A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established. ?

I am trying to install DAZ on my labtop. I downloaded and installed everything through DIM. DAZ Studio installed fine, but when I open it I get a message that "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established......."

THere is nothing in the content library.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

you did download and install PostgreSQL.CMS  amongst the "everything"  that you installed?

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

• I downloaded everything on the Daz3d.com website and had it installed automatically with DIM

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

The CMS needs access to an internal port on your computer and some Firewalls block it. You will need to allow the CMS access through the firewall and allow it to connect to the port. It isn't Studio that needs the access it is the PostgreSQL program.

• I wonder if it could be related that our internet appears to be very slow. 

It hasn't anything to do with the internet. It is access an internal port not access to the internet that it needs but it still has to go through the firewall.

• It's been a few weeks since I asked the above question. 

I am still trying to install DazStudio on my labtop. I need to get some work done while I am traveling in Germany. I am using a Macbook Pro and my Firewall is off. I just tried redownloading everything but I am still getting the same message as bevore.

Any other suggestions? Should I may be delete everything and start over again?

Chohole said:

you did download and install PostgreSQL.CMS  amongst the "everything"  that you installed?

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

I went to the Daz 3d download page and clicked on everything that was there to download. That process worked fine for me to install Daz3d on my desktop at home. I am not sure if I installed PostgreSQL.CMS. By now, I have downloaded, installed things a few times and I also went back into DIM and uninstalled available products and then reinstalled.

Don't know what else I could do to get it working?

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 12.51.17 PM.png
    842 x 374 - 52K

I don't know about a Mac but it is still looking for a port and the Mac is blocking the PostgreSQL program from accessing one, this has nothing to do with the internet it is a local port on the computer.

• This is how it looks in my application folder. It seems PostgreSQL.CMS did get installed.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 1.06.14 PM.png
    450 x 426 - 58K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,523

Hi,

I recently solved a similar case in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3950141

Please look it up and see if the issue is the same as that person (Tourist) had.

/ Totte

A slow internet - can be a slow DNS lookup, which can indicate that the DNS lookup system has been compromised by evil hackers that will reroute your DNS lookups to thier own DNS, and when you type something you know you will end up somewhere else. The reason I mention that is because if that is the case, the issue can be similar to the case in the thread I mentioned above.

• I checked your thread:
    Postgres run errors?
     in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/cms/ContentCluster/ is a file named dblog.txt (~) being your home directory. If you open that logfle (drag it to TextEdit or TextWrangler and move to the end of the file, there should be lines like

When I got to ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/cms/ContentCluster/ there is no file named dblog.txt

The ContentCluster folder is empty

I am wondering if I should try reinstalling everything. I am worried in my efforts to get Daz going I may have screwed something up.

If I want to delete everything related to Daz Studio, can I just drag it into the trash? How do I effectively uninstall Daz Studio?

If the content cluster is empty, it can mean a few things, but I suspect that DS was for some reason not allowed to create the databases, which can be that the postgres server is not allowed to run.

What OS X version are you running?

edited October 2018

OK, 

What does you CMS settings under preferences in DAZ Studio say?

Mine says..

cms.jpg
    673 x 160 - 7K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • Here we go:

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 11.31.54 AM.png
    1024 x 236 - 38K

OK, so it should be located where you looked but database files has been created.
    Two roads to follow from this:
    - Who is the owner of the cms directory in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ library? Does the user running DAZ Stufio and DIM have write access rights to it?
    You can find that out using Terminal.app or using Finder get Info (can't type the terminal commands in the forum as the security system will think it's a hacking attempt..

- The run privilegies of the psql files in /Applications

You can find that your by just doubleclick the psql file in /Applications/DAZ 3D/PostreSQL CMS/bin/  and if it asks for password just type random letters and return to get a failed login, but the question is, is it even allowed to run?

• This porblem just cropped up for me today as well. You may want to kick yourself when you see how simple the salution is but I read somewhere else all you need to do is unistall the files in the installer and reinstall them. I read this just after I saw this thread. I tried it and it worked perfectly Sorry, don't ask me where I saw it. This problem popped up for me while researching another and I totally forgot where I saw it. But hey, it's simple enough it's worth a try right?

• On Windows 10 the same problem solved by starting DAZ Studio as Admin. (Run as Administrator)

• I've been struggling with similar problem for like a week now. I am actually using win 10. But other than that things look the same. I might just add that DIM doesn't install the most important stuff for me ('install failed') like Daz 4.10 or postgreSQL, it does install all the additional files however... I tried to reinstall everything from the scratch, even manually delating every trace of daz in between the trials. I tried to run as admin. I tried to install with my firewall switched off and internet unplugged from the pc. The thing is, I got to the same place as AnneWertheim. I even have the same port number set in preferences. I also have an empty contentcluster folder...

As for the 2 ways which weren't answered: Not sure, who is the 'owner' of the directory - I am attaching some about the folder (hopefully a good one), but just in case I unchecked the 'read only' box to the main daz connected folders and all sub folders. As for the second method: when I doubleclick psql it shows a black box, which soon shuts down automatically. I can input a letter or two if I am fast before that happens but that's all, it closes almost instantly by itself.

Would be really glad if anyone (Totte?) could lead me further and help me install everything right.

002.jpg
    567 x 535 - 66K
    011.jpg
    443 x 482 - 54K

@Richard_Hasetine: Windows installing is not really my cup of tea, so I hand this one over to you!

• Oh, too bad. Richard is/was already trying to help me with this one in my own thread for new users, but since he got silent for few days I was hoping to catch someone else, who might have some pointers. Anyway, thanks for stopping by, Totte ^^

• anwalen said:

On Windows 10 the same problem solved by starting DAZ Studio as Admin. (Run as Administrator)

Don't do that, it's likely to cause problems (indeed, it may already have caused a problem and that's why the PostgreSQL connection is failing).

Oh, too bad. Richard is/was already trying to help me with this one in my own thread for new users, but since he got silent for few days I was hoping to catch someone else, who might have some pointers. Anyway, thanks for stopping by, Totte ^^

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add - I think you may need to open a support ticket if no one else offers a better suggestion.

• Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add - I think you may need to open a support ticket if no one else offers a better suggestion.

No problem and thanks a lot for trying.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I am sure some Windows experts will say this is terrible advice but I solved all my Windows UAC problems by not installing to the Program Files folders.

• jestmart said:

I am sure some Windows experts will say this is terrible advice but I solved all my Windows UAC problems by not installing to the Program Files folders.

At this point I am willing to try even ridiculous ideas... Still the tip hasn't solved the problem.

• I have the same issue. Suddenly DAZ studio does not work and i get the PostgreSQL cms error message. Uninstalling and reinstalling and rebooting did not fix. OSX 10.14.4

• I have the sample problem on Win7 system. I don't have any folder called `cms` on any disk drives.

It's frustrating that an app with an install manager can not install itself properly.

• I have the sample problem on Win7 system. I don't have any folder called `cms` on any disk drives.

It's frustrating that an app with an install manager can not install itself properly.

Is your problem Install Manager or daz studio, or PostgreSQL? This thread is about an issue that manifests on starting DS.

• Thanks for this thread! I have been struggling with this as well. What fixed it for me just now was to navigate into the "cms" folder and change the Security settings for the only folder there ("ContentCluster") so that everyone ("jeder") is granted full control instead of just read access. I hope that does not create any security risks - but it seems to be a rather special folder that would not be accessed by other processes in any case (?).

screenshot.jpg
    589 x 598 - 105K
  • Thanks for this thread! I have been struggling with this as well. What fixed it for me just now was to navigate into the "cms" folder and change the Security settings for the only folder there ("ContentCluster") so that everyone ("jeder") is granted full control instead of just read access. I hope that does not create any security risks - but it seems to be a rather special folder that would not be accessed by other processes in any case (?).

That sounds like the cosnequence of having run DIM as administrator previously (which should not be done, and is now blocked).