Download Manager - I cannot select directories

ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am trying to install the native content, but there is never an option to actually trigger the choice of directory, which is the same one c8.5 is located. Is there a step-by-step tutorial on installing the huge amount of stuff included in the Pro Bundle? I already have Genesis installed in a Studio version. Do I need to delete it, or keep it? I am totally confused and could use some help. I have been using Carrara for years, but suddenly I feel like a total newbie.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    I am trying to install the native content, but there is never an option to actually trigger the choice of directory, which is the same one c8.5 is located. Is there a step-by-step tutorial on installing the huge amount of stuff included in the Pro Bundle? I already have Genesis installed in a Studio version. Do I need to delete it, or keep it?
    No!
    All Genesis related content needs to go to the place where Carrara knows to look for it - and 'that's' where it looks.

Open DIM and log in to your account

Click on the gear shaped icon in the upper right corner

Go to the "Applications" tab and make sure that you only have one Carrara installation location (heh - I rhymed!!!)

There must be only one! ;)

Okay... that done, DIM will automatically know that 'Carrara' content goes there :)

Just let DIM install it and away you go :)

If you're not using DIM:

Copy all files for Carrara Native Content directly into the Carrara directory, and all Genesis products to where you have been installing that stuff.

Please...
    Don't worry. Headache now...perhaps.
    But the future shall make this all second nature! ;)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Go to the "Applications" tab and make sure that you only have one Carrara installation location (heh - I rhymed!!!)

If you have multiple places where Carrara is it will install to each Carrara directory. This is correct behavior and intended because Carrara Native Content has to be in the Application folder for it to work correctly. Now if you are only going to use one version of Carrara this is good advice, but if you have multiple copies, for some reason, then they each need to be in Install Manager.
    edited December 1969

If you have multiple places where Carrara is it will install to each Carrara directory. This is correct behavior and intended because Carrara Native Content has to be in the Application folder for it to work correctly. Now if you are only going to use one version of Carrara this is good advice, but if you have multiple copies, for some reason, then they each need to be in Install Manager. Thank you... very good to know. I'll include that in my wrap up - I'm doing a simple DIM video tutorial as we speak ;)
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited August 2013

Except for Mac OSX. Much of the native content has to be installed within the C8.5 app package, which is not the same thing as the application folder.

x.jpg
    294 x 988 - 66K
    Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Except for Mac OSX. Much of the native content has to be installed within the C8.5 app package, which is not the same thing as the application folder.

Everyone listen to CarltonMartin! The Windows procedure for installing the native content files does not work for the Macintosh version! They must be manually installed into the Carrara.app package.

Anyone making installation tutorials needs to be aware of this, and describe both Mac and Windows procedures.

edited December 1969

And in fact, it's ALL Carrara Native Content. It's been so long I had to retry it to be sure; but the C8 and the C8.5 Native Content all need to be copied/merged into the Carrara 8.5 app package on Mac OSX.

It's simple to do manually; right-click (or control-click) on the program icon and choose "Show Package Contents" which will open a new window, open the "Contents" folder revealed there, then the "MacOS" - you'll be creating/copying into a Presets and Scenes folder within that MacOS folder, and plugins that you have will go into the Extensions folder found there.

edited December 1969

Correct. That is a bug on the Mac we are currently working on.

edited August 2013

Bug? OK, but that's the way it's always been with Carrara, back to at least version 4 in my own experience.

There's another Mac problem, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to report it through Zen Desk: Mimic Pro for Carrara 8.5, Mac, unpacks to a Bitrock installer that reads C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.176_Mac64.app and proclaims it has to be installed to the Carrara 8 directory.

[edit] The plugin installs if you point it to the 8.5 folder contrary to its demand, but I haven't actually tested Mimic, however.

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
    edited December 1969

Bug? OK, but that's the way it's always been with Carrara, back to at least version 4 in my own experience.

There's another Mac problem, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to report it through Zen Desk: Mimic Pro for Carrara 8.5, Mac, unpacks to a Bitrock installer that reads C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.176_Mac64.app and proclaims it has to be installed to the Carrara 8 directory.

[edit] The plugin installs if you point it to the 8.5 folder contrary to its demand, but I haven't actually tested Mimic, however.

The bug is things are getting installed outside the .APP.

The version of Mimic is different between the 8.5 version and the 8.0 version. Make sure yo used the correct one.

edited December 1969

The bug is things are getting installed outside the .APP.

The version of Mimic is different between the 8.5 version and the 8.0 version. Make sure yo used the correct one.

Again: The file in my account reads "Mimic Pro for Carrara 8.5 (Mac 64-bit)" - The zipped manual install file (the only one available) is named "C85_MimicPro_2.0.8.176_Mac64.zip"

It unzips to a Bitrock installer that reads "C8_MimicPro_2.0.8.176_Mac64.app" which tells me I am forced to use "/Applications/DAZ 3D/Carrara8" -

So either the file zipped in the Mimic Pro for Carrara 8.5 (Mac 64-Bit) in my account is the wrong version, or there's something wrong in the installer.

ex2.jpg
    374 x 90 - 12K
    ex.jpg
    662 x 389 - 65K
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

I hope all of these new installation rules and procedures are soon thoroughly documented. I have been using Poser since P3 and Carrara since C3 and never had any major difficulties installing the software or content. Now I can only hope I am doing things correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled all of my Carrara and Studio content. It seems to be working, so far.

edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    It seems to be working, so far.
    Awesome.
    Sorry I've been so absent lately. I've only had a few minutes here, less than that there... maybe a bit more...

So, if you've used DIM for ALL of it, please make sure that everything is installed. I only say this because some things are not available to the DIM yet. If I had more time to read further through the thread, that has probably already been said, eh?

Anyways... I made this video in the hopes of helping. I haven't even had a chance to sit in the chair of my workstation since I launched it to YouTube - so I haven't even had a chance to test stuff out/finish from where I've left off in that video! LOL

I did have a short time to play on my laptop that I was using to test DIM prior to that - which is what I used to post this image in that thread. While using my laptop, I noticed that I added a lot more runtime allocations on that than I did in the video. Wow do two cores ever take a lot longer to render than eight!

Connatic, I truly hope all goes smooth, and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can, even though I'm not an official option, by any stretch... but I do like to help solve problems. To that end, I'll try and get as much about the subject gathered in one spot - or nearly so, at the very least, in the Info Manual Thread I have going, and get a clear label for it in the Table of Contents so that other new users will have an easier time of things... hopefully.

Some of us use this stuff so much that we take things for granted, and our explanations can tend to get too simplistic, and not nearly complete enough. So I'd like to put together a much better solution.

edited December 1969

I appreciate the help, db. The more I learn, the more I feel like I am not quite learning it all. Install Manager for me does not present the big list of files available from the website. I can only get one file at a time.

I installed 8.5 manually. Is that a problem? The Genesis stuff all shows up in C and works, as far as I can tell.

Am I still on the wrong path? Should I completely uninstall everything and start over?

edited December 1969

I decided to delete everything and start over. Maybe someday I can get to use this stuff. I keep painting myself into a corner and having to start over.

First I am downloading and reinstalling dim.

I did not uninstall CMS and DSON. I hope that does not come back to haunt me.