I have to ask... Is it worth it to upgrade to Carrara 8.5?

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Aside from genesis support, are there any other significant changes/additions to 8.5 from 8.1? I already own both the V5 and M5 pro bundles and I'm debating whether or not this incremental update/release is worth my $85.50. I haven't been able to find any comparisons between the versions either (8.5 vs 8.1 or pro vs standard).

I don't do much character animation/posing at the moment, so genesis support is not a big deal for me. I've mostly been using it for "eye candy" terrain modeling at work lately.

I haven't seen much in the forums about new features; only endless rants about cart pricing goofs and serial numbers.

Comments

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

With PC discounts the bundled content alone is worth the price. Easy call.

• edited December 1969

Not really. $85.5 is still $85.5. I'm more interested in terrain import, vegetation, atmosphere improvements. I use 8.1 for terrain simulations for floodplain and sea level rise mapping. I really couldn't care less about genesis support. And like I said, I already own the two pro bundles.

Do you know of anywhere to look for new feature descriptions other than the simple "New in Carrara 8.5" list found on the product page?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

johnplay said:

Not really. $85.5 is still $85.5. I'm more interested in terrain import, vegetation, atmosphere improvements. I use 8.1 for terrain simulations for floodplain and sea level rise mapping. I really couldn't care less about genesis support. And like I said, I already own the two pro bundles.

Do you know of anywhere to look for new feature descriptions other than the simple "New in Carrara 8.5" list found on the product page?

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-tech-specs/

• edited December 1969

Thanks chohole, but that is just a feature list difference between Carrara 8.0 pro v standard. I need something 8.0 v 8.5 that includes something more than "Wow, we can now do stuff with genesis characters!"

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I think the release announcement in the forums here is more or less complete.

edited August 2013

johnplay said:
    Thanks chohole, but that is just a feature list difference between Carrara 8.0 pro v standard. I need something 8.0 v 8.5 that includes something more than "Wow, we can now do stuff with genesis characters!"

I believe the plan since the acquisition to get Carrara more closely integrated with the DAZ product lines. The 8.5 upgrade _IS_ focused bringing Carrara closer into the DAZ on DS/Genesis architecture so it that is not what you are seeking, it maybe best to wait for Carrara 9.0 release for additional advancements in modelling, animation and rendering. I think I read its expected Q1/14.

Of course you will have 2 upgrade cost jumps to make then.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Depends. As I own content, and am less than impressed with the release, not at all. Lightwave's upgrade from 11 to 11.6 was far more substantial - and free.

Given that I also run Mac, DAZ is telling me to stick with Lightwave since Carrara 8 pro doesn't work with 10.8. I guess they want me to get away from Bryce to, as far as it goes.

I will hold out for a $1.99 version.

Before anyone says it will never happen, allow me to point out DAZ Studio pro, Carrara 8 Pro, and Bryce 7 as recent examples of them changing their mind

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

johnplay said:

I'm not sure whether the upgrade will be worth it to you, but we need as many Carrara users as we can get.

That said, for what you do, you might want to add Bryce to your tool box.

• RendernowRendernow Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

It is definitely a content centric focused update. Some folks are going to like it and some are going to say where's the beef? I guess --its a personal choice to make. Much easier if you do not have vic 5 or mike 5 to decide then when you have those already .

There are a lot of new content delivery/ use / animate things in here --so its not like they are trying to sell something that has nothing new its just maybe focused on something some folks have no interest. Version 9 I hope can work on core items and maybe then the other folks get their chance and if its in 2014 anytime that would be not such a bad wait.

I was on fence but I do not have vic 5 or mike 5 so I think I am going upgrade once they figure out the discount to previous owners of 8 ..mine is still messed up as of 12:03 pm eastern. And despite not being a huge content guy.......I do try and support the development to continue the development. I would hate to see C stop being developed even if at a slower pace.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Rendernow said:
    It is definitely a content centric focused update. Some folks are going to like it and some are going to say where's the beef?

No - not "where's the beef?"

WHERE IS THE MILLENNIUM COW??

No new purchase will be worth the asking price without it. Not even Carrara 9!

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited December 1969

In my case the upgrade was worth it. I didn't have M5 and V5 Pro bundles and there is that nasty Object import bug that is in 8.1 that rendered it useless to me and forced me to run the 8.5 beta. So for that bug alone I was going to upgrade.

• Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

If you use a Mac with OS 10.7 or above, then the upgrade is necessary.
    If you use content and don't already own the included bundle, it may be worth it for you.
    If none of the above applies, check the new feature list below to determine whether or not the upgrade is worth the cost for you.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27826/

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Question: Where are you seeing $85.50 price? I have 8.1 Pro and a PC member, yet the only price I am seeing is $171.00 for the Pro and $89.97 for standard... Am I looking at the wrong product pages?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    Question: Where are you seeing $85.50 price? I have 8.1 Pro and a PC member, yet the only price I am seeing is $171.00 for the Pro and $89.97 for standard... Am I looking at the wrong product pages?

Here is a post explaining http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27826/P165

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Antara said:

Thank you! Got it. My cart was one of the many that didn't update properly. I think they are fixing it now, because I reloaded it twice in the last 7 minutes and first reload showed old price (171) and second reload updated the price. Yay! :)

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Antara said:

Awesome avatar, Frank0314!

Just saying

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

a 171 bucks for what amounts to a .5 version 'upgrade'??? that's pucking futs. got better things to spend that kind of money on. I'll be sitting this so-called upgrade out.

ed

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

$85.50 if your are upgrading from the previous version.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    $85.50 if your are upgrading from the previous version.

And a PC member

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

Ok, NOW its showing up as 85.00 in my cart. dang it. that spoils a good rant. :)

ed

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    Depends. As I own content, and am less than impressed with the release, not at all. Lightwave's upgrade from 11 to 11.6 was far more substantial - and free.

Given that I also run Mac, DAZ is telling me to stick with Lightwave since Carrara 8 pro doesn't work with 10.8. I guess they want me to get away from Bryce to, as far as it goes.

Before anyone says it will never happen, allow me to point out DAZ Studio pro, Carrara 8 Pro, and Bryce 7 as recent examples of them changing their mind

And how much did Lightwave cost you? Could it also be published by a bigger company with deeper pockets? If you can afford LW, why are you complaining about $89 bucks?!?

edited December 1969

Verlon said:

And how much did Lightwave cost you? Could it also be published by a bigger company with deeper pockets? If you can afford LW, why are you complaining about $89 bucks?!?

>I am guessing he has not felt the pain of a .5 update of Photoshop / CS upgrade either<</p>

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Good point. Lots of companies do this, and lots more will in the future.

I'm waiting anyway. I'm waiting to find out stability, compatibility and for possible discounted or free versions of C8.1 Pro. I'm using C7.2 Pro, and if you think the upgrade fee is expensive for C8 users and PC members, then maybe you should log out and look at the straight price for C8.5, because that's my upgrade cost!

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Some of the non-Genesis related improvements in C8.5 Im guessing are;

Bullet Physics improvements to SoftBody(still don't know if this is out of beta?)
    Motion tab->Inherit Scaling
    Enter text boxes->right click Cut/Copy/Paste
    View->Lock Production Frame
    Sequencer->Graph Editor scaling box
    Keyboard shortcuts for animation->Play/Stop, Advance/Preview frame
    Keyframe Filters->Sample/Smooth/Reduce
    New Light object scene icons and controls improved
    Support Soft Selection for Morph Target areas(?)
    Shading->Texture Map->Fast MipMap
    Shading->Operator->Multi-Layer
    Shading->Operator->Multi-Layer Element
    Shading->Operator->UV Transform

There are other improvements like the parameter pane and filters(and bug fixes etc.) that can be considered non-Genesis related maybe. At the current price(imho), its definately not worth getting unless your using Genesis alot(which btw, is only available to import, no .duf export?).