seamless group

timrishertimrisher Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am trying to connect to flat pieces to create an irregularly shaped piece of glass (to be exported to another place eventually, so it needs to be transparent. When I do it, though, it leaves the seam between the two pieces that I can see. How can I group the two pieces and remove the seam so they become one large irregular transparent piece of glass? Thanks!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,042
    edited August 2013

are you working with primitives in assembly room or polygons in vertex room?
    I do not know your level of skill so hope this is not too patronizing or over complicated as case may be

It needs to be a vertex object for a start.
    to create one object it needs to be welded and any duplicate points removed.
    The easiest way I can thing of to do this is create a new object by tracing around the original using polylines.
    you drop a vertex object in the scene from the icon up the top or go to edit create vertex object then return to the assembly room by clicking hand icon.
    then click the spanner icon on top left to model vertices in assembly room so you see your original object.
    with your object flat on ground from top view trace around it with polylines then click enter to finish, under model weld and fill polygon.
    choose triagulate ngons from model menu.

now two choices

easy select all. choose model add thickness and move to required thickness
    result will be slightly beveled

or for exact shape
    select all
    go to edit, duplicate
    move the duplicate up to thickness required..
    then select all edit copy
    then click the bridge icon
    your model will vanish and a joining edge appears, do not panic
    click on arrow and anywhere in scene to unselect then click edit paste
    then edit select all and weld under model

then click on uv editor top right and operations and try a few uv options
    planar z split by orientation good one for atop view object
    you want option that shows most flat surfaces for a nice texture mapping or mirror shader.
    go back t assembly mode by clicking hand, delete your original and export your new model.

I hope I have not made this too confusing
    ask questions one step at a time and I and others can help.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on