Anyone solved the 'end of file error' yet?

Hya I have a file with x number of m4 k4 m3 and V4 which is around 4 gig/

I have a back up of it (saved at a different stage) and have opened and shut the latest file  once or twice.

Suddenly both files are giving me an 'end of file error'

This has happned to me before when I hav been running out of disc space. 

It only happned last night so I have yet to sit down and try the methods discussed in these threads.

But before I do, I thought i'd ask  if someone has come up with a definitive fix.?

Using Win 64/ I have texture spooling off. I never close Carrara and then say 'yes' when it wants to save before I close.

I don't compress my car files when saving. 

Thanks in advance :)

Other threads trying to solve the problem 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/484216/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/198506/genesis-bloat-and-end-of-file-error

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4239/end-of-line-errors-files-won-t-open-anyone-know-the-cause

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Have not found anything definate, seem to be free of them for a while then I get a heap of them in a row. Touch wood that they stay away.

Was bringing in some freebies from other sites, average about 1 in 20 that refuse to open often I have saved them as a car file.

A big problem with my files is that my Genesis 1/2/3/8 files are bloated with morphs I have collected/done.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks Bunyip - I just tried the zip and then extract with 7 zip - no joy - I also tried my back up files - no joy - must be because i t is over 4gig...?

a play with text editor is next :(

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Andrew.. are your project files on your hard drive?   I did get this even on my new machine and now I keep large project files on my external hard drive. However, I do not go over 2GB. I do save elements from the scenes in my browser on the hard drive so they are handy, though.

I also regularly clean my CPU. First with a blower, then with a vacuum. It brings my temps down and things then move a bit smoother when I keep it clean. Fortunately my ASUS has a clear plastic side so I can keep an eye on it.

What kind of cooling system do you have?  I have the Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler 

Sorry in a rush... lots going on, but how frustrating. I love your art!!

heart  Silene

Ah thanks for that advice - I hadn't thought about that!

I have some little wind fan software thing on my screen so I can zap up the fan... I have no idea what cooler it is though

and yes, I am a typical bloke - so never clean my computer ....

ah I will keep an eye on the cpu temp for big files now and see what happens - because I notice the fan really revs when I am rendering and perhaps saving (not sure about the saving)

thanks for your kindness about my art too ;)

head wax said:

Ah thanks for that advice - I hadn't thought about that!

I have some little wind fan software thing on my screen so I can zap up the fan... I have no idea what cooler it is though

and yes, I am a typical bloke - so never clean my computer ....

ah I will keep an eye on the cpu temp for big files now and see what happens - because I notice the fan really revs when I am rendering and perhaps saving (not sure about the saving)

thanks for your kindness about my art too ;)

Your art is amazing... not being kind...being truthful!  smiley You and Vyusur are my two very favourites on here.  yes

If you hear your fan... or fanS.... not just the  CPU. My graphics card Quadro 2200 has a fan, too. So a good clean might help. This was a very dry summer here in the UK and I have not seen it so dusty. In fact, I have taken it out of is floor level cubbyhole in the desk and put it up top. It gets more air that way as well and I can keep an eye on the dust situation.  If you see dust around the front vents, you will be gobsmacked at how much is inside.

Some kind Carrarian told me to do a good cleaning... apologies that I cannot recall who it was, but bless 'em as I have had little trouble since and barely notice the fans revving now unless it's a thirsty render.  

heart  Silene

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411
    head wax said:

Hya I have a file with x number of m4 k4 m3 and V4 which is around 4 gig/

I have a back up of it (saved at a different stage) and have opened and shut the latest file  once or twice.

Suddenly both files are giving me an 'end of file error'

This has happned to me before when I hav been running out of disc space. 

It only happned last night so I have yet to sit down and try the methods discussed in these threads.

But before I do, I thought i'd ask  if someone has come up with a definitive fix.?

Using Win 64/ I have texture spooling off. I never close Carrara and then say 'yes' when it wants to save before I close.

I don't compress my car files when saving. 

Thanks in advance :)

Other threads trying to solve the problem 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/484216/

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/198506/genesis-bloat-and-end-of-file-error

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4239/end-of-line-errors-files-won-t-open-anyone-know-the-cause

From personal experience (sad experience sad), the upper limit of the .car files is 4 GB. If you see your file is 4,194,334 KB, for sure is broken. Some information was lost and the file is truncated, unrecoverable.

Bunyip02 said:

Have not found anything definate, seem to be free of them for a while then I get a heap of them in a row. Touch wood that they stay away.

Was bringing in some freebies from other sites, average about 1 in 20 that refuse to open often I have saved them as a car file.

A big problem with my files is that my Genesis 1/2/3/8 files are bloated with morphs I have collected/done.

I have the same problem. For months now, I've been working in a plugin that erases the unnecessary extra morphs from the figures in a scene. I didn't finished yet (the SDK documentation is very poor in figure questions, so I've had to do pretty much trial and error testing), although it now works in a very crude form.

thank you @SileneUK  and @Alberto

Bunyip02 said:

@Alberto said:

I have the same problem. For months now, I've been working in a plugin that erases the unnecessary extra morphs from the figures in a scene. I didn't finished yet (the SDK documentation is very poor in figure questions, so I've had to do pretty much trial and error testing), although it now works in a very crude form.

wow, that's wonderful news that there might be a solve

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    head wax said:

thank you @SileneUK  and @Alberto

Bunyip02 said:

@Alberto said:

wow, that's wonderful news that there might be a solve

+1!!

wou;d be awesome for a figure like genesis1

Alberto said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Sounds great, hope you get it working good !!!!

• yes +2

• +3

Such a plugin would drastically change what I can do in Carrara, much as did Philemo's GMIC plugin.

Alberto, if you eventually solve the Genesis bloat problem with a plugin, I hope that you consider selling it in your new store (rather than give it away). 

I'd like you to be around for many more years to come. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

ditto that

+4

Oh, I didn't know you were as concerned as me about this issue!surprise

I'm tired of having too many .car files more than 2 or 3 GB. I don't like compressed files because they sometimes take almost an hour to save, and many posts said here, they're frequently got corrupted.

• I may be in the minority, but I always compress my files.  No problems so far.  I don't remember any file taking longer that 5 minutes to save, but maybe my files are very small in comparison.  The largest files are not more than 250 MB, and that is enough to max out my RAM.  And the larger files always are the result of having a Genesis figure, so I tend to stay away from Genesis.

Still, even when I get more RAM, I would love to see that Genesis bloat reduced!

Alberto said:

Oh, I didn't know you were as concerned as me about this issue!surprise

I'm tired of having too many .car files more than 2 or 3 GB. I don't like compressed files because they sometimes take almost an hour to save, and many posts said here, they're frequently got corrupted.

I abandoned G2 because of file bloat... and as Misty's G3 was so much lighter on file size, it's my new character base now.  But I have all this G2 stuff and would LOVE to be able to use it sometimes.  Plugin please... worth whatever price you feel is right!

yes Silene

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited September 2018
    SileneUK said:

I also regularly clean my CPU. First with a blower, then with a vacuum. It brings my temps down and things then move a bit smoother when I keep it clean. Fortunately my ASUS has a clear plastic side so I can keep an eye on it.

heart  Silene

Have one of these _Super good_ Very strong amount of air
     use caution where pointing it _sounds like a house Vacuum

_Metro Datavac Electric Duster ED-500 Vacuum Computer Electronic  _ USA Made

_bought at Staples - $68 USD _Be sure about Version for Your Country's Electric Standard

_Watch this video __Good Review    _video is called_ Metro DataVac Electric Duster  by phototristan

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qY8n0LJyVc

Metro-ED500_1A-F.jpg
    1091 x 759 - 183K
    Post edited by ed3D on

thanks for that ed#D

@Alberto - yes I don't use geneses at all because of the bloat - I'd love a plug in to fix it!

------------------------

As far as the 4 gig limit - yes I noticed both of my files (real and backup) are snipped at exactly 4 gig.

On a hunch  I tried compressing them witj 7 zip and then decompressing them - that added another 145 kil to the file oddly, but still wouldnt load

havent found a text editor yet to open the file and try the add more brackets fix 

I guess the moral is always check the file size of a saved car file before closing said car file in carrara

The 4 gig limit is also where most of my large files crash out, which is easy to do when I have multiple figures in a scene. Usually try to limit myself to a couple of Genesis figures then use Lorenzo and Loretta as scene fillers when I can use them. https://www.daz3d.com/lorenzo-and-loretta-bundle

I enjoy working with all of the Genesis figures and have moved morphs around between figures, still have more morphs that I want to experiment with, some of my critters can have 20 to 30 different morph combinations.

Hi Bunyip02, I have a lot of genesis stuff that I have never used because of the bloat - i did a few renders iitialy with genesis - great product would love to be able to use it but my typical scene is at least three characters. I have the low res figures - not bad especially with VWD cloth plugin but a bit bland in the face- I am working with a whole lot of M3 caharceters at the moment and have put M4 heads on them (used Daz studio to remove the other geometry but still keep the morphs) I guess I could do that with Lorenzo et al (put m4 head on them)

@Alberto

Other day I used Poser to inject some morphs into some clothes and put them on m4 then saved it out as a poser file and imported it into Carrara.

I noticed the poser file was quite small - around 23,000  - not sure how big the resulting Car file but I guess much bigger.

I wonder if there is a clue there with how Carrara build its scenes compared to Poser and whether that could be leveraged in the Genesis bloat battle.?? 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    head wax said:

thanks for that ed#D

_You're quite welcome_

head wax said:

@Alberto

Other day I used Poser to inject some morphs into some clothes and put them on m4 then saved it out as a poser file and imported it into Carrara.

I noticed the poser file was quite small - around 23,000  - not sure how big the resulting Car file but I guess much bigger.

I wonder if there is a clue there with how Carrara build its scenes compared to Poser and whether that could be leveraged in the Genesis bloat battle.?? 

I understand that the Poser files, as cr2 point to the runtime to load the geometry, etc.. It's a some similar mechanism to .duf files. And Carrara saves the entire geometry and morphs in .car files.

By the way, in a testing of the (incomplete) plugin, I found a reduction from 447 to 196 MB in a .car size (uncompressed format). I retained all the expression morphs, so the final size could be even lower.

Alberto said:

By the way, in a testing of the (incomplete) plugin, I found a reduction from 447 to 196 MB in a .car size (uncompressed format). I retained all the expression morphs, so the final size could be even lower.

wonderful news!!!

• I'm thinking that the reason why nobody ever asked for a plugin to fix the Genesis bloat, is because everyone assumed that it was deep in the code, and that only Daz could fix it.

It makes you think.  If this is even possible, what else is possible?

good point UB - 

• I'm thinking that the reason why nobody ever asked for a plugin to fix the Genesis bloat, is because everyone assumed that it was deep in the code, and that only Daz could fix it.

iray?

th3Digit said:

I'm thinking that the reason why nobody ever asked for a plugin to fix the Genesis bloat, is because everyone assumed that it was deep in the code, and that only Daz could fix it.

iray?

I would have thought our Misty could put G2 on a diet if she had time.  laugh Silene