How would one Open/Convert a '.max' file to open in Carrara?

SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

How would I open or convert a ".max" format file to an OBJ or Carrara usable format?

I found some really awesome free car models but they are all ".max" files...:down:

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

SLoTH_XVX said:
    How would I open or convert a ".max" format file to an OBJ or Carrara usable format?

I found some really awesome free car models but they are all ".max" files...:down:

You would have to have something that can open .max files and be able to convert them to something Carrara can open. I use Carrara 7.2 Pro, here's a screen shot of the drop down menu showing what can be imported. I don't know if that has been updated in C8 or not.

The other possibility is to ask if the creator of the model if there are other formats available.

I do have to say, that there are some really nice Poser style cars out there, some maybe conversions from .max models. Try ShareCG to see what you can find. There are also other sites that have freebies, such as Turbo Squid and Foundation 3D which seems focused on LW, but Carrara can open .lwo files. Shader work will need to be done in most of these conversions.

Good luck!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You would have to have something that can open .max files and be able to convert them to something Carrara can open. I use Carrara 7.2 Pro, here's a screen shot of the drop down menu showing what can be imported. I don't know if that has been updated in C8 or not.
    This is the Best Screen shot I've never seen... :gulp:
  • SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    This is the Best Screen shot I've never seen... :gulp:

...did I miss something?.....

edited December 1969

Yeah. You missed the screen shot! It was so secret I never posted it! :lol: Here it is:

Picture_1.png
    173 x 573 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Evil Pro
    I just double checked CPro8.5... and nothing for .max files.

Just to confirm, are .max files from 3ds Max?

What software produces and/or uses a .max file?

edited December 1969

I'm almost positive it's from 3ds Max.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

From what I understand, .max is completely proprietary to 3DSMAX and only usable inside their program, while 3DS was a transferable format. I could of course be wrong.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

You are correct. It is a closed format and can only be read by the program. The good news is You can use the 30 Day trial to export to other formats, but only for that one time 30 day trial.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

So the takeaway, is DL all the free Max stuff you can get your hands on, and then get the 30 day trial!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,042
    edited December 1969

my trial is almost up, only couple of days
    I have converted a few nice cars and other models
    rigged figures too (the rigging works in Carrara)
    any other suggested models only in .max you would like to link me to?
    (free prefered but if nice enough I would buy some too, done all the Turbosquid, ShareCG ones I want)

• edited December 1969

http://www.123dapp.com/create link to some free apps relatively new from autodesk, might be worth a look

• elephantboy90elephantboy90 Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

SLOTH,

I have an educational licence for 3ds Max 2014 and would be happy to convert a model or two for you to a compatible format such as OBJ if you point me at the right files.

EB

edited December 1969

EB

Sent you a PM.