off topic thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

Ringo!!!

I'm using a home-built Ryzen 7 eight-core with 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD (M2.2) and a 6GB GTX 1660, which is a lowly card for DS, but using OctaneRender, I can get along okay.

In Carrara, the Ryzen's 16 thread tear apart my renders like a breeze!

edited May 2021

Yesteryear's tech is all I can ever afford. Luckily this particular build rocks Carrara

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited May 2021

ringo monfort said:

What new PCs are you using for rendering now?

Hello, Ringo, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900,  3.1 GhZ Base, 12 Core 24 Threads, 32GB RAM, Two 2 TB SD Drives, 2060 GTX video, Win Pro 10

Nice to see Carrara have all those 24 render boxes going, but it doesn't get anywhere near 100% CPU, maybe half ... still get around 5 sec per 1280x720 frame with standard lighting.

VUE OTOH hits 100% and makes rendering of animations much more feasible, altho I did have to upgrade to the subscription version.

Post edited by Steve K on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

CORES!!

i'm currently rendering a frame an hour.  lol

oh dear.JPG
    1107 x 490 - 103K

Mystiarra said:

CORES!!

i'm currently rendering a frame an hour.  lol

You should probably not enter the 48 Hour Film Contest (a five minute video in two days)

wink

lol

i was thinkin.  instead of 1 threadripper, might be more productive to have 2 8-core machines running.
    cant afford 2 thread rippers.

i noticed the animation is 'filling the grid' at every frame.  not sure that part of it uses all cores? or the light sampling.

2 days, done 37 frames   

think i'm gonna haz to prune the garden

i pushed the render settings, dying to see if i beat the twinklies

if i break it into batches and render 10 hours a night, it'll be done in like 30 days. laugh

Mystiarra said:

if i break it into batches and render 10 hours a night, it'll be done in like 30 days. laugh

Have you considered just drawing it by hand?  cheeky

not sure that would be faster, lol

frame 46.  now averaging 48 minutes per frame.

its nice carrara tells us these stats.

my g8m needs a couple of glute dimples.  love glute dimples.  lol

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I am way behind in this thread.

## !! @Mystiarra - yay, I see that you are now fully vaccinated.  Woohoo, party in the Wendy's baked potato drive through!

Ringo!!!! - hope you are well.  I am on windows and my new-ish computer is ripping through Carrara calculations and renders.  Carrara features like the NPR renderer and the soft body physics that were too calculation intensive for my previous machine seem almost practical now.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Do subjects in the super top category of the Carrara Forum drop out randomly?

Sorry, I feel like the list has shrunk...I feel like Shader Q's and Animation Q's - the Come One Come All threads got demoted...

Is there a Rendering Thread - Come One Come All?

DesertDude said:

Do subjects in the super top category of the Carrara Forum drop out randomly?

Sorry, I feel like the list has shrunk...I feel like Shader Q's and Animation Q's - the Come One Come All threads got demoted...

Is there a Rendering Thread - Come One Come All?

the 119 update thread is still there.  lol

edited May 2021

Mystiarra said:

not sure that would be faster, lol

frame 46.  now averaging 48 minutes per frame.

its nice carrara tells us these stats.

First, sorry if a simlilar comment from me randomly appears...I made a comment and I think it went into the internet void...if it rematerializes it may be a triple post, sorry.

Meanwhile, I said something to the effect of, please, please tell us you are saving to individual frames, so if you interrupt your rendering you can at least look at what has been rendered, and if it looks good, continue!
    Also, if you are rendering to individual frames, you should be able to 'sneak peek' your animation without interrupting Carrara because...the frames are just individual images, open up the image sequence in your post app of choice.

If it is still flickering, we can continue to diagnose. Cheers

Post edited by DesertDude on

zomg  been carraring 8 years now. 
    and still, i  hit the 0 to zoom or wheel mouse scroll the camera,
    meanwhile, cursor is in a numeric parameter box.

Mystiarra said:

Oh no, Oh, Oh no, don't get me started on 'highlighted value' in a box and then going about my busniess with keyboard shortcuts, lol, lol , lol

It gets me every time, no matter my awareness, every Carrara sesion I'll get a computer "boomp" sound +  Carrara telling me I put in an invalid value, like a bunch a qqqqqqqqqq's, lol, lol.

DesertDude said:

Mystiarra said:

Oh no, Oh, Oh no, don't get me started on 'highlighted value' in a box and then going about my busniess with keyboard shortcuts, lol, lol , lol

It gets me every time, no matter my awareness, every Carrara sesion I'll get a computer "boomp" sound +  Carrara telling me I put in an invalid value, like a bunch a qqqqqqqqqq's, lol, lol.

the boop, value must between so and so. 0 not valid.

and i still forget to chnage the rendering camera when i hop to the render room. 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Mystiarra said:

i cant find 1 single youtube tutorial on carrara weightmapping

Here is one of the series on character creation:

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2021

Vyusur said:

Mystiarra said:

Thanks for that. I like rigging tuts. A shame you cannot watch the first one of the videos because the figure is naked and you have to prove age and it can take 3 days. What the heck is with that?  I can watch #2.!

sad  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

SileneUK said:

Vyusur said:

Mystiarra said:

Thanks for that. I like rigging tuts. A shame you cannot watch the first one of the videos because the figure is naked and you have to prove age and it can take 3 days. What the heck is with that?  I can watch #2.!

sad  Silene

I'm able to watch the first part freely. Maybe you have to login?

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2021

Interesting... I am logged in. And it happens when I am on his YT channel or here. I can see the others OK.  Maybe it's a UK thing?  surprise  Silene

Screenshot 2021-05-25 20.52.18.png
    720 x 407 - 26K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited May 2021

Mystiara said:

i noticed the animation is 'filling the grid' at every frame.  not sure that part of it uses all cores? or the light sampling.

Carrara is actually one of the easier apps for fixing these issues through things like fake GI instead of actual GI?Indirect lighting, etc.,

Optimizing is essential no matter how massive a PC - although threadrippers might argue that!

For almost everything I do for animations, my camera doesn't get close enough to need 4k (or even 2K) texture maps, so I use the Batch Resize feature of Irfanview to reduce all of my texture maps that I'm going to use. It might seem tedious, but nowhere near as tedious as waiting an hour for one frame. 

When I made Just a Bit of Fun (very new to Carrara) I was already getting frames rendered in roughly one or two minutes using a dual core laptop with 2GB RAM.

Remember - This is CG - we don't need 'real-world' tactics to light our scenes. Simple is often better. Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn was a real eye-opener, but I didn't get that until much later.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Example:

The simple lighting used in this scene (at 30 seconds into the video) doesn't come from where the glowy bits say that light should be emitted - they're glowing already, so that helps us 'believe' that the light is coming from there anyway. 

30 seconds into the video you can see a real-time recording of my Ryzen rendering a rather large interior scene with glows, reflections, transparencies and nine Lorenzo and Lorettas!

My dual core wouldn't have been nearly this fast, but it wouldn't take an hour!

This one helps to illustrate how I light my scenes easily to render really freaking fast

evaluating my scene inventory, if my movie is crappe, its not for lack of content.  lol plenty of kitbashing things.

want to keep working all night but my eyelids are crashing.

my concep for a medusa lair might be too elaborate for my skill level.

starting with the cave restaurant.  lol.

cant really have a medusa without a kracken, they're both titans.

i dont know what i'd be doing right now if i wasnt playing with carrara.

bored outta my mind prolly.

Mystiara said:

bored outta my mind prolly.

I watch NetFlix, most recently "Behind Her Eyes"  a thriller with some wild twists.  8/10.  And a while back, "Ozark", pretty good crime drama, 9/10.  And way back, even better: "Halt And Catch Fire", "Orphan Black", "Fargo" (TV Series), ...

Steve K said:

Mystiara said:

bored outta my mind prolly.i'm watching Scorpion King

I watch NetFlix, most recently "Behind Her Eyes"  a thriller with some wild twists.  8/10.  And a while back, "Ozark", pretty good crime drama, 9/10.  And way back, even better: "Halt And Catch Fire", "Orphan Black", "Fargo" (TV Series), ...

i;m watching Scorpion King again.  havent tried netflix yet.  think they haz the witcher3 series 

Steve K said:

ringo monfort said:

What new PCs are you using for rendering now?

Hello, Ringo, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900,  3.1 GhZ Base, 12 Core 24 Threads, 32GB RAM, Two 2 TB SD Drives, 2060 GTX video, Win Pro 10

Nice to see Carrara have all those 24 render boxes going, but it doesn't get anywhere near 100% CPU, maybe half ... still get around 5 sec per 1280x720 frame with standard lighting.

VUE OTOH hits 100% and makes rendering of animations much more feasible, altho I did have to upgrade to the subscription version.

I stand corrected.  I'm doing some renders with a Howie Farkes landscape (highly detailed plants) and Carrara is hitting 100% CPU. Still takes 6 min/frame (1280x720), but I'm not planning Carrara animation, just a still frame for Particle Illusion animation overlay.  I dunno why it hits 100% here and not on other scenes ... must have a "Howie" subroutine that kicks in overdrive ... 

omg was goin crazy with the global shader.  theres a button right there, apply to children,
    i feel like such an idiot, been there this whole time, hasnt it

This discussion has been closed.