Feedback needed about G2 project

keshkesh Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi all,

I'm dabbling with Genesis 2 figures and several external software to achieve a good "Na'Vi" (the blue people from Pandora, in James Cameron's Avatar movie, for the unlikely ones that wouldn't know em ^^), and this is where i have got so far. It's still a WIP project, mainly needing skin completion and refinement, but the bulk of the project is done.
Not shown here i also made a geografted poseable tail that completes the character and will be part of the package (if i go on and make it public).

The project is ideally composed of:
- one full body morph and one head/face morph for Genesis 2 female (custom made morphs, sculpted, not dialled in) with relative readjusting of the rigging;
- one material preset with additional textures/shaders for the skin effects (base skin is same of gen 2 female and won't be redistributed);
- one geografted, seamlessy skinned and textured poseable tail figure.

From all who is even slightly interested i'm requesting a brief feedback about the following:
1 do you think it would be a selling product?
2 would there be copyright problems with the "avatar" corporation or whatever entity is the AI and copyright owner of the movie? (i doubt so, since there are already several 3d models for the characters, none compliant with daz studio or poser though).
3 anything else you feel like adding or commenting about it.

Thanks for your collaboration!
K.

nvprojectpromo.jpg
640 x 800 - 116K

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I can't comment on first question (although I won't, personally, buy it) but on second - yes. It is all depends on IP owners - some are ok with commercial fanart but most don't and in case if they aren't ok with commercial fanart even if you rename it and sell under some other name the similarities are big enough for it to be pulled, especially because you just openly admitted that you are doing Na'vi from 'Avatar'. Some people worked around by selling only bodymorph with a completely different texture (such as Hazai) or without texture at all but selling such close reproduction of Na'vi might get you in troubles with IP owners as soon as they've notice your commercial product. Free product might get free pass.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If you have to even ask if there would be copyright issues then you already know the answer.

You might find a brokerage willing to take the risk and you might not. Several of the larger brokerages have been burned by past violations of copyright and/or trademark and may not be willing to take that risk.

It is of little value as it cannot legally be used in commercial work.

edited August 2013

icprncss said:
    It is of little value as it cannot legally be used in commercial work.

This is true too. Even if you'd find a place to sell it and somehow it won't get pulled by IP owners, people who'd buy it won't be able to use Na'vi in any sort of commercial product, even as a render or animation without getting into same troubles, so its purpose is basically only non-commercial fanart again.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited December 1969

I would love more alien figures personally and would buy any alien made for genesis, but not ones I Can't use commercially.

There already are the hazai, which is sort of avatar-esque.

http://www.daz3d.com/hazai-bundle

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited August 2013

Hellfish I believe also at Renderosity has a Hazai-esque morph.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Hellfish I believe also at Renderosity has a Hazai-esque morph.

DarioFish, here
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/hfs-shapes-for-genesis/97223

But no textures, they also aren't called Na'vi. Actually it took me a while to even recognize them as such.

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks to all for your replies. :)

I guess i'll just keep it as a private project, good for exercise...

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

If you're interested kesh, I've made na'vi with genesis using DarioFish's morphs

http://drowelfmorwen.deviantart.com/gallery/43789381

I am, however, looking for more accurate ears--any chance you could make the ear morph only for Genesis? o.o

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

You did a nice job though :) Hope you have fun with it.

• kesh said:

Hi all,

I'm dabbling with Genesis 2 figures and several external software to achieve a good "Na'Vi" (the blue people from Pandora, in James Cameron's Avatar movie, for the unlikely ones that wouldn't know em ^^), and this is where i have got so far. It's still a WIP project, mainly needing skin completion and refinement, but the bulk of the project is done.
    Not shown here i also made a geografted poseable tail that completes the character and will be part of the package (if i go on and make it public).

The project is ideally composed of:
    - one full body morph and one head/face morph for Genesis 2 female (custom made morphs, sculpted, not dialled in) with relative readjusting of the rigging;
    - one material preset with additional textures/shaders for the skin effects (base skin is same of gen 2 female and won't be redistributed);
    - one geografted, seamlessy skinned and textured poseable tail figure.

From all who is even slightly interested i'm requesting a brief feedback about the following:
    1 do you think it would be a selling product?
    2 would there be copyright problems with the "avatar" corporation or whatever entity is the AI and copyright owner of the movie? (i doubt so, since there are already several 3d models for the characters, none compliant with daz studio or poser though).
    3 anything else you feel like adding or commenting about it.

Thanks for your collaboration!
    K.

Nice textures I've been struggling to find a way to make them. How did you do it?