Carrara 8.5 bugs

Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara 8.5 has been out for a few hours. Time to collect a list of issues.

1. filing bug reports does not work.
The "Report a bug" link in the app still goes to bugs.daz3d.com, but it's forwarded to Zendesk. What happened to Mantis?
2. Documentation is way out of date
The "Carrara Help" link opens a 5-year-old file documenting Carrara 7.
The "Daz web site" link goes to a Carrara 8 page, not Carrara 8.5.

Comments

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

#2 is not a bug! for the amount spent on 8.5, why would you expect current documentation?

ed

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

#1 Bugs are now dealt with at Zendesk, through Tech Support.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Eric3ddd said:
    Carrara 8.5 has been out for a few hours. Time to collect a list of issues.

1. filing bug reports does not work.
    The "Report a bug" link in the app still goes to bugs.daz3d.com, but it's forwarded to Zendesk. What happened to Mantis?
    2. Documentation is way out of date
    The "Carrara Help" link opens a 5-year-old file documenting Carrara 7.
    The "Daz web site" link goes to a Carrara 8 page, not Carrara 8.5.

At least it's not the version 6 manual. ;-)

• edited December 1969

While we're on the "bugs" topic, what happened to all the Scene files, Objects, Etc. that used to be part of Carrara. The Genesis stuff seems to be there, but the the old files (that used to be a separate download) are missing. I tried loading the Version 8 content but that didn't work. Is there some way to export the Version 8 pre-sets and objects into 8.5?

edited December 1969

Apparently there is a missing file in the download, should be fixed soon.

• tezentezen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK.... "fixed soon"... but now I know why it´s not a full-9-version... :( ... some things changed which shouldn´t... luxus4carrara isn´t working right now... and some other stuff... ok... Genesis is working...

edited December 1969

a file which can be added back into the Product Library is hardly anything major,

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    a file which can be added back into the Product Library is hardly anything major,

Well true, but on the other hand....

The 180MB of missing content and the missing Serial Number do indicate a major failure to QA the release package.

I would hope that DAZ takes this seriously and learns a lesson. Dismissing these problems as trivial would be mistake.

IMHO

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

...couldn't one just use the Carrara Native Content form 8.1?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    That's exactly right. The 8.5 Native content downloads supplement the Carrara 8 Native content files. Just make certain that the Carrara 8 Native Content gets installed to the new location and, Bam!!! You got it skippy!!! ;)

Sure is good seein' you around again Kyote Kid! You and many others I haven't seen in an eon or more... Welcome home!
    Tezen, bcameron... lot's of friends from days gone by are here lately, I like it! There's really fresh and yummy coffee and tea over there... beer's in the fridge.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Well true, but on the other hand....

The 180MB of missing content and the missing Serial Number do indicate a major failure to QA the release package.

I would hope that DAZ takes this seriously and learns a lesson. Dismissing these problems as trivial would be mistake.

IMHO

No hardly a major failure. at all. One file got left out of the download set up , and that and the serial numbers got caught up with as soon as the Office opened for business this morning. so now everyone can be happy and can start using there new software. :coolsmile:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    That's exactly right. The 8.5 Native content downloads supplement the Carrara 8 Native content files. Just make certain that the Carrara 8 Native Content gets installed to the new location and, Bam!!! You got it skippy!!! ;)

Sure is good seein' you around again Kyote Kid! You and many others I haven't seen in an eon or more... Welcome home!
    Tezen, bcameron... lot's of friends from days gone by are here lately, I like it! There's really fresh and yummy coffee and tea over there... beer's in the fridge.
    ..thank you.

I've been waiting to be able to use my Genesis developed characters in Carrara as it works so much better with scenery as well as allows me to generate my own (as I mentioned, I have the Woodlands Kit).

Been using 4.6 for now but really feel limited in comparison when it come to large scenes and sweeping vistas (and flora takes forever to render in 3Delight with raytracing/UE).

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

..thank you.

I've been waiting to be able to use my Genesis developed characters in Carrara as it works so much better with scenery as well as allows me to generate my own (as I mentioned, I have the Woodlands Kit).

Been using 4.6 for now but really feel limited in comparison when it come to large scenes and sweeping vistas (and flora takes forever to render in 3Delight with raytracing/UE).

Not sure if I'm parsing this correctly, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but just to emphasize, the Carrara Native Content doesn't include the DAZ figures. Those will be separate DLs.

edited December 1969

If it helps at all NeilV did this screen shot of what comes with Carrara 8.5 Pro.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27859/#415003

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

For anybody doing nude renders.....
    Genesis and Genesis2Female Gens still do not map properly when conformed or fit to the Genesis or Genesis2 figure

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that ProPose, I was wondering whether the geograft mapping issue had been fixed.

If someone has the David shape for Genesis, can you check whether it's still broken? At least I think it was David, although the bug probably affects other shapes as well.

I don't remember what other bugs there were in beta. IIRC one of the DAZ people said that there was supposed to be a list of known issues in the readme of this release.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

I got another BUG, or as least it bugs the hell out of me. Exports out of C8.5 to obj get triangulated. I model in quads, and I kind of expect them to stay that way, at least the do in C8.1

• edited December 1969

Hello, I'm back. Maybe it's my fault (always possible ) but I've tried all the fixes for the missing native content and nothing works. I even started up my Parallels Window 7 ( which does have 8.1 but has NEVER had any version of 8.5 on it ) and used DIM to download and install, and the presets are still missing. ( yes I did download and install the native content) I am VERY disappointed that ANY install should have these problems. If the installer encounters problems it should pop up a dialog box. If the problem is with the install, that is a major fail of quality control. My current guess is that the problem may be with the Content MisManageement System. Thanks for reading through my rant. Let me know if version 8.5.1 ( due in the Spring of 2073 ) fixes the problem. I apologize for the snarky attitude, but waiting this long for 4 hours of disappointment makes me cranky.

Thanks for fixing the problem
    (whenever you do)
    Jay

edited December 1969

...now I know what´s missing at C8.5.
    ...I saw this picture: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=91789_bHZDaFDFDc9aJhc0pQ0K&board_id=1 .
    ...and nothing was installed :( at mine only some older DAZstudio-crap!

Do you know the three characters for my feeling?: WTF!

@DAZ: You´re only human I know... but PLEASE NEVER release software in that style (priceproblems, contentproblems, serialnr-problems, problemproblems...) ! It´s the worst you can do for your future.

See ya spring of 2073!
    ;)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915
    edited August 2013

That screen shows the products that come with. You have to install each one of those to get all the content.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

All the thumbnails shown in that screen shot are products that need to be installed. Most of them are from the bonus V5 and M5 bundles.

edited December 1969

@Frank0314 & chohole
    ...Yes. Ja. Si. ...but WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THESE PRODUCTS? I didn´t use the install-manager because on my graphic-pc there´s no internet-connection...

edited December 1969

Click on it and you can download it

edited December 1969

@Frank0314 - just doing it right now... oh - I had a blackout ;) ... thx

• edited December 1969

Hi, I'm back with good news. After looking at the Install Manager on my Parallels Window 7, I discovered I had not installed the Carrara 8 Native content. I installed it and my Windows Carrara 8.5 works ! Emboldened by my success, I deleted ALL Daz installed files and directories off my Mac and reinstalled. Did not work. Still missing presets. So, what's the lesson learned ? At this point, DAZ knows how to write a Windows install. They do not know how to write a simple, working Mac install.

Some thoughts I've had while going through this:

1. Why is required content a separate install? ( if it's a question of size offer the separate files as an option.)
    2. Why is a file required to install Version 8.5 labeled 8 ? ( And why not make the Native Content 8.5 the only one needed ?)
    3. Why not make a combined install for Mac that puts everything where it belongs ?
    4. Why can't I see the paths the Content Management System uses ? ( I don't want to modify them in any way, I just want to see where they're pointing.)
    5. Customer service for a new release must be a B*tch.

Thanks,
    Jay

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,853
    edited December 1969

Hi, I'm back with good news. After looking at the Install Manager on my Parallels Window 7, I discovered I had not installed the Carrara 8 Native content. I installed it and my Windows Carrara 8.5 works ! Emboldened by my success, I deleted ALL Daz installed files and directories off my Mac and reinstalled. Did not work. Still missing presets. So, what's the lesson learned ? At this point, DAZ knows how to write a Windows install. They do not know how to write a simple, working Mac install.

Some thoughts I've had while going through this:

1. Why is required content a separate install? ( if it's a question of size offer the separate files as an option.)
    2. Why is a file required to install Version 8.5 labeled 8 ? ( And why not make the Native Content 8.5 the only one needed ?)
    3. Why not make a combined install for Mac that puts everything where it belongs ?
    4. Why can't I see the paths the Content Management System uses ? ( I don't want to modify them in any way, I just want to see where they're pointing.)
    5. Customer service for a new release must be a B*tch.

Thanks,
    Jay

I just found out that the Carrara 8 Content seems to fail on OS X via DIM, but the old BitRock 8.0.0.4 Content works.

edited December 1969

tezen said:
    @Frank0314 - just doing it right now... oh - I had a blackout ;) ... thx

Your welcome. I know that this new system can be confusing at times.

• edited December 1969

Me again, the tip about the BitRock installer 8 Native Content worked. Happiness throughout the land! . Thanks All.
    Jay

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

What is the best way top report a bug, anyway? I hope I did it right--I submitted a Technical Support request and included "bug" in the subject line.

Carrara 8.5 locks up when loading the "Horned Barbarian" boots on M5 (or any Genesis figure). Tried loading M5 and the boots in DS4.6 and importing into Carrara, but it locked up as well.

Probably user error, but it's the first item I found that wasn't working.....