnewhook
    when I am working on a big scene say 1.2 gig, sometimes Carrara starts acting crazy when I duplicate an object.
    It will place the new object rotate it resize it how it likes.
    I can copy and paste it without this happening.
    Carrara is storing the last relative duplication somewhere and then not clearing that little bit of memory
    so a new duplicate will assume the relative parameter changes of the old duplication

I'm guessing your problem is similar, that Carrara has decided to stack an overflow, or blow a hexadecimal unit or cream its preferences txt...
    restarting carrara fixes it for me,

something we have to live with I guess :).
    not the worst bug

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

Tap to open the prim menu and tap to drop the box ;-)

The sphere is actually a great help when setting up lights, so I got this down pat :lol: .

Drop in your sphere, quick jump to the shader room, set the sphere alpha to 50%, back to the assembly room and center the sphere over the light. Now you can size your sphere to check your light distance :cheese:

Same thing to check focal distance.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

The sphere is actually a great help when setting up lights, so I got this down pat :lol: .

Drop in your sphere, quick jump to the shader room, set the sphere alpha to 50%, back to the assembly room and center the sphere over the light. Now you can size your sphere to check your light distance :cheese:

your not just a pretty face after all ManStan :)

edited December 1969

My first thought is maybe you have some parenting thing going on....not sure what would cause that, but maybe you're inserting the new object as a child of something else and that's affecting it?? It might not be a bug, but just some feature engaging that we haven't yet figured out.

In any case you shouldn't have to go thru extra steps like importing.

Good thought, but no, its at the root of the scene. No parent

edited December 1969

Do you get the issue if you Save As and save the scene with a different name? Maybe there's some kind of file corruption.

Yup tried that. Save As and reload does not fix the issue.
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Hey Stan,

Yes I use primitives to check distances between objects all the time. Which is why when they started reporting a different size than they actually are I was getting annoyed.
    Using your method of dropping in a primitive with the primitive tray gives exactly the same incorrect results as dropping it in with the menu.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    hi pnewhook
    when I am working on a big scene say 1.2 gig, sometimes Carrara starts acting crazy when I duplicate an object.
    It will place the new object rotate it resize it how it likes.
    I can copy and paste it without this happening.
    Carrara is storing the last relative duplication somewhere and then not clearing that little bit of memory
    so a new duplicate will assume the relative parameter changes of the old duplication

I'm guessing your problem is similar, that Carrara has decided to stack an overflow, or blow a hexadecimal unit or cream its preferences txt...
    restarting carrara fixes it for me,

something we have to live with I guess :).
    not the worst bug

Yes I see lots of issues with Carrara on some scenes. Some I've been able to narrow down the exact sequence of events that cause it and I report it to the bug list. Others just seem to happen for no reason that I can find (disappearing drop down menus is a big annoying one right now). Restarrting Carrara almost always helps, but not for this scaling issue unfortunately.