New verions of poser support constraints?

reko34reko34 Posts: 94
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I watched RWBY recently and was surprised to learn that it's done with poser 2014. The transformation of cresent rose (heroine's weapon) seems very complicated. According to the analysis of some fans it's a linkage (and slider) system. It's easy to realize in engineering software like CATIA. But the newest poser version I've touched is 8 and I saw nothing like adding constraints in the movement simulation. Morph is simple interpolation according to my understanding and is also not possible to support such movement. Does the newest version have revolutionary improvement?

Comments

• reko34reko34 Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

The attached pic is a mechanism I saw.

e23bbc88d43f879467094ed1d31b0ef419d53add.gif
    580 x 429 - 317K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,260
    edited August 2013

That looks like the sort of thing that can be done with ERC linking rotation on various body parts to a single control property, with different constants subtracted (or added) to keep the value 0 until needed (Figure>Use Limits does need to be on, or the uselimits values in the CR2 set to 4 to override the setting). Valandar did something similar with a transforming robot, as I recall, and there have been other, usually more limited, examples over the years. Edit to add: the spear head at the front probably is a morph, but the principle is the same.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Yes, there are constraints in the latest versions of Poser
    See http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/advanced/constraint201.html for a tutorial

edited December 1969

That looks like the sort of thing that can be done with ERC linking rotation on various body parts to a single control property, with different constants subtracted (or added) to keep the value 0 until needed (Figure>Use Limits does need to be on, or the uselimits values in the CR2 set to 4 to override the setting). Valandar did something similar with a transforming robot, as I recall, and there have been other, usually more limited, examples over the years. Edit to add: the spear head at the front probably is a morph, but the principle is the same.

Do you mean it's realized by writing lots of things in a cr2?
    Now I remember using a monster model with grasp and spread morph on hand, which is linked to the fingers and lead them bend together. It's made a long time ago (maybe poser 4) so the cr2 file is simple. But there's nothing practical under this morph, no deformation data, no linking information, no external morph files. So I have no idea how to make it work.

edited December 1969

Poser does now have the dependent parameters feature, I'm not sure if that would do the job or not. (I'd use the Property Editor in DS.)

edited December 1969

Poser does now have the dependent parameters feature, I'm not sure if that would do the job or not. (I'd use the Property Editor in DS.)

I'm still trying to do it with lower poser versions.
    I found that 'spread' and 'grasp' on the hand actors exist already in the third generation(I didn't find them in generation 4). I see no links between these variables and each finger bending. But they change together. What did I miss?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,790
    edited December 1969

reko34 said:

Do you mean it's realized by writing lots of things in a cr2?
    Now I remember using a monster model with grasp and spread morph on hand, which is linked to the fingers and lead them bend together. It's made a long time ago (maybe poser 4) so the cr2 file is simple. But there's nothing practical under this morph, no deformation data, no linking information, no external morph files. So I have no idea how to make it work.

HandGrasp is a function that is built into Poser, to that's not really applicable to this case..
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure that those are in Poser, with correctly named figure bones, and not in the figures so they aren't good examples. If you wantt o learn about ERC thiss ite has references and examples http://www.atlantis23.com/arc_download.html

edited December 1969

Thanks both! I'll take some time into the tutorial.

By the way, any idea why this built-in function is removed from the 4th generation? It may not be accurate, but somehow useful to adjust the hand pose more quickly. It also take time to find the right pose even you've got plenty in your library.

edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure that those are in Poser, with correctly named figure bones, and not in the figures so they aren't good examples. If you wantt o learn about ERC thiss ite has references and examples http://www.atlantis23.com/arc_download.html

This tutorial is very helpful. Before I finished the 1st chapter I was already able to simulate the movement of a whip with an ERC channel.
    I still have a question with the figure name of the master channel. The name is always "Figure 1". The author explains that it's because poser 4 doesn't track the figure name and give the name randomly. But even I save a CR2 with V4 with poser 6, all figure names in the valueOp are still "Figure 1" instead of "Victoria4".
    Is the figure name row meaningless and I can input any name except "_NO_FIG_"?

valueOpPlus
    Figure 1
    mastersBodyPartName
    masterChannelName

edited December 1969

I'm not sure - but it will be using the internal name, not the label that appears in the list above the viewport.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

After watching the RWBY tech pannel at RTX (youtube - not actually there), I think these sorts of animations were made in Maya and imported into Poser.