Imogen Is Looking Good!

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.daz3d.com/imogen-v6-and-g6-promo-girl

I'm rendering her now, will be awhile as I did her with a .20 shading rate, lol. Using a mixture of Predatron's Lights 2 and mine, and put her in the Paige Dress with Lady Florence Hair. I'm used to seeing skin that doesn't glow in the fairly- dark (so to speak) so adding the lights was weird to me. Had to do a BUNCH of spot renders, whereas normally I can judge pretty well since I"m used to my lights. What exactly makes this skin so luminescent? (Don't get me wrong, it came out really nice in the spot renders and her forehead has come in and looking good.)

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2013

She still needs some tweaking so far as color (would like a bit more golden hue than ruddy) but this is only the first test render. Here she is.
    EDIT: The cheek looks spotchy to me, the lights do use UE2 so I'll have to go back and look at the render settings. What could be changed? Bucket size 32, pixel samples 12, shadow samples 32, gain 1.00, gamma off, shading rate .30, pixel filter width 9.38 I'm new to using UE2 so any suggestions?

imogen.jpg
    727 x 842 - 248K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    http://www.daz3d.com/imogen-v6-and-g6-promo-girl

I'm rendering her now, will be awhile as I did her with a .20 shading rate, lol. Using a mixture of Predatron's Lights 2 and mine, and put her in the Paige Dress with Lady Florence Hair. I'm used to seeing skin that doesn't glow in the fairly- dark (so to speak) so adding the lights was weird to me. Had to do a BUNCH of spot renders, whereas normally I can judge pretty well since I"m used to my lights. What exactly makes this skin so luminescent? (Don't get me wrong, it came out really nice in the spot renders and her forehead has come in and looking good.)

Hi there...
    I don't know this skinset, but going on an ideal checklist: 'ambient' values other than 0 on the surfaces or translucency can cause the glowing (check also subsurfaces for the same parameters). Same with high specular with low glossiness. Finally bounce and ambient lights (especially if they are set for no shadows) should be used very sparingly to avoid unreal self light illusions.

The test render looks quite nice, but i would tune down the bumpmap a bit for her face to soften the skin look.

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited August 2013

Thanks Novica, glad you liked it and are playing with it already :)

The included promo lights is UE2 if you want to check that out. Of course you should be able to use Imogen with any lights, just mentioning this in case anyone wants to see how to reproduce the promo images - I'm throwing these lights into most of my products lately for this reason - "how to get what you bought" basically.

It is glowy due to my setting of the Age of Armour shader subsurface scattering (not ambient colour, eek, she's not meant to be radioactive lol) The SSS is done to my taste which runs to "waxy as possible" hehe :red: ... which is even more pronounced in the poser settings! If you want to turn it down, I suggest turning down the subsurface strength from 100% to whichever level you prefer. :)

My render settings for promos is shown below... I had saved my promo scene lights as a full .duf scene including render settings but that's not allowed by DAZ QA (it over-rides the user's in progress scene!) so I intend include a separate render setting preset in future.

imogen-test-01.png
    615 x 800 - 409K
    ds-render-settings.jpg
    494 x 1020 - 63K
    Post edited by AprilYSH on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the assistance everyone, appreciate you so much! :) I used someone else's light set (and note the time of the morning, which didn't help lol) and so wasn't exactly sure what I was dealing with even before I added my own. I think she is LOVELY so I'll go play around with it later today and get it fine tuned. Thanks SO much for sharing her- what a gem!