How To - Simple Flow force Tutorial

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited August 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Flash Garcia asked about Flow Force.

Here is a brief four step rundown and simple Car file to explain.

The Car file has several simple meshes duplicated in one spot. Their Motion method is changed to Physics (see step 2 image with red circle)

It had an Infinite plane as the base.

I inserted a flow force into the scene and changed the Forces so they were higher.

I excluded the infinite plane from the physics .

I extended the animation time to seven seconds.

I hit the top left icon to make Carrara calculate the physics.

The balls went around randomly. :)

For fun I chnaged the colour of one ball so I could see what happened and then changed it's density etc (see Step 4)

A car file is attached. For the car file you need to change the suffix from txt to car.

As Andy says 'hope this helps'

cheers :)

also see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1477/directional-force-tutorial

(I havent watch this for many a while but it should be good!)

txt
txt
flowforce - Copy.txt
Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

head wax,

Thanks!  I will experiment with this tonight and hopefully finish a brief animation test.

edited August 2018

Got them working, both Flow Force and Directional Force. Cubes whirling off into the wild blue yonder. The next task is to get the parameter numbers/values just right so that a scene can be made of whirling leaves, maybe a horde of leaping frogs, whirling bugs, a dust devil, etc.

In my Hair Strand post I asked how to make a close-up of lots of long hair strands whipping about in a strong wind and Selina advised using the Flow Force option. I managed to get the flow force working a few times then. It's time to try it again, now that I seem to know the proper steps. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Got them working, both Flow Force and Directional Force. Cubes whirling off into the wild blue yonder. The next task is to get the parameter numbers/values just right so that a scene can be made of whirling leaves, maybe a horde of leaping frogs, whirling bugs, a dust devil, etc.

In my Hair Strand post I asked how to make a close-up of lots of long hair strands whipping about in a strong wind and Selina advised using the Flow Force option. I managed to get the flow force working a few times then. It's time to try it again, now that I seem to know the proper steps. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Great news! You could try placing all your whirling objects in an invisable cage - eg sphere to keep t hem contained

I just had a play with hair strands - no joy - you could do it with the dynamic part of the hair room I guess - a better way would be VWD hair and cloth sim - you need to google tht as we cant link to it sorry

edited August 2018

head wax,

For my flying about long hair strands idea would the "Anything Grows" plugin be of any use, in junction with flow force? I still haven't had the time to try that plugin, so I may be way off here.

I didn't know that "VWD hair and cloth simulation" even existed out there. So thanks for that, I downloaded a bunch of free videos explaning how it works and it appears to be very useful.

How good would flow force work on a flock of "bats" for a Halloween image? 

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

"Pyswarm" should work very nicely for a flock of bats, I've do that with a flock of butterflies and it works great!

DUDU said:

"Pyswarm" should work very nicely for a flock of bats, I've do that with a flock of butterflies and it works great!

Now that's a great idea for an How To Dudu :) hint hint!

head wax,

For my flying about long hair strands idea would the "Anything Grows" plugin be of any use, in junction with flow force? I still haven't had the time to try that plugin, so I may be way off here.

I didn't know that "VWD hair and cloth simulation" even existed out there. So thanks for that, I downloaded a bunch of free videos explaning how it works and it appears to be very useful.

Hi, the trouble I had was that you can't effect hair with a flow force without effecting the base that it grows from -  ie the base blows away with the hair! I think this happened with the anything grows as well.

V W D is very good - if you buy it then let us know as there are a few 'rules' that arent obvious at first and if broken will lead to frustration.

You also need to make sure your hair vertex count is not too high with v w d as it will abort.

We had a very good thread here on the subject but it vanished ..............

You could also rig the hair and use Carrara Enhanced Remote Control  maybe - ERC is a plugin by fenric - there are tutorials here http://www.sharecg.com/fabaone

edited August 2018

I downloaded the latest free version of Pyswarm for Carrara from Source Forge, I have never used it before.

At the present time, and probably for a long time, I can't afford 90 dollars for both Carrara Enhanced Remote Control  and VMD. The "flying hair" thing is just one of a bunch of ideas I have. It can wait.

I made an "invisible sphere barrier" and I was surprised that my floating cubes would hit it and bounce away as if it were an SF force field. That's great, but how does it do that.. something to do with collision detection? How about an animated human character walking and suddenly bumping into a Force Field Barrier.

edited August 2018

Hi Flash 

Yes it's a bit of cash- if I were you I would animate the hair using morph targets (that's me as it's the easiest and I am lazy :) ) Experiment with different tweeners to drive the morphs

Ie set time zero set morph target to 1 - time 4 set it at 0 - then add a twenere f your choosin in the animation timeline 

I think as far as the animated character - well his animation will be keyframed - so you would need to set up his animation and then change his motion to 'physics'

I'm not sure if forces react with figures ? (am at work now) Best to  research ragdoll physics - where you add tracking objects to ik (?)

Oh I found this

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl0kk8

I think they followed this tut by the indomitable cripeman 

edited August 2018

Maybe on Halloween we can have a seance and try to contact Cripeman from the great digital beyond.

ed wood film.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there was a soft cloth attachment tutorial with flow force.

cant find the darn thing

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thank you for the "how to" flowforce.  Great idea for a thread.

Thanks Diomede, the idea is modelled on your tutorials! 

Mistara, yes  I didn't remember that flag had flow force? 

Well directional force just as good ;) 

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

head wax,

I did some experimenting with force on hair some time ago - [ trying to produce a plasma effect ] 

https://vimeo.com/285574577

If your aim is to animate hair I found that Carrara Hair was difficult to get realistic results. IMHO the VWD plug in is the painless way to go but there is still a learing process but I think its well woth it for the things you can do as an animator. Even just for posing cloth for a still image it does a great job. There is some discussion at CarraraTors  on hair you may find interesting.  http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?board=84.0

And thanks to Headwax for this Flow tutorial 

edited August 2018

Hey that Plasma hair looks wonderful - very irdescent.

And my pleasure to do the short tut :)

No automatic alt text available.

edited August 2018

0oseven ,

The moving hair in the CarraraTors Forum videos is close to what I wanted to get with the Force Flow.  Thanks for the address.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Nice work !!!!!

Bunyip02 said:

Nice work !!!!!

thanks !