Heads Up 8.5 news at Carrara Cafe

waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

http://carraracafe.com/breath-taking-news-carrara-8-5-to-be-released-this-month/

;)

Visit Carrara Café and give Holly a cheer for the all the hard work she and the team have done on the Café :).

Post edited by waxfin_c9ea3eab69 on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

See the box art? I just knew we should have had a Carrara box art challenge! ;-)

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

50% is substantially more than I was expecting, unfortunately. That's more in line with what used to be a normal upgrade price, isn't it, and only for two weeks this time? Or is that just badly worded?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2013

•Improved Fit to Functionality • Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx and Parametric Figures • No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a figure onto items conformed to the figure.

I have noticed this, big time. On my V4 figure - when I add clothing from the browser, it does a better job of matching the morphs, especially on cloths that don't support morphs I'm using on the character. I'm pretty certain that it even improves clothes already saved on my characters.

All in all, I've been spoiled in 8.5 beta, and can't wait to buy and use this new update. There are certainly a lot more refinements made to the Carrara 8 Pro platform that isn't included in the list, even though I love that list. I plan to dive full steam into Genesis plus, but am very pleased to see the fitting improvements across the board, too. I doubt that I'll ever quit using 4th generation. But Genesis is really being efficient for running multiple people per scene in addition to its obvious advantages. Of course, when I say Genesis, I'm talking about Genesis 2 as well - I'm really looking forward to seeing Gen 2 Male!!!

Well R O C K O N DAZ3D ! ! !
    Bring it on!!!!!

carrara8-5.png
    1388 x 409 - 29K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

...Oh, and I really love the Parameters tab and it's killer 'sort by morph area' filter at the top!
    For Genesis 2, you just select 'Genesis 2' in the instances tray, and you have full access to body bending, emotions, speech, the works... I Love It!!! All of the morphs that are not the ones you use to create the figure, but the ones you use to pose it. It's awesome.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Is the morph projection supposed work with 4th gen stuff in the beta build we have?

The upgrade better be cheap, Genesis alone is not worth much to me especially with all the missing functionality.

edited December 1969

headwax said:
    ...give Holly a cheer for the all the hard work she and the team have done on the Café :).
    Done. But not enough and not soon enough. She truly has done an amazing job.
    ! I hope she's okay
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Is the morph projection supposed work with 4th gen stuff in the beta build we have?

I don't know if it's the same method used for Triax, but 4th Gen clothing definitely fit my characters better now. At least since build 204, but I believe one or two builds prior, too (?)
    I did perform a fresh rebuild of my 'Rosie' character onto a new V4 base - as she was made in 2010 and I know that there were V4 upgrades since. Using NLA Master Pose to store morphs did a beautiful job of transferring the character over. I just had to be sure to INJ all the right morphs. But once I 'Load Clip Data" from the older character to the new figure, the information is stored - so if I neglected to inject a morph or more, I could see that something was wrong. Look through the morphs and injecting the ones I missed immediately corrects the morphs according to the loaded data. Pretty sweet.

But I had a bit of a thing - clothing not coming with morphs I had in place. Not that huge - I made correction morphs in Carrara for a fix. Well I don't exactly remember when - but recently clothes just work better. All Stephanie morphs, etc., even on stuff made prior to her release. I love it.

Now I'm really enjoying the simplicity of content creation between 8.5 Pro and DS 4.6 Pro. Gen 2 Fem is one cooperative figure! And DS's tools with Carrara's modeling power - being able to sculpt right over the unposed base figure in the assembly room is amazingly cool! The just export and bring it into DS Pro's CCT's... and "!!!!"
    Following DAZ3D's generous and simple workflow guides has shown me how simple the process is at the base level. Making truly excellent clothing is still another beast altogether. But it's so cool to create a model of my own, follow the process, and see it fit Gen 2 Fem and follow anything I do with her. Just fun! Practice makes.... well... I'm gonna practice!!! :)

edited December 1969

I was incredibly impressed when I started to get used to how 4th generation morph following worked. Well DAZ automation for mesh following is incredibly powerful for anyone wanting to use character figures that need to have the ability to be dressed in different clothes and hairstyles. I'm really glad that They've made what they made - and that they added it to Carrara. Many of us put a check in that compatibility box when the devs polled us. I'm glad I wasn't alone on that vote.
    Genesis compatibility may have been the prime goal - and they've pulled it off. But in doing so - everything else just got better. I've seen how we can use Triax to create new things. Any new thing - and we can do it ourselves since we have the same tools. Don't have Z-Brush? Me neither. But I'm thinking that I might want to strive toward that one day. In the meantime, it's amazing how detailed we can get with SubD modeling in Carrara - and the apply the SubD to the mesh once in Daz Studio Pro, and it works. Then you add the Triax technology and guess what? You've just added the power of DA3D 2013, which is incredible. It really is.

Looking a bit deeper, and you'll see that Blondie9999, Bobby25 have some real expert training on how to get really good - if you want. I'm really considering diving in full bore. And adding true Carrara compatibility to everything I make - since that's where I would end up using it anyways.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

50% off plus I guess we'll get a PC discount too, which will knock the price to about 75% if my math is correct.

Looks like the price I got told back at Comic Con in January of 2012 is not going to be the price of the upgrade. (I got told not to mention exactly what the price info I got at Comic Con on the forums and haven't.. So don't ask.)

Will we have another Gen 6 Pro Bundle released too this month too as that is going to eat up cash I was going to use for the PA Sale if that is going to be in September.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited August 2013

That would be 65 % off, but from what? I can't find the C8Pro upgrade price anywhere.

Assuming the announcement doesn't mean something else, it might be... around $90. Not happening at that price, and I'm not even a PC member.

Post edited by araneldon on
  • Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D has not stated any price yet, but as I understand it will be 50% cheaper from its original price for the two weeks after it is released.

Genesis is not the only new feature in 8.5, there are some refinements to animation tools, interface improvements and other stability and speed improvements, but as we know, DAZ 3D always gave their figures more attention when advertising, but genesis is not the only new thing in C8.5 :)