My WIP thread

mach25mach25 Posts: 256
edited October 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi

well anyone else have experience making a cockpit,what scale of figure is right?should aiko be bigger compared to aircraft or smaller,place more forward or backward or lower?first step is to export a reference pilot to model with help and start to cut out hole and use this deformed sphere,to be shaped underside to be a sit place for cockpit and start work details

offcourse I will make cockpit for newer figures,but I think its easier to use a lite figure in hexagon while working

maybe add some ladder where pilot/mechanic can stand on

also add some details like missile holders and such and already have some camo textures,with one layer for each insignia so it will be possible to choose between different ones

it would be nice at last stage to know how to make it possible in DS to easily position figure with one mousepress and same time pose it to sitting pilot pose

Mach

Ajetcockpit1.png
800 x 800 - 309K
deltawingsidefront.png
1004 x 567 - 105K
Post edited by mach25 on

Comments

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256
    edited September 2018

wrecked some things I need to fix,Red vertices is bottom of cockpit,little smaller than upper blue transparent glass,maybe do a different approach later,maybe start with simplify model first, 3 things to cut thru,wing,cylindrical body and rectangular body part thats part of air intake

somehow boolean won't work

update:new version successfully made hole with help of diamond tesselation,the oval is representing pilot temporary solution

red bottom is because I seen first single engine jet fighters with nose intake have kinda that shape inside aircraft,I am stuck right now,it looks bad

I separated cockpit from airplane

AjetcockpitWIP2.png
    1660 x 848 - 435K
    jetcockpitWIP4.png
    1156 x 849 - 200K
    jetcockpitWIP5.png
    1409 x 849 - 267K
    Post edited by mach25 on

yippi I broke all material listings,maybe too many materials?almost 100 materials and after that it started to show most materials as greys,but I had some progress making a pilot helmet

pilothelmet1.png
    1156 x 848 - 530K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

A tip that I learned when I was making the baby crib ... when you have multiples of an item (say in your case multiple missiles with the same shape and size), just create one at first. After you've UV mapped it, then go back and create clones of that part of the object. They will inherit the UV mapping and so materials become a lot easier to handle.

edited September 2018
    JonnyRay said:

A tip that I learned when I was making the baby crib ... when you have multiples of an item (say in your case multiple missiles with the same shape and size), just create one at first. After you've UV mapped it, then go back and create clones of that part of the object. They will inherit the UV mapping and so materials become a lot easier to handle.

thanks,the flame part of missiles/afterburners I want randomized so I don't end up with badlooking several flames beside each other looking exactly the same,is it possible to do it with shader in DS or manually have different random UV's and materials on flames?

I think this is the next step in modelling airplanes is to make it possible to use with pilots,mechanics etc

question:maybe next time I make a airplane start with cockpit like I did with the red meshes and work out from that to make plane is best approach?

Post edited by mach25 on
  • Mach25, I think what JonnyRay said is a good idea. If you want different textures just move things around on the uvmap.

edited September 2018

Mach25, I think what JonnyRay said is a good idea. If you want different textures just move things around on the uvmap.

Thanks Maybe alternative to do that with jetplanes too,before rendering because last time I managed to break DS with too many aircrafts
    Post edited by mach25 on
    edited September 2018

question is should I go oldschool instrument panel,modern instrument panel or scifi?

seems like I end up with spinoff :a red canoe

let it become "Le Grande Canoe"laugh,also made new ship guntowers

question is,should I look at carrier/battleship/destroyer silhouettes and use lines to draw top midship buildings and use surface tools to start with and then go detail from there?  

updated,surface tools are annoying because I have to enter same value over and over again,using different colors for different levels,red=1st floor,green=second floor,blue=high things:black=chimney and other round things

aircraft carrier.png
    1156 x 849 - 52K
    gunturrets.png
    1409 x 849 - 246K
    midship2.png
    1156 x 848 - 364K
    newbattleship2.png
    1156 x 848 - 124K
    battleship4x.JPG
    800 x 600 - 92K
    Post edited by mach25 on

I am stuck with the cockpit part,besides found a chair making tutorial

edited September 2018

problem:gunturrets(group) are rotating around center of cannons+turret,when I want them to rotate around center of turret???

also problems with wrong grouping

Post edited by mach25 on
    edited September 2018
    JonnyRay said:

found out you just need to remember name gunturrets or whatever multiples of an item different when exporting to .obj and importing to bryce 7,like turretA,turretB etc,otherwise trying to rotate/translate/scale separatly doesnt work properly,it ends up belonging to same group=same name you end up rotating all turrets around center of object together

also added some bullet trace with help of very huge ballistic 2d curve+tiny thickness

I was thinking one cannon turret to be for smaller destroyers,but works great as anti aircraft turrets

Post edited by mach25 on

going to take a look at USS Kidd for ship details are made,the ship came with bryce5.5 ,ship is almost 300k polys

edited October 2018

I started to work on details,thought it would probably be better to model most things separatly,probably hexagon is more stable than having loads of other things in there,especially hipoly G8 for reference in my cockpit,so that's why I changed threads title

details I started to work on battleship objects+other things

lifeboat,balcony,headlight,fence maybe possible to render fence in some 3dapp and output black/white transmap/bumpmap

brand new heart,problem with the old one so I got a brokenheart outputted and a crash,but it could be made to a classic brokenheartshape,there is difference in number of polys old way I made it and new way

brokenheart.png
    1156 x 849 - 205K
    brandnewheart1.png
    1156 x 849 - 323K
    joystickWIP1.png
    1156 x 849 - 172K
    Post edited by mach25 on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Hi Mach,

this looks like you already put a lot of work into this and I'm totally impressed, as I didn't get  my head wrapped around hexagon the one time I tried. So good luck with proceeding!

As for the design of the cockpit, I think the futiristic version is probably a bit easier to design, you need a lot of sufaces you can use as sceens and manage the rest through texturing, plus they have the advatage at rendering that you can use nice glowing effects to make it look moody. For example the statrwars x-wing fighter has a nice "easy" interior which would fit with the fighter design you got there.

I hope that helps :D

Linwelly said:

Hi Mach,

this looks like you already put a lot of work into this and I'm totally impressed, as I didn't get  my head wrapped around hexagon the one time I tried. So good luck with proceeding!

As for the design of the cockpit, I think the futiristic version is probably a bit easier to design, you need a lot of sufaces you can use as sceens and manage the rest through texturing, plus they have the advatage at rendering that you can use nice glowing effects to make it look moody. For example the statrwars x-wing fighter has a nice "easy" interior which would fit with the fighter design you got there.

I hope that helps :D

thanks Linwelly,I try that out

edited July 2019

new WIP chess pieces,experimenting some with brown piece,bottom part is same on many chess pieces,pawn and bishop made up by round meshes,knight will be special,tower,queen,King round meshes with added crowns/boxes ontop

Post edited by mach25 on