Animation of many individual strands of long hair

I would like to know if it is possible to make an animation of close-ups of many individual strands of hair flying about in a strong wind. I have seen videos that have strand hair just wiggling about in clumps, but never a video of say a close-up of a woman's face with many wispy long strands of hair blowing about her face from a strong wind.

This can easily be done with a real life model who has long straight silky hair, a big fan blowing on her head, and a video camera using a close-up, but can it be done as an animation in Carrara?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I think it could in theory at least be possible but the settings would be so high Carrara would struggle for days running the sim, that said Carrara hair is dodgy at best

not many have mastered it certainly not me

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited July 2018

Thanks Selina, that's impressive but what I would like to have in an animation are a lot of separete thin, wispy, strands of hair moving from left to right, up and down, and so forth as if in a strong gusty wind.

Here is a segment from a 1960s American film titled "The Night Walker" starring Robert Taylor and Babara Stanwyck that shows what I basically want.. //www77.zippyshare.com/v/DZrGIg3c/file.html

How long did it ake you to prepare, and to put together, your animation with 500 hairs to arrange?

I forgot to mention that it would be a nice cinematic touch to have a lot of thin wispy strands of hair whirling and twirling about the face of a smiling woman in slow motion. I have what I feel would be some perfect music for that kind of scene, but it's a secret.

th3Digit,

Hmm, I was hoping my wispy strand idea would not be a Carrara crasher, and take till 2020 to render,but you may be right.

Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited July 2018

I have also been asking questions in the Bryce Forum about the practical feasibility of making a 4 minute animation at 640x480 rendering size, but considering that Daz3D refuses to upgrade Bryce to 64 bit the rendering time for such an animation may be impractical. I had to read the chapters on Bryce animation because that was one of thing I never learned to do with  Bryce, although I am very familiar with the rest of it's features. I have done some tests and it may work.

So, it may be a while before I get to some serious tests with floating hair in Carrara. Your second animation is not bad, and getting closer to what I envision. If I find that rendering times for both my Bryce idea, and my Carrara hair idea, are ridiculously long then I'll abandon these animation project ideas, and stick to still imagery. This whole animation thing is just a gamble, and sometimes we loose.

Anyway, thanks for your help from your years of experience with Carrara.  Bye

Post edited by Retro Lad on