Saros 7 Holodeck and Projection

jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I bought this product a couple of days ago and am starting to download it now. In my Product Library, I have three large files - one for each platform (DS, Poser, Carrara) and 27 smaller files. For each of the large files, I have the choice to download the file for manual installation or to download and install with DS Install Manager. For the other 27 files, only the download for manual installation is available. I always like to have a manual backup even if I install using the DS Install Manager. Are the 27 smaller files necessary if I download the three large files? I ask because the cumulative size of the smaller files for each platform is far larger than the counterpart larger file for the respective platform. I don’t want to download the 27 smaller files if the 3 larger will suffice.

Thanks.

Joe J.

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Are the 27 smaller files necessary if I download the three large files? I ask because the cumulative size of the smaller files for each platform is far larger than the counterpart larger file for the respective platform.

The three large files are the 27 smaller files — quite a few older items in your Product Library page still show the old installer executable files as well as the new DIM-compatible .zip files. The reason for the size difference is because each of those installers includes the executable code to perform the actual extraction and installation of the compressed content files. The DIM files only contain the content files. It isn't actually all that much for each file, about 5MB for a Windows installer and 15MB for a Mac installer, but with 27 files each with that duplicated overhead, it all adds up.

In short, if you use the DIM or you're comfortable with doing it manually, you only need the new combined files. The old installers (look at the file names, they should all end with .exe for Windows or .zip for Mac, and they will not have a green DIM button) can safely be ignored.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

Spotted Kitty,

Hello. Thanks for explaining why the smaller files add up to so much. I thought that it was something like that. I’ve manually installed hundreds of DAZ files since I first started tinkering with CG, but I’ve been using the new DIM lately. I’d already downloaded the three larger platform files for backup safety.

Again, thanks.

Joe J.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

That should be all you'll need, then.

Note that those file size additions are just for the last couple of installer versions, anything that's been in the store more than about two years will have different installation code which was a lot smaller. Not that this is likely to be a problem for much longer, since the old installers should all be going away in favour of the new DIM-compatible zips.