export import

Hello!!! I have suddenly problems when exporting and reimporting meshes from carrara 8.. As I model in rhino, I've used obj as rhe export-import format... and now, if I export a mesh from a scene (heavy one) from  Carrara, then re import the mesh, its scale and location change... very problematic...Of course, when impôrting, I check disable auto sacling, and uncheck auto position, but the re import isn't at the same place, and not the same scale... anybody experimented the same occure,nce?? thank you for help!!!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

I guess the export/import format matters.  I often export using the obj menu presets for Daz Studio (Morph Target) and Daz Studio (Full Scene).  Have not had any problems when importing the results in Daz Studio as long as I use the correct preset for the action that I want.  By action, I mean whether I am creating a new prop/figure from scratch or editing one that is already in Studio format.  I don't have Rhino so can't speak to the proper settings for that transfer.  Have you tried another export obj preset, such a Studio (Full Scene) or Poser?

EDIT - sorry - just tried going back directly to Carrara using the Studio preset.  No good.  You are correct and I am wrong.  Hmmmm.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

Not gonna like this, but...

I have been using Studio as a plugin (for other reasons) and so my scales have been preserved.  So I just did some tests of making a counter for the Poser toon Edgar.  Simply exporting from Carrara and importing back to Carrra using the same obj preset had the strange results that you reported.  But, running through Studio as a savd figure/prop asset preserved correct scaling.  Hmmm.

- Loaded Edgar in Carrara from the Poser browser.

- Modeled a counter in front of him and kept the hot point of the counter at 0 0 0 

- Exported the counter in Daz Studio Full Scene preset

- Opened Studio and loaded Edgar

- Imported my counter using the Carrara scale preset

- Saved the counter from Studio as a figure/prop asset

- Found the counter prop in my Carrara bowser tray and loaded in my scene

- Scale and position are still correct

counter test 2 studio full scene export.JPG
    1313 x 874 - 115K
    counter studio import carrara scale.JPG
    1419 x 972 - 157K
    counter correct if from browser afer studio.JPG
    1910 x 989 - 205K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

For the scale, isn't easier to set 100% in the Motion Tab?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

OBJ is an unscaled format - there is no information concerning how big a mesh is, and every application saves in its own units (Carrara is inches, Modo is metres, Studio is centimetres etc). When you import you need to know where the obj came from and what its scale is.

When I import from Modo, I need to set the scale in the import dialog to 39.37 (conversion from metres to inches). I don't know what Rhino's native units are, but you'll need to find that out and set it in the import dialog.

Similarly, going back to Rhino, an obj saved by Carrara will be in inches. So you need to tell Rhino in its import dialog that the mesh units are inches.