Two part carrara eye texture question

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Ok I'm working on getting some decent looking eyes in Carrara 8 Pro. One character has normal eyes. What is the best method to get those eyes realistically shaded? I have tons of Poser textures but I can't get anything to work right. Nothing in my runtime folder shows up in cararra's browser... prolly some spastic noob thing I'm doing.

The other issue is glowing inhuman eyes. Glowing sapphire with floating gold specks. I can almost get the sapphire part right but when I add glow it washes everything out if I make it bright enough to see. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

To get your runtimes to show in Carrara's browser, make sure the Content tab is selected in the browser window. Next, there is a little black icon on the far upper right side of the Browser window. Click it, and you should get a menu with the option of scanning for runtimes. There's also an option to manually select them.

Hope that helps with the runtime issue.

The next thing I guess is the eyes. Before they switched forum software, there was a whole thread on just getting eyes. Would it be possible to see your shader settings?

The other issue with shaders is that there are differences in how Poser's shader system works and Carrara's system works. Carrara translates the shaders as best it can, but due to different ways of doing things, sometimes it doesn't know what to do with certain texture maps. A good example is specular maps and reflection maps in my experience.

If you need a specular map, the best place to load it is in the Highlight channel of the shader, and use a 1-100 numeric slider in the Shininess channel. Adjust the shininess to suit your tastes. A higher value will mean a harder edge to the highlight and a lower setting will mean a softer more diffuse edge to the highlight. Highlight and Shininess work together.

I'd post screen shots, but I'm in the middle of a render. If anything I said is unclear, I can try and get some stuff to together to help you out tomorrow after work.