Sky light is lightening colors too much

TurnerTurner Posts: 116
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

When I'm rendering an object that has what is essentially a medium-dark brown finish, if I have sky light enabled (and sky/ground color both white), the object is getting much too light.

Is there any way to keep the colors more true with sky light?

thanks
Andrew

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

If there is too much light, it needs to be reduced.

How high is your ambient light? What lights do you have in the scene? Sun, others? Are you using gamma correction?

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

Hi araneldon,

Ambient off, sky brightness reduced (50%), spotlight brightness reduced (40%), gamma 1.0.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

i suggest not to fool with the gamma, leave it where it was

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    i suggest not to fool with the gamma, leave it where it was

Ok, will do.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I suggest you try it WITH gamma - try setting it to 2.2 and see what you think!

With gamma set to 1 (which it is by default), colours can get burnt out and garish if you are not too careful. Gamma at 2.2 applies a correction so that it renders more true to life, it is much more than just a post-effect. There has been a whole thread about it if you are interested:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25644/

If it is still too bright, then turn down the lights some more, but I think that gamma will help a lot.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Also, the sky light enabled in the render room relies an awful lot on the surrounding elements of the scene requiring one of the following:
    Either a Background scene
    or a background image
    or a background color or gradient
    either of which need to surround the scene.

I really love Cripeman's Global Illumination Intro video tutorial! Using his method, you can use a bi-gradient to control the colors of the illumination. And if you don't want those value to show in the render, you can block it with a Backdrop image, color, or a different bi-gradient.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think you're all missing the real clue in the OPs post. He said that the "sky" is white, and so is the "ground."

I suspect he used the color gradient in the scene's background, then changed the colors from the default blues for the sky, and the default browns for the ground, that could be his problem with the brightness.

My suggestion to the OP is to set the Background color back to it's default, then in the scene's Backdrop place a white color if that's what you need for the render.

You can use other functions for a more realistic looking light with the Skylight function, such as an HDRI in the Background, or a Realistic Sky in the Atmosphere.

Picture_1.png
    254 x 532 - 25K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

You are so right, ep. I totally missed that. Yup. White means bright light! ;)