DAZ Studio user who has just jumped ship for Carrara 8 Pro...

Artman009Artman009 Posts: 33
edited December 1969 in The Commons

After years of begging for more advanced features to be added to DAZ Studio (animating textures/materials, render layers, network rendering, dynamic clothing, advanced animation tools, etc.), I finally decided to drop my hard-earned money on purchasing Studio's big brother(sister?) Carrara 8 Pro.

I purchased Carrara 8 Pro, Mimic Pro for Carrara, and aniMate aniBlock Importer for Carrara, so if any DAZ Studio users considering a similar step-up and have any questions about any of the software I bought, let me know and I'll try and answer them as best as I can.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 1969

Thread moved to the Carrara forum

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,232
    edited December 1969

Yeah! Welcome aboard Artman009!!!

• Artman009Artman009 Posts: 33
    edited August 2013

Yeah! Welcome aboard Artman009!!!

Hey, thanks for welcoming me!

So far, the biggest first impression to me is the GUI Interface: man, is it night and day different from DAZ Studio! I know I'm probably (heavily) biased from being a long-time Studio user but what is up with the Bryce-style interface? Seriously, this interface was OK in 1997 when I first toyed around with Bryce but after 16 years, I don't think an entire GUI overhaul is uncalled for, is it?

Post edited by Artman009 on
    edited December 1969

Also, why is the GUI is so darn tiny? I have a dual monitor setup with both screens at 1920x1080 resolution raised on top of my desk--similar to this--and I can barely make out the interface buttons. I dug around the program Preferences but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited August 2013

Artman009 said:
    ... Seriously, this interface was OK in 1997 when I first toyed around with Bryce but after 16 years, I don't think an entire GUI overhaul is uncalled for, is it?

I started with RayDream5.5 (the pro-genitor of Carrara). Moved up to Carrara2.0 when Eovia took over. The change from RayDream to Carrara saw some significant interface changes. I've kept up with Carrara over the years and I too now have Carrara8-Pro but the interface hasn't changed significantly through all those versions. Yeah, you're right, it is pretty much of a late '90s design. But many people have gotten used to it. Don't hold your breath waiting for a significant improvement. I'm just glad they added some newer features and fixed a few of the very long standing bugs. Carrara is now older than some of the people in this forum and despite its shortcomings, changing the interface would be major culture shock.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Does it have a complete, up-to-date manual yet?

edited December 1969

Uh, no.

As with most DAZ3D products, proper documentation is either completely lacking, out-of-date or buried somewhere within the forums. There really should be some simple "here's how to navigate the program" or "quick lessons" videos on DAZ3D's YouTube channel because even for a DAZ Studio user like myself, I'm pretty lost most of the time (the two programs are completely night and day different in design and look).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Plenty of help on the Carrara forum though, including this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869
    edited December 1969

I learnt everything I know by asking questions on the Carrara forum.
    One does need to ask though to get answers, just complaining the interface etc is too hard for you is not terribly helpful, it will just get other whingers responding.
    The people who actually use the program need something to go on to help like, " how do I . .?" etc
    you will find an extremely helpful set of people on our forum if you do ask software related questions.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Artman009 said:

Uh, no.

As with most DAZ3D products, proper documentation is either completely lacking, out-of-date or buried somewhere within the forums. There really should be some simple "here's how to navigate the program" or "quick lessons" videos on DAZ3D's YouTube channel because even for a DAZ Studio user like myself, I'm pretty lost most of the time (the two programs are completely night and day different in design and look).

Carrara 8.1 doesn't have an official manual, but there is still the Carrara 7 manual. I'm in no way saying it is adequate, but it is still a great resource. It covers 90% of the features for Carrara 8.1. It is what I used to learn Carrara 8. I can also say that all the new features in C8.5 have been documented (I documented them myself).

So yes there is a glaring hole when it comes to C8.1 features, but there is still a manual that can at least help you get started. Here is a link: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/carrara7_user_guide.pdf

I really do hope you enjoy Carrara. It is an awesome 3D app with tons of capabilities for the price.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,738
    edited December 1969

Expensive, but very good IMO:

http://www.daz3d.com/infinite-skills-inc-