Blast From Past - Getting Serial Number into Carrara 7.2 Pro

MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,317
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hearing all the noise about Carrara 8.5, I wondered whether I might like Carrara (so far just a DS user and occasional forays into Bryce).
I don't want to commit any money to getting 8.5 till I've had a taste of Carrara and as I have an old magazine coverdisk with Carrara 7.2 Pro, I thought I'd install that and try it.
Now I got it installed and working, except that I have to re-enter a user name and the serial number every time I start up the program. Is this normal?
A pop-up hint panel had a link for "Register Carrara" and (thinking that might make the difference) I clicked it but got a 404 error.
Does anyone know if there is any way to get Carrrara 7.2 to remember me from one run to another?

Comments

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Are you running windows?
    If yes, then run Carrara as admin (instead of double left click on shortcut to start carrara, right click(on carrara shortcut) and select "Run as administrator"). enter the serial number and OK, you can then exit and start Carrara normally.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

Yes - sorry I failed to mention I'm on Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit (I know Carrara 7.2 is only 32-bit though) and I'm logged on as Administrator when I install and run. I'll try what you suggest though in case the right-click "Run as" makes any difference. (Will take me a few minutes as I'm on a laptop at present, not the desktop where Carrara 7.2 is)

edited December 1969

Hi,

You still need to let Carrara run as admin due to it needing to write (license info) to protected areas. If you do not allow it to run as admin, windows UAC (User Account Control) will block Carrara attempt to write the license info.

edited August 2013

Right, thanks so much, that worked perfectly!
    Now all I need to do is figure out how the thing works before the window of opportunity to get 8.5 "cheaply" closes. (Shame I can't get an upgrade rate, but I suppose that would be unreasonable as I never paid for 7.2!)
    Funny I never had that problem with DAZ Studio or Bryce on that machine. They must store registration details somewhere else?
    Anyway thanks again for your help.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Now all I need to do is figure out how the thing works before the window of opportunity to get 8.5 "cheaply" closes. (Shame I can't get an upgrade rate, but I suppose that would be unreasonable as I never paid for 7.2!)
    Funny I never had that problem with DAZ Studio or Bryce on that machine. They must store registration details somewhere else?

Actually you should be able to qualify for an upgrade rate, as we've had several daz folks on here reaffirming that you can upgrade from any version of Carrara, not just Carrara 8, to get the discounted rate. At least that's my understanding.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Yes.
    Carrara 7 is not fully compatible with windows UAC. It is also not compatible with Win7 default windows theme. When you start carrara7, the default windows theme will be disable, and the basic theme used.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    MelanieL said:

Actually you should be able to qualify for an upgrade rate, as we've had several daz folks on here reaffirming that you can upgrade from any version of Carrara, not just Carrara 8, to get the discounted rate. At least that's my understanding.
    It's not so much the version number (yes, I think that would qualify from what I've read) but the fact I didn't buy it from DAZ3D, but got it free with a magazine - the statement was that it had to be "in your DAZ Account" and mine isn't because it was from elsewhere.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    MelanieL said:

I believe that any version of Carrara would need to be in your DAZ account, so purchased from DAZ. Unless of course you can register the version of Carrara you have, and then it shows up in your account?

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Yes.
    Carrara 7 is not fully compatible with windows UAC. It is also not compatible with Win7 default windows theme. When you start carrara7, the default windows theme will be disable, and the basic theme used.
    Yes I noticed that too. I lose my Aero as soon as I start the program (but it comes back on exit.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    MelanieL said:

I believe that any version of Carrara would need to be in your DAZ account, so purchased from DAZ. Unless of course you can register the version of Carrara you have, and then it shows up in your account?
    Doesn't seem to be any way to do that, as I said in my first post if I click "Register" I get a 404-error so there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. I'm not complaining by the way, the thing was free so I can't expect too much!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, I think there must be a way...

I started with Carrara 7 standard, but when I wanted to upgrade to Carrara 7 pro, I saw that the upgrade was less if I went from Carrara 6 pro. So I went out and got a copy of Carrara 7 pro free from a magazine (well free except I had to pay 15 bucks for the magazine), and I was able to use that to upgrade to Carrara 7 pro. So I know that daz accepts magazine Carrara 'sales' as valid, or at least they used to.

I think it's worth asking Daz support, because it's not so much about expecting a lower price for your upgrade, but getting the best deal possible, and especially if Daz is ok with it (better they should get 100% of $85.50 from you than 0% of $171.00, right?) you might want to know your best option.

edited August 2013

Jonstark said:
    Hmmm, I think there must be a way...

I started with Carrara 7 standard, but when I wanted to upgrade to Carrara 7 pro, I saw that the upgrade was less if I went from Carrara 6 pro. So I went out and got a copy of Carrara 7 pro free from a magazine (well free except I had to pay 15 bucks for the magazine), and I was able to use that to upgrade to Carrara 7 pro. So I know that daz accepts magazine Carrara 'sales' as valid, or at least they used to.

I think it's worth asking Daz support, because it's not so much about expecting a lower price for your upgrade, but getting the best deal possible, and especially if Daz is ok with it (better they should get 100% of $85.50 from you than 0% of $171.00, right?) you might want to know your best option.

Mmm, well I'll try out 7.2 for a bit and see how I get on with it before I worry too much about upgrade/purchase prices. I'll bear in mind what you said though and maybe contact DAZ Support next week.
    Post edited by MelanieL on