Help sell me on Carrara...

2»

Comments

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    I've tried that to do the flutes on a conveyor screw, but was not happy with the results.
    ncamp

I have been searching the old forum. I see you posted similar to that back in july-2010 (is it the same screw?).

Rachel_3D was very generous and posted a formula for helix construction for you:-

(use on a formula object)

a=1;
    c=-1;
    r=4;
    p=6*PI*(u-0.5);
    q=r*v;
    x=a*q*cos(p);
    y=q*sin(p);
    z=a*(p-c*sqrt(rq*r*q));

Going through that old thread, there was quite an heated discussion of a comparison between Hexagon and Carrara7 modeling capabilities.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that formula. Probably the same screw I was thinking about, but not the one I experimented with today.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    The twist modifier is a assembly room option, not a modeling room option.You can use the "bend and twist" modifier in the modeling(vertex) room via the "Model-> Deform"

Probably the same screw I was thinking about, but not the one I experimented with today.

Do you have a pic of what you are attempting? Maybe I can help?

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    The twist modifier is a assembly room option, not a modeling room option.
    You can use the "bend and twist" modifier in the modeling(vertex) room via the "Model-> Deform"

I did not know you could use that in the modeling room. Thank you very much.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited August 2013

ncamp said:
    I did not know you could use that in the modeling room. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome.

I did a search for a "conveyor screw" (not sure if it is the correct one I found/used for this) and made a quick example in Carrara vertex room:-
    (I did not finish the ends)

01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    03.jpg
    531 x 631 - 78K
    02.jpg
    149 x 538 - 26K
    Post edited by stem_athome on