Polygon issue in Bryce

reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,140
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have sent a figure from Daz Studio to Bryce. I want it to have smooth polygons. So here are two questions.

1. Is it possible to have it imported with smooth polygons from the start?
or
2. In there a way to get smooth polygons on the figure without having to click yourself to death to make every individual part smooth? (I have tried to group the figure but I still have to click "everywhere" to get smooth polygons.

Are smooth polygons to much for Bryce to handle? Bryce has crashed for me twice (in different ways) when smoothing every part individually.

(I am working on a computer that at least when it was new two years ago, was a good gaming machine.)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Bryce Forum

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

The DS bridge only sends over low poly models - as far as I know - I'm no expert on DS matters but that's what I understand to be the case and also, the mesh that is sent over should already be smoothed. But I've never really taken to DS for reason of its perpetual breaking whenever I touch it. However...

To overcome both issues, export your objects as wavefront obj format, rather than use the bridge and you should get the best mesh resolution and also, obj format comes in pre-smoothed so there will be no running out of memory.

If you have the spare memory in your computer you can use Large Address Aware on Bryce to overcome a lot of annoying memory issues. If you don't know how to do this I have made a short video. Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - large address aware - a short video by David Brinnen

Might help.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

OBJ models should already be smoothed when sent over from the bridge. You can smooth models in Bryce as well. You said Bryce crashes during smoothing, but I've never seen it crash. I have however seen it takes so long that Bryce appears to freeze to the point of being crashed. Models with less than 100,000 polygons can smooth rather quickly. A model that is a million polygons will take way too long to smooth... as in hours. Not sure why Bryce takes so long. This is why it might be good to have another external application to manipulate the OBJ allowing you to smooth it quickly outside of Bryce so that it will then import to Bryce already smoothed.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

A good indication if Bryce works or has frozen is having a look at the CPU usage in the Task Manager. Smoothing uses only one CPU/Thread if I remember correctly.