Can’t continue to Model Promoted Master?

windyplayerwindyplayer Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just tried to use promote to master and it gave me nothing. When I open the modelling window on the new master, no window opens.

Here are the steps:
Create a vertex object and model it to contain several parts.
Save the file, open it again.
In the assembly window, select the object and choose Promote to Master from the Edit menu.
Observe that there is a new master object in the panel named Objects at the lower right.
Dclick on that icon to model the master.
Nothing happens. Carrara shows me a blank area where the modelling window should be.

Drag the object from the objects panel to the assembly window and the object appears.

So, it looks like you can't continue to Model promoted masters.

Really? Or is this a bug?
I thought the point of having a new master was to be able to edit it to make a new version?
So we can only take a snapshot and move on with editing the original?

Of course I can do the same thing by saving a new file and editing the object in the new file, but that's extra steps to accomplish the same thing.

Something I'm missing?

- wp

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to Carrara Discussion, as I think you posted in the wrong forum by mistake, as this is not a DS issue.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited August 2013

zero out the position of the model. make sure you are in the editing room and not the assembly room or double click the model or make sure you are in editing mode in the assembly room. or drag the new master into the assembly room window. zero out position double click the model and it should take you to the editing room

Post edited by dot_bat on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    zero out the position of the model. make sure you are in the editing room and not the assembly room or double click the model or make sure you are in editing mode in the assembly room. or drag the new master into the assembly room window. zero out position double click the model and it should take you to the editing room
    Wow! Talk about a helpful, and complete list of optional ways to get into the modeling room, eh? dot_bat, you R O C K ! ! !
    (oh, and thanks for the cool 'coons' tip in the other thread!)
  • windyplayerwindyplayer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I misunderstood what masters are.

A master is a "macro" for a collection - possibly - of one or more Carrara objects. The instances in the "Master" are the same instances as in the rest of the project.

To show this follow these steps:
    Create a vertex object, go to modelling window and make something unique.
    Close back to assembly.
    Name the instance a FooBar.
    Select that and Promote to master.
    Notice you now have two "Objects" in the objects list [bottom right Objects tab.] One is called FooBar and one is called Vertex Object.
    If you now drag the FooBar into the assembly window you get a second object that looks like the first.
    If you try to model it you get nothing. You can't model masters.
    If you "Jump In' in the edit menu, you see the object and you can move it around - arrange it with other things in that master.
    If you then select the vertex object in the Jumped In master, you can edit the original Vertex Model that contributed to the Master.

So, a master is not a "New" copy of a fundamental object, but a copy that is a Macro.

Masters are to allow you to arrange some collections of things that you want to use again and again.

So, I'm back to my original question.
    Is there a way to make a copy of a Vertex, or other type of, modeled object that I can uniquely modify?

Masters don't work that way.
    My misunderstanding.
    Thanks

- wp

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited August 2013

i cant open carrara now no serial. are you looking in the masters tab in the sequencer tab. thats where your masters are. the rite side is instances only. and everyone of them can be edited uniquely. you dont move masters in the assembly room only instances. masters live in the masters tab in the sequencer tab. i think your talking about groups. and jumping in to that. and they are not masters they are a collection of instances. you can modify a master by dclicking in in the masters tab and that will modify every instance based on that master or dclick the instance and dclick and double click again and you will get a panel if you want to edit the master or make a new one. i hope im understanding you and that it helps. i just tried it. duplicate the instance, promote to master and there it is in sequencer tab. double click the instance jump in double click and chose. or dclick a master in the sequencer tab and takes you rite to editing mode. a master is not an instance as you have stated

Screen_shot_2013-08-23_at_4.22_.33_PM_.png
    232 x 112 - 12K
    Screen_shot_2013-08-23_at_4.18_.46_PM_.png
    355 x 317 - 53K
    Screen_shot_2013-08-23_at_4.08_.52_PM_.png
    210 x 253 - 18K
    Post edited by dot_bat on
  • windyplayerwindyplayer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Very Cool!! Thanks!

I didn't see the browser on the left. I was trying to use the browser on the right. Here's a pic of a modified master after I used Duplicate with Right Click on the master in the browser on the left.

Very nice solution once we find it.
    - wp

A90_2013_08_00048.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 255K
  • tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited August 2013

Hi windyplayer.

The 'Promote to Master' option, as I understand it, is to be able to group multiple instances and have that group be a master to other duplicates. So moving/translating an object in the master group will also move the object in any duplicates. There are limitations. Some modifiers won't work within the master group, and replicated master groups won't render.

In the vertex modeler, you can also use Copy/Paste on separate polymeshes or selections from one model window to another. If a vertex instance has separate polymeshes, the assemble room, Edit->Split Object command will convert them into separate masters.

Post edited by tbwoq on