Newbie Morph Target questions

Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Ok , I've been using Carrara 8.1 for the past year and have never had to deal with morph targets.
I am trying to make a piece of pipe that is 1 foot long, extends to 3 feet. ( at one second)
Then the pipe bends right, then extends 10 feet, ( at 2 seconds)
then bends vertical, then extends 10 feet. ( at three seconds)
So my questions are:
1) When adjusting a target does the object always have to be at the starting point?
( You can see in this scenario it is a PITA because I have to recreate the full path for each target)

2)Can I use deformations when I am creating a morph target?

3) I can't seem to find the direct manipulator control with the bend deformations.

Thank You

Comments

• edited December 1969

While I consider myself pretty good at MORPH TARGETS, but more for organic stuff, but i think you should explore another way to get what you what.

One way would be to make the finished "PIPE" with its bends and lengths.

Then use an ANIMATION or MOVIE black and white as the ALPHA channel of the shader.

WHile I good in the shaders area I would bet someone a lot knowledgable with complex shaders could get you where you want with out an ANIMATED alpha.

BUT making the geometry to do what you want I think is the wrong approach and the long way around the barn

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2013

removed as not helpful

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

While I consider myself pretty good at MORPH TARGETS, but more for organic stuff, but i think you should explore another way to get what you what.

One way would be to make the finished "PIPE" with its bends and lengths.

Then use an ANIMATION or MOVIE black and white as the ALPHA channel of the shader.

WHile I good in the shaders area I would bet someone a lot knowledgable with complex shaders could get you where you want with out an ANIMATED alpha.

BUT making the geometry to do what you want I think is the wrong approach and the long way around the barn

I started animating a spline, no go to many planes, tried the shader route, the movie idea was suggested, tried the morph target in the vertex room. Yup I believe you are correct, back to the Shader room and load a PNG sequence into the texture map.
    Thanks
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Is this maybe something like you're looking for? Used five models. morphed for movement, hiding and unhiding as the morph reached its max position - dead easy:)

http://youtu.be/JreebruXl90

And something especially for Wendy - you are so naughty!!!

bonedpipe.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Interesting I'll give it a shot.
    Thanks