Write and Save Sticky Notes inside a scene

I think it would be very useful the ability to write and save sticky notes inside a scene.

For example, I would use them to remember what pose preset I used, what light techinque I applied, what material preset and anything else I would forget after a few weeks I created the scene.

Wouldn't that be nice? :-)

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721
    Pen and paper, LOL
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,864

Take a look at V3Digitimes Super Save product. It has the capability to save a freeform text comment file when you save the file (as well as other useful features). It was just on flash sale 60% off earlier this week. Did you buy it by any chance?

• You can in fact add a note to a file inside DS, via the Smart Content pane. You need to be in the Files tab, and to have the lower section of the pane expanded (with the Tips, Info, tags, and Store tabs). In the Tags tab there's a text box for notes - enter what you like and click Apply Changes to enter the notes in the database (you can also add tags, which you can then click on to filter all items with that tag).

edited August 2018

Richard, how do you discover these things? This sounds great, and it is free! So, would you save the scene, then find the saved scene in Files tab and add the notes?

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

Richard, how do you discover these things? This sounds great, and it is free! So, would you save the scene, then find the saved scene in Files tab and add the notes?

In this case I had forgotten until Rob reminded me.

• sparviersparvier Posts: 20

You can in fact add a note to a file inside DS, via the Smart Content pane. You need to be in the Files tab, and to have the lower section of the pane expanded (with the Tips, Info, tags, and Store tabs). In the Tags tab there's a text box for notes - enter what you like and click Apply Changes to enter the notes in the database (you can also add tags, which you can then click on to filter all items with that tag).

Thank you Richard: it's very interesting and I didn't know that... But it's different from what I wrote.

In your case, the note is save in the DB and is associated to an item.

I'd like notes associated to a scene: saved inside a *.duf file!

Actually even one note would be enough...

barbult said:

Take a look at V3Digitimes Super Save product. It has the capability to save a freeform text comment file when you save the file (as well as other useful features). It was just on flash sale 60% off earlier this week. Did you buy it by any chance?

Thank you Barbult: that sounds great! I'd like it was a standard DS feature...

• liber1 said:

You can in fact add a note to a file inside DS, via the Smart Content pane. You need to be in the Files tab, and to have the lower section of the pane expanded (with the Tips, Info, tags, and Store tabs). In the Tags tab there's a text box for notes - enter what you like and click Apply Changes to enter the notes in the database (you can also add tags, which you can then click on to filter all items with that tag).

Thank you Richard: it's very interesting and I didn't know that... But it's different from what I wrote.

In your case, the note is save in the DB and is associated to an item.

I'd like notes associated to a scene: saved inside a *.duf file!

Actually even one note would be enough...

The .duf file itself can have a note, though it would still be available via selecting the file in the content pane rather than in the scene.

edited August 2018

The Super Save product creates a separate text file with the same name as the saved scene file. It doesn't put the text in the scene duf file, either.

edited for spelling.

Post edited by barbult on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

What you could do is add a primitive to your scene purely as a container for notes, setting its "visible in render" property to "no" or just positioning it somewhere miles off screen.

Select the primitive and go to the Surfaces tab, at the top there's a property called "Tags" - a text box and a [...] button. Click the button and it takes you to a dialog where you can type in a long text. You could easily use it as a postit.

What you could do is add a primitive to your scene purely as a container for notes, setting its "visible in render" property to "no" or just positioning it somewhere miles off screen.

Select the primitive and go to the Surfaces tab, at the top there's a property called "Tags" - a text box and a [...] button. Click the button and it takes you to a dialog where you can type in a long text. You could easily use it as a postit.

Thank you Chris for this brilliant tip: it is EXACTLY what I was looking for...

It's free, it's not DB-related and is saved inside the duf file (I checked)... GREAT!

• You can in fact add a note to a file inside DS, via the Smart Content pane. You need to be in the Files tab, and to have the lower section of the pane expanded (with the Tips, Info, tags, and Store tabs). In the Tags tab there's a text box for notes - enter what you like and click Apply Changes to enter the notes in the database (you can also add tags, which you can then click on to filter all items with that tag).

Interesting, I never noticed that feature before! A couple of questions about it: are the notes searchable? Can they be saved in some way, in the event that I need to uninstall a product or set up a new machine? Do they get saved as metadata and/or userdata?

• They are in the database, so wuld - I think - export as UserData.

• They are in the database, so wuld - I think - export as UserData.

Do you know if they would be searchable?