Sky Scenes vers the Scenes Wizard

NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I noticed in the scene part of C8.5 pro we have quite a few more sky's than are available within the scene Wizard the only problem is if you load one of them in they load in a small scene.

First question. is there anyway for me to save these extra sky's so that they show up in the scene wizard and I can use them in any scene.

Second question. If A scene loads in small is there any way to make it medium or large.

Comments

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    I noticed in the scene part of C8.5 pro we have quite a few more sky's than are available within the scene Wizard the only problem is if you load one of them in they load in a small scene.

First question. is there anyway for me to save these extra sky's so that they show up in the scene wizard and I can use them in any scene.

Second question. If A scene loads in small is there any way to make it medium or large.

Just a reminder here.

There are two types of skies in Carrara. The older version that is just call "sky" and the newer version that is all "Realistic Sky" You cannot convert older scenes that have the "sky" set to the the newer "Realistic Sky"

Regards

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

You can change the scene scale at any time you wish. Click on Scene in the Instances palette and then at the top of the screen, you should see an Interface tab. Select it and you can then change the scene magnitude using the pulldown menu.

I use version 7.2, so it's possible the interface may be a bit different if you use a later version of Carrara.

Picture_1.png
    254 x 708 - 54K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

Skies can be added to any scene, of any scale. They are, or should be, in the Browser Tray, on the Misc. Tab. If you select the scene line on the Instance tab, you can drag and drop right into the atmosphere line of the Effects tab.

You can also use the presets button on the atmosphere line of the effects tab and add it that way.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

You can change the scene scale at any time you wish. Click on Scene in the Instances palette and then at the top of the screen, you should see an Interface tab. Select it and you can then change the scene magnitude using the pulldown menu.

I use version 7.2, so it's possible the interface may be a bit different if you use a later version of Carrara.

I tried that it seams to be broken In 8 and 8.5

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:

Skies can be added to any scene, of any scale. They are, or should be, in the Browser Tray, on the Misc. Tab. If you select the scene line on the Instance tab, you can drag and drop right into the atmosphere line of the Effects tab.

You can also use the presets button on the atmosphere line of the effects tab and add it that way.

I know that, but there are extra ones in scene's tab that are not in the misc tab or in the preset button those are the ones I am talking about.

edited August 2013

NeilV 1 said:

I tried that it seams to be broken In 8 and 8.5

Can you describe how it's broken? I tried the 8.0 beta way back, and it seemed to work.

Changing the scene's magnitude really just changes the way the cameras move and how big the scale on inserted items like lights and cameras and such are. It won't rescale the scenes working grid, and it won't scale down (or up) objects. So if you import an object with a scale of 6 ft into a small scene it will look gigantic in relation to the working grid, but it will still be 6 ft. If you change the scene's magnitude to medium the camera movements will adjust to the larger scene, but the working grid will stay the same until you change it.

To change the working grid size (in C7), go under the View menu-->Grid. A small window will open with values you can enter to for the working grid. Since you started with a small scene (assuming US measurements) the values will be in inches. Just type, "ft" in place of "in" and click Okay.

As Spooky mentioned, atmospheres aren't affected by magnitude. It's really just an arbitrary setting to help the user work on differently scaled things. You wouldn't want to build a wristwatch in a scene where feet are the default measurements, just as you wouldn't want to design a terrain where inches are the default.

If it displays in the correct order, the first image shows the skeletonloaded into a small scene with the default light. I had changed the magnitude to medium, and then inserted a spotlight. Notice the size difference.

The next image should show the settings for the grid where I changed, "in" to "ft."

The final image shows the effect after clicking Okay.

Picture_3.png
    654 x 599 - 95K
    Picture_2.png
    611 x 585 - 122K
    Picture_1.png
    987 x 759 - 182K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    NeilV 1 said:

I know that, but there are extra ones in scene's tab that are not in the misc tab or in the preset button those are the ones I am talking about.

Just follow the steps I listed in my previous posts to change the magnitude and the working grid size if they load in small. Or, you could go to the Scene's Effects tab and under atmosphere, choose to save the component.

edited December 1969

cheers evilproducer I will have a play with that.

edited August 2013

Geez! I forgot to upload a screen shot of the window where you set the grid size! D'oh!

I should mention that it was 3dage (Andy) that I learned that from, and embarrassingly for me it wasn't that long ago (relatively speaking). So, if you're out there Andy, thank you and come back soon!

Picture_1.png
    233 x 263 - 15K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Be sure you click the "Change" button...more than once I've chosen a new scene size from the menu and forgotten to "Change" the setting. Some days I'm less, well, apt than others.

edited December 1969

Be sure you click the "Change" button...more than once I've chosen a new scene size from the menu and forgotten to "Change" the setting. Some days I'm less, well, apt than others.

I feel your pain!

edited December 1969

Thanks for that I need to play some more to work out how to make sure that the ground level is where the bottom grid is as at the moment mine is floating in the middle. But I takie it that just a case of playing with the centre point for one of the settings .(pos Y -15 ft) . ( you really would not believe I have had Carrara since C5)

3dage is not as available as he once was otherwise I would be bugging him on this.