Holy Millenium COW, 8.5 content is BROKE. Help?

no_mstrno_mstr Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all! I am starting this as a new thread because I'm getting lost in some of the other threads related to messed up Carrara installs.

I upgraded to 8.5 solely for the purpose of testing out Genesis for a web series I'd like to get off the ground. Unfortunately I am having major content issues.

First, know that I am on OSX 10.8.4, and after the initial installation was wonky, I removed anything and everything Daz and did fresh installs from DIM. Here's where I'm at:

1.) Carrara's Content tab is missing all Genesis related items.

2.) Carrara's Smart Content tab is giving me this message: "The Connection to CMS Service cannot be established... blah blah blah"

3.) DS 4.6 seems to be working fine, EXCEPT the Smart Content tab is empty and doesn't seem to be working at all.

4.) I tried stopping CMS, clearing the CMS database, restarting it and re-importing all metadata. No dice.

5.) Carrara Native content is also missing. I'm not as concerned about this because most of the built in stuff isn't very useful anyway, but it would be nice to have it there just in case.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited August 2013

I had this problem with beta after buying something recently. But I seemed to have solved it by lucky guesswork and fiddling about.

Look at Dartanbeck's comment...maybe that will apply to your situation?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27684/

Good luck!

SileneUK

ETA

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/finding_loading_and_organizing_content/tutorials/smart_content/start

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited August 2013

Since you invoked the name of The Millennium Cow, I'll try to help.

5.) Carrara Native content is also missing. I'm not as concerned about this because most of the built in stuff isn't very useful anyway, but it would be nice to have it there just in case.

Isn't the content a separate installer? It wont be there unless installed.

As for the rest...

Nobody likes my answer to all problems Mac related, but here it is anyhow (STOP reading now if you are too attached to mac and their ways!!) Just grab a copy of OSX 10.5 and go with that. It was the last version on which Everything "Just Worked" - all their improvements since then have broken many software developers programs and, well...

Hey - it's the best answer I got!

Sorry.

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Sockratease, I am on Windows and it happened to me! :( Silene

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915
    edited December 1969

As for the rest...

Nobody likes my answer to all problems Mac related, but here it is anyhow (STOP reading now if you are too attached to mac and their ways!!) Just grab a copy of OSX 10.5 and go with that. It was the last version on which Everything "Just Worked" - all their improvements since then have broken many software developers programs and, well...

Sorry.

We knew you would see the title and jump on it.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

As for the rest...

Sorry.

Heh! My main rig is still running OS X 10.4.11. I have 10.5 installed to another partition and my recovery disk, but haven't had the need to switch all the other stuff over.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,853
    edited August 2013

edit:
    What install path did you have in dim?

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Just grab a copy of OSX 10.5 and go with that.

Allmost right, 10.6 was the last working OS from Apple.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Sockratease, I am on Windows and it happened to me! :( Silene

Ah.

Well...

MOO!

I mean...

Since I don't use smart content, Genocide, and try to never use any of the human figures unless absolutely necessary (and then I prefer Gen 3 figures because they were the last true "stand alone" figures from DAZ) I guess I never ran into any of these issues.

But the content should be an easy fix. If you installed it, just manually load the folder to the browser. I always pointed any new version of Carrara to my old content folders except for that one time the upgraded the included content.

edited December 1969

OK, was allraedy about to trash and reinstall Carrara on my test rig, so I did.

Installing the Carrara 8 Content via DIM doesn't seems to work 100% (dor example wizards for shaders doesn't work)
    Installing the Carrara 8.0.0.4 Content via the old bitrock installer did the trick.

I guess something is not 100% correct with the 8.0 Content installer.

• no_mstrno_mstr Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses. Based on some of what was said here and additional reading I figured out the Genesis content problem. It would seem that the "Auto Detect Runtimes" button only adds Poser content. I added my own content folder and all of the Genesis stuff showed up. I only have two of the issues remaining:

1.) Native content is not showing up. I did indeed install the "Carrara 8 Native Content" from DIM, but it still doesn't show up in Carrara. See the attached image for what my directory looks like. Per someone else's comment, I tried copying the folders (data, Presets, Runtime and Scenes) into the actual Carrara package, but that didn't work either. Where is this stuff supposed to reside in order to be recognized by Carrara?

2.) The Smart Content tabs are still not working in either Carrara or DS 4.6. I try adding Genesis to the scene, selecting the figure, and still nothing shows up. In the case of Carrara, the tab still says it can't connect to CMS. I did check, and the CMS service is indeed running in OSX.

I know the popular answer is "don't use OSX 10.8" but I have to tell you, I do motion graphics and 3D animation for a living and never have ANY significant issues running this OS. C4D is super stable and the preset system works flawlessly, and Adobe CC is solid as a rock as well. However, I'm not mad that there are some bugs in Carrara. I know the development team at Daz is tiny compared to Maxon and Adobe, and I expect issues to pop up now and again... I just wanted to point out that in my experience, putting my Mac Pro through animation and render hell almost daily, I can't recall having any issues with 10.8 at all.

Native-Content.jpg
    722 x 225 - 48K
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

It has to go inside the Carrara app package on OSX.

edited December 1969

Right-click on the Carrara app, choose "Show Package Contents" and find those folders within the program.

DAZ doesn't seem to be particularly Apple-literate about these things, and I don't think DIM understands or is able to do that part; it couldn't in beta, and I've never wanted to trust it since, either. I do it manually.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Carlton. Unfortunately I tried that method and it doesn't seem to work here. I tried dropping those folders into the root of the package contents, and when that didn't work I moved them into the "Contents" subfolder. Still no dice. Where exactly did you place them?

edited August 2013

Contents/MacOS/

And in that folder there are already some folders named Data, Extensions, etc. Merge the files in your previously-external folders into those already-existing folders. (There are subfolders within those, too, actually, so — Data has Leaves, for instance, etc.)

Sorry. I haven't had to think about how to describe it for a while.

x.jpg
    435 x 856 - 61K
    Post edited by CarltonMartin on
    edited December 1969

Great! Thank you Carlton! That did the trick.

Ok, last problem is the Smart Content tab which I can live without for now.