Spaceship Repair Facility and Ship

Would like to have a spaceship repair facility (kind of along the lines of a modern car repair shop but for spaceships) with a ship that had an open engine compartment with wires and do-dads, maybe removeable parts.

Comments

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 408
    edited September 2018

The large class cruisers would be space dock repaired for practical purposes.
    To that end, you would need a bunch of EVO techs floating around the tendered vessel.

Smaller, fighter, transport class ships would be repaired in either a non pressure constructed facility (planet side or interior of the tender ship) or pressure constructed (on the exterior of the tender ship).

The jet engines shown below (for illustration purposes) would be acceptable for actual implemintation in the final rendering of smaller class, space faring vessel repairs since the technology would be similar and as such, the mechanics as well.

What you need is a beter idea of where you wnat this repair facility to be located and what types of vessels you want it to be classified to repair.

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • Well, I would want it to be either land, air or space based. The land base facilities could be used for other equipment other than ships/shuttles - like 4 story tall mech robots.  Now the air based ones would be more for lighter crafts - not the behemoth ships that would deploy, let's say mechs for instance. That would be more of the space based repair shop's duties (figured it would be a heck of a lot easier to work on a 2500 ton mech in zero gravity). 

Love the images - those are what I have in mind for the space crafts. 

edited September 2018

Land based facilities are restricted in size and architecture of vessel by mass and weight considerations unless you develope an anti-grav platform but that still needs to take into consideration, mass.
    The structural architecture of the vessel may simply not stand up to gravity considerations leaving all service work to space docks or planet based neutral, positive, negetive gravity wells (gravity elevators if you will).

In Star Trek (2009), young Kirk travels via motorcycle to a corn field in Iowa where the Enterprise 1701 is being constructed within earths gravitational domains.
    That was a big flaw in the production and no one has yet come up with a good explaination for it other than rush and budget considerations.

Watch a U-Tube some time on the constructon of aircraft carriers.
    Large elements of the ship hanging from less stable ones, All supported on reletively flimsey pylons etc.
    Even if you eliminate both mass and gravity from the equation, it still wouldn't ever be done that way primarilly because it simply isn't practical. Rain, snow, heat, wind etc.
    You might build portions of the ship (mods) planetside and then transport them into space for assembly but building the entire ship on the ground is impractical.
    The thing about space assembly is that you eliminate all incumbant issues in construction down to only mass.

In the Star Trek movie, Into Darkness, Mr Scott recons a Sect 31 space dock secreted near Saturn(?).
    Unlike all the other space docks we've seen previously, the "black opps" dock is completly enclosed. We don't get to see much of it but with a little imagination and a force field across the open hanger door, this system could contain a breathable atmosphere and at the same time be zero'G. Workers would require propulsion packs to move in the hanger but no pressure/envirnment suits would be necessary. Everything would float freely inside the hangers atmosphere.
    Picture Star Wars, Death Star hanger but without gravity. 

AIR? I don't understand that dimension?

4 Story Mechs:
    This is probebly what you would need to accomodate these vehicles.

These places obviously exist although secrecy is limited only to prelaunch access.
    You could concievably use a natural or man made cavern for these as well (see Pacific Rim)
    You can get unrestricted use pics for background use from the internet.

I'm curious...
    What are you working on if you don't mind sharing?

• I'm working on a mercenary story that takes place on in far away galaxies, on new planets and even back here on good ole Earth (well, what's left of it that is). 

As far as AIR goes - I was talking about floating (hovering) platforms that would exsist miles above the surface of the Earth (or whatever planet I decided to install it on). 

As far as land base facilities go - I could have an anti-gravity support system that cushioned the ship within the facility. (Think of how the ship hovered in the movie Independace Day).

edited September 2018

Part of my new Star Trek novel takes place on a Star Base orbiting an M Class planet.
    I'm considering this back drop for the graphic novel scene.

edited September 2018

Post edited by Chohole on
  •  

Turns out designing space faring vessels isn't as dificult as I had at first thought.

This is an early version of the Enterprise, NC-1701

This representation took all of about 45 minutes to create.

edited October 2018

Decided to attack this itch from a more detailed deck level.
    This is the Bridge level of an Akkyazi Class Star Ship.

For what it's worth, I've taken the contuation of my ship designs to another DAZ thread better suited to Star Trek style materials.
    That link is below.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3996826/#Comment_3996826

• The large class cruisers would be space dock repaired for practical purposes.
    To that end, you would need a bunch of EVO techs floating around the tendered vessel.

Smaller, fighter, transport class ships would be repaired in either a non pressure constructed facility (planet side or interior of the tender ship) or pressure constructed (on the exterior of the tender ship).

While you might not be saying anything (so far, at least) I don't already know, per se, your comments make this thread worth book-marking :)

In my Traveller game, the use of "yard-bugs", "repair-bugs", and "cargo-bugs" - little EVA pods that are technically short range space vehicles in their own right - is a fairly important part of any game session that involves repairs, bilding, or trans-shipping cargo.  Those designs would focus on tool-arms, manipulators, specialized sensors (for testing materials integrity, stress, and fatigue, etc.), and specialized cargo areas (suppose, for things you'd be out there welding a zillion of for example), and might make a foundation for a for-sale item...  You could easily ad a few yard structure elements to the kit, to make repair scenes to the sterior of ships easier.

Question is whether I'll get up to speed on modeling, rigging, and submitting things for sale before someone else does them. :)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

There are various hangar and dock facilities already available in the DAZ Store as well as Renderosity. If they are not what you desire then please be more specific regarding the style you are looking for.

• Im sure most people already know about the "available hangers" and such.

In my personal use, none that I've seen so far either meet my needs or require licensing for use.
    For me, I want something I own and never have to be concerned about being challenged on.
    To that end I either build my own or have a custome item or scene built for me by someone else whom I pay for the service and own all rights to the resulting product.

Katherine started this thread, I replied a couple times and she drifted away. It appears that she has found what she was looking for.

As a result of this thread, I have decided to incorporate some of the pictures above into some of my spacecraft after I have rendered them anyway.

• In my own opinion, I can't see minute repairs being done by anything less than a humanoid technician.

Small part manipulation would be a factor hat would rule out anything less than a hand being used.
    Small pods for the technician to use in traveling between hangers, docks and ports would make that more convenient and faster than a back pack and platforms (scaffolds if you will) would be used to give the technician either a magnetic or gravity based platform (based on tech lvl of scene) to stand and work on. That would aid him/her greatly in the mass and momentum problematics.

Perhaps even a coupling cowl that could be pulled over the work area similar to an enclosed, airline boarding ramp to allow an atmosphere or at least contain any loose, runaway parts.

Im sure most people already know about the "available hangers" and such.

In my personal use, none that I've seen so far either meet my needs or require licensing for use.

And that licence is already included in any product you purchase from the store here or on rendo - unless you want the model directly in a game. And neither you nor the thread starter have given any indication in that regard.

As for "not meeting your need" - we aren't mind readers. We can't guess WHAT disqualifies them unless you actually tell us.

For me, I want something I own and never have to be concerned about being challenged on.

So a product from the store or something made specifically and only for you. And once again, without telling what your particular requirements are the interpretations can range from Flah Gordon to 2001 to Battletech to Star Wars to Star Trek to The Expanse and further. Each and every one with their own particular style and looks incompatible with any of the others.

In my own opinion, I can't see minute repairs being done by anything less than a humanoid technician.

Are you kidding us? Even with current-time technology we already are beyond things that a human hand can manipulate directly and we use waldoes and micromanipulators.

Small part manipulation would be a factor hat would rule out anything less than a hand being used.

See my comment above. And in a picture you'll either have a close-up where the environment around it won't show up much or it will be so small that the details are lost. In both cases it is easier on you and your computer to only rough out the lesser-seen part and not put too much detail in it.

Small pods for the technician to use in traveling between hangers, docks and ports would make that more convenient and faster than a back pack and platforms (scaffolds if you will) would be used to give the technician either a magnetic or gravity based platform (based on tech lvl of scene) to stand and work on. That would aid him/her greatly in the mass and momentum problematics.

And? Scissor Lift, Industrial Clutter, Hover Platform, P.U.G., the various Tool collections, Robot Titan and really, half of Nightshift3D's store here are all perfectly suitable to fit out a spaceship workshop or repair point. And it might be no use at all if it doesn't fit visually.

Heck, going with Nightshift3D models alone - take the Dracon's Wake dropship, give with a different texture, fill it with the Rolling Ladder and the two G34rh34d products and you got a Breakdown Assistance Space Van.

Perhaps even a coupling cowl that could be pulled over the work area similar to an enclosed, airline boarding ramp to allow an atmosphere or at least contain any loose, runaway parts.

And again, this will vary from setting to setting - whether it is nothing more than a plastic bubble, a semi-rigid self-folding dome, a cylindrical module with a complete airlock and docking port or even the folded-out side of an autonomous vessel. Unless you define the specifics any of these will be a valid result and yet none of them may be what you are actually looking for.

• Holy Cow Asc. You really get into this.

• I'm still hunting for what I want. But, Nightshift does have a lot of good pieces that I can use. But I need to find wires and little parts to add to the scene. And I wouldn't mind an open engine compartment.
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    I'm still hunting for what I want. But, Nightshift does have a lot of good pieces that I can use. But I need to find wires and little parts to add to the scene. And I wouldn't mind an open engine compartment.

Look for something called greebles.  I believe there is a product here, and I'm sure you could find some elsewhere...like maybe at ShareCG.

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=greebles%20parts

Some of Nightshift's stuff has easypose hoses or cables that can be re-purposed easily.

Also this or this or just open Hexagon and do a few lines to turn into cables if needed.

• Here is a better idea of what I'm looking for as far as the mech buildings go.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Hangars:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-hangar

https://www.daz3d.com/mecha-hangar

https://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-hangar-19982

https://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-hanger-a

https://www.daz3d.com/gis-terminal

https://www.daz3d.com/mecha-bay

Possibly depending on what you choose you might be able to hide the floor & ceiling and stack smaller sets for increased height, or hide a wall and duplicate for extra depth, or both.

here's some additional cabling, also look carefully for cables that happen to be included within other products that you might be able to use:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-pod-the-umbilical

You forgot Level 19 on your list

Good call.  https://www.daz3d.com/level-19 .  There are also a number of smaller ones if you search the store for "hangar" that I didn't include since they looked a little small for what was wanted.  But that brings up another point, if you can find the interier equipment (scaffolding, vehicles, supervisor office windows, cranes, etc.) you could possible take something that's only one one two floors and make it look massive by hiding anything of recognizeable size and scattering your equipment througout.

More cabling can be extracted from here: https://www.daz3d.com/technophilia-volume-3-the-tank

edited October 2018

Hmm

• FYI:

This is the Level 19 scene you should have in your DAZ "Scenes" library.
    Loading this scene and then IMPORTING additional items such as Mechs, Lifts, Pallets etc, and you can get what you want without buying a scene or hiring someone to build on for you.

• This looks quite good.

space_warp_machine_day_by_2buiart-danppnu.jpg
    1212 x 659 - 183K

It looks good but that's a launch accelerator, not a service dock.

• This looks quite good.

That looks great. What was it made from?

• Ascania said:

It looks good but that's a launch accelerator, not a service dock.

I need one of those too!

This looks quite good.

That looks great. What was it made from?

Photoshop.