AWE Shading Kit for DAZ Studio and 3delight

Comments

• Can't get this to work at all, I'm using V4, render time is forever long. Also was told never to use progressive rendering Bec it crashes Daz studio.
  • Can't get this to work at all, I'm using V4, render time is forever long. Also was told never to use progressive rendering Bec it crashes Daz studio.

I found renders ocassionally get stuck with Awe and scripted rendering if you leave it on non-progressive...

Never seen Progressive rendering crash Studio, I use Progressive nearly all the time, 3Delight or scripted 3Delight.

Is it possible the advice given to you was from years ago when Progressive was first introduced?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

AweSurface is NOT to be used with the standard 3DL renderer, it is utilizing the built in pathtracer modul accessable through scripts. Progressive mode works (kind of) because it taps in to the pathtracer, but is meant for fast pteviewing, and does not produce the highest quality, kind of like IRay interactive mode.

And, generally, if one needs help, one needs to be a little more informative...

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Just to let everyone know. The updated AWE Shading Kit is available on my Google drive. Check the AWE Surface thread for a link.

It's fully free for both personal/non commercial and commercial use.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Thank you. So you pulled it from the store I take it?  I saw it over in the Free section at 'Rosity! 

• How can I use 3Delight shaders with awe, is there a script for that?

durder33 said:

How can I use 3Delight shaders with awe, is there a script for that?

Short answer...you can't;) That's what the awe shading kit is... a set of physically plausible shaders that can utilize the 3DL pathtracer. The included scripts apply aweSurface (or the PT area light shader or the environmental shader) presets to surfaces.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Moving this to DS discussion forum as it is no longer Commercial

durder33 said:

How can I use 3Delight shaders with awe, is there a script for that?

Short answer...you can't;) That's what the awe shading kit is... a set of physically plausible shaders that can utilize the 3DL pathtracer. The included scripts apply aweSurface (or the PT area light shader or the environmental shader) presets to surfaces.

Slight correction. While AWE Area PT light shader won't work with DS 3delight lights (and shaders), AWE Surface will work with all 3delight lights.

The catch is that it's not optimal when global illumination is used. Using point/spot/distant light will add to your render time.

As for scripted rendering, this is a necessary workaround because DAZ Studio do not properly pass the necessary parameter to the renderer to enable irradiance caching. This feature speeds up global illumination significantly. Myself and others have requested and posted bug reports/feature request for this to be enabled since DS 4.6, but so far those tickets are still open.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Hi there wowie,

Thanks for continuing to support and offer your tools for us (for free), even though they're no longer in the DAZ store. I purchased your tools and wondered if there is a 'donate' button or mechanism anywhere to thank you a bit for your continued generous efforts.

--ms

mindsong said:

Hi there wowie,

Thanks for continuing to support and offer your tools for us (for free), even though they're no longer in the DAZ store. I purchased your tools and wondered if there is a 'donate' button or mechanism anywhere to thank you a bit for your continued generous efforts.

--ms

Thank you.

I'm setting up some stuff now so stay tuned.

• Hi. How can I get rid of green-gray occlusion in skin tone, when using AWE surface?

test.png
    800 x 800 - 230K
  • pavsikakyjpavsikakyj Posts: 139
    edited November 2020

By the way. When I use AWE distant light with Ubershader or PWtoon it works fine and shows awesome speed. With other lights those shaders don't work.

test2.png
    800 x 800 - 231K
    test3.png
    800 x 800 - 227K
    Post edited by pavsikakyj on
    edited November 2020

Hi. How can I get rid of green-gray occlusion in skin tone, when using AWE surface?

Hi! Frankly not sure I can see the isssue. To change the look of the skin, especially where not directly lit, you'd want to edit the SS settings. Try experimenting with SS absorption color and different saturations. Also, depending on the skin diffuse texture, try adjusting the "use diffuse with SS" value.

Are you using the latest awe build? For your information, (and others), wowie has now (16.11.2020) updated the documentation (awe shading kit- and aweSurface userguides) and it can be downloaded here.

If you have more questions, please visit the awe thread in the arts forums section.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,694

Excuse me, i've searched this product in the Store, but can't find it.

edited January 2021

Crios said:

Excuse me, i've searched this product in the Store, but can't find it.

Wowie pulled it from the store, giving it away for free. New update in the pipeline, btw. 

wowie's free stuff, the zips are DIM compatible.

edited April 2022

Uploaded a new build on my Google drive (plus the usual other sites). AWE Hair have also been updated and I think I can finally say it's going to be the final version.

Post edited by wowie on

...and a Magnificent Job you did for the 3DL community, can't thank you enoughyes

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Sven Dullah said:

...and a Magnificent Job you did for the 3DL community, can't thank you enoughyes

agreed - this is, and has been, an incredible resource and clearly a generous sharing of a huge amount of your energy. I can only hope you enjoyed the puzzle aspect of it as much as we enjoyed the results.

best to you in all of your future 'puzzles' :)

cheers,

--ms

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited April 2022

...just downloaded the latest upates. Thank you. 

Can't wait until I finish the upgrade later this year as I'm moving from an old 6 core 2.8 GHz Xeon to a 12 core Ryzen 5900X, mmm...24 fast threads for rendering.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

...just downloaded the latest upates. Thank you. 

Can't wait until I finish the upgrade later this year as I'm moving from an old 6 core 2.8 GHz Xeon to a 12 core Ryzen 5900X, mmm...24 fast threads for rendering.

Interesting! I'm upgrading my stuff now, possibly going for a Mac 12 core IntelXeon, would be cool to make a benchmark scene;) 

edited May 2022

..hm, I think this testrender deserves to be reposted here, not because it's Great Art, it illustrates the noise levels when using just two emissive planes placed outside the windows as light sources, and default Irradiance samples..personally I'm blown out..(raw render using built into AWE Unreal tonemapping)

...and another quick one with only ceiling emitters at diffuse depth 2 specular depth 1, default rendersettings (8x8 PS)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited May 2022

@wowie @Sven Is there any reason one would use iray vs awe ?

I mean apart gpu rendering. If awe can do the same as the iray uber shader then 3delight may be even better than iray since 3delight supports micro displacement and mipmaps and motion blur that iray doesn't. This is not to criticize anything I'm genuinely curious since I know very little of awe and I'm wondering if it may be a valid modern solution that could compare to iray and cycles for example.

How is 3delight + awe with caustics ?

p.s. I know there's tons of docs about this, indeed it is because there's tons of docs that I'm looking for a more simple and quick answer. That may also be useful to anyone interested.

p.p.s. Just scrubbled a bit in the docs. Am I correct that there's no volume support ? How does awe with volumetric lights and objects ? edit. I now see there's the uber volume that I guess can work together with awe ?

Post edited by Padone on
    edited May 2022

@Padone, well to begin with, some quick thoughts...

I guess what wowie (and mustakettu85) did was unleash the powers of the built into 3DL pathtracer that was there from the start but hidden to the end users. So yeah it's old tech in a way. DAZ apparently won't upgrade 3DL so you would have to leave the DS echo system (Houdini, Maya, C4D etc.) to be able to utilize the modern USD/OSL compatible 3Delight13. 

When it comes to CPU rendering, I think awe has far less problems pathtracing dark/enclosed scenes!? I've seen wowie mention awe beeing 4x faster than IRay, but that was with some previous awe build and I can't confirm anything, still exploring his new build...

Yeah, displacement, built in MB etc. are valid points, also how 3DL handles heavy scenes quite easily without the need of extensive RAM.

IRay has the upper hand when it comes to caustics. 3DL supports caustics but I think wowie chose to simplify things thus keeping rendertimes reasonable? Anyway, what you see in my above renders are simply highlights and transmission (colored) shadows from that wine glass. Testing continues;) 

3DL supports volume. Wowies SSS is a  true volumetric effect. Omnifreaker's UberVolume is volumetric but can't be used with the pathtracer, unfortunately, along with simple fog cameras and so on. So, AFAIK, it's just a matter of asking wowie to make a proper aweVolume shaderdevil

When I need volumetric light effects I first render the scene, then convert back the lot to DS default shader and render out a fog/depth pass in black&white. A bit tedious but the additional passes render out in seconds.

These were made with a previous build, don't recall which.

original

depth pass

combined

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited May 2022

Thank you @Sven for the detailed walkthrough. Those are the answers I was looking for so to compare the iray vs awe pros and cons.

Post edited by Padone on

Padone said:

@wowie @Sven Is there any reason one would use iray vs awe ?

I mean apart gpu rendering. If awe can do the same as the iray uber shader then 3delight may be even better than iray since 3delight supports micro displacement and mipmaps and motion blur that iray doesn't. This is not to criticize anything I'm genuinely curious since I know very little of awe and I'm wondering if it may be a valid modern solution that could compare to iray and cycles for example.

How is 3delight + awe with caustics ?

p.s. I know there's tons of docs about this, indeed it is because there's tons of docs that I'm looking for a more simple and quick answer. That may also be useful to anyone interested.

p.p.s. Just scrubbled a bit in the docs. Am I correct that there's no volume support ? How does awe with volumetric lights and objects ? edit. I now see there's the uber volume that I guess can work together with awe ?

I've sent you a PM of my rather long answer. laugh

Sven Dullah said:

When I need volumetric light effects I first render the scene, then convert back the lot to DS default shader and render out a fog/depth pass in black&white. A bit tedious but the additional passes render out in seconds.

original

depth pass

combined

Technically, the resulting depth info is already an output of the shader. So, are you just multiplying the render with the depth info?

edited May 2022

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

combined

Technically, the resulting depth info is already an output of the shader. So, are you just multiplying the render with the depth info?

The sunlight in the original is one of your emitters with a pivot parented  to the environment.  For the DP I used an AoA EZ cam and narrow spotlight placed inside the HDRI hotspot and the pivot rotation values copied. In GIMP I used the result as a screen overlay IIRC. Adjusted curves for a less linear falloff. I have a version re-rendered with your new build (but cheated by using the original DP): 

edited May 2022

Sven Dullah said:

The sunlight in the original is one of your emitters with a pivot parented  to the environment.  For the DP I used an AoA EZ cam and narrow spotlight placed inside the HDRI hotspot and the pivot rotation values copied. In GIMP I used the result as a screen overlay IIRC. Adjusted curves for a less linear falloff. I have a version re-rendered with your new build (but cheated by using the original DP):

I'm more interested in what operation you did in Photoshop (or similar app). So, it is just a plain multiply by layer of the render with the depth pass?

Edit:

Test tweakable output. I can probably will be tweaking this more depending on how much the surface is receiving light, facing upwards etc. Or more stylistic options like colors/blend of colors.

B1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 105K
    B2.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 114K
    B3.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 121K
    B4.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 118K
    Post edited by wowie on

wowie said:

Sven Dullah said:

I'm more interested in what operation you did in Photoshop (or similar app). So, it is just a plain multiply by layer of the render with the depth pass?

Edit:

Test tweakable output. I can probably will be tweaking this more depending on how much the surface is receiving light, facing upwards etc. Or more stylistic options like colors/blend of colors.

Yeah basically! Hm, just realised I'm holding my breath right now:))

You're thinking simple fog I guess, not true volumetrics?