A very retro briefcase/laptop/portable-phone thingy from "2001" (1968)

I was poking around looking in DDG at scenes from Stanley Kubrick's landmark classic 2001: A Space Odyssey, largely because I wanted to examine how they'd handled that underlit floor in the closing scenes of the movie... and came across a picture of a prop that was made for the film but that I'd never noticed before.  It totally gobsmackered me.  It was of a sort of briefcase containing an integrated computer, thin TV-like monitor, and a phone.  It was a forerunner of the laptop, actually, but boy did it ever look.... delightfully wacky compared with today's image of a laptop and/or portable phone.  The picture is here, the article it is from is here.

Anyway, it makes me wonder:  Just what sorts of retro-future stuff is there out there in THAT vein for Daz Studio and/or Poser?  I particularly love the way the display is designed.  Oddly, that monitor is also reminiscent of the way the display in some devices on the original Star Trek were handled, i.e. the tiny monitor in the tricorders.  We need more stuff like THAT. :D

Comments