Can I use V4.2 in Carrara 8.5 just like I did in 8.1?

scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can I use V4.2 in Carrara 8.5 just like I did in 8.1?
The emphasis seems to be in Genesis but I have a lot of V4 stuff.

Comments

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Yes. All the prior generations work in C8.5 as they did in C8.1.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Oh Yeah... you can! :)
    Take away V4 compatibility and I'd be lost!
    There's a known issue, however, where if you bring in a DUF V4 from a DS export the material zones, while retaining what they have, get placed in a different order than V4 whom was just brought directly into Carrara from the browser. This has the affect of drag/drop Multi-Shaders will not place the shaders in the proper order.

Personally, I won't notice this. But there is an easy fix, if this is a necessary workflow.

Simply use a V4 loaded directly from the browser. Apply the Multi-shader that you wish to use on the duf version.
    Assembly room > Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

Make sure each shading domain is set the way you want.
    At this point, I often rename the shaders to represent what they texture - like Torso, Face, Limbs, Iris, Pupil, Cornea, etc.,

Now Create a subfolder where the main multi-shader is kept and save ALL of the individual shaders to the browser.

This will now allow an easy transfer to the appropriate domains of an model with the domains in a different order.

Now, if I was in the habit of bringing in a DUF V4 with switched domains, I would load them into this new order onto one of these versions and save out the multi-shader for further use. Personally, it is the way I can set the shaders up in Carrara that keeps me saving my characters directly to my Carrara browser and using them from there - so I'll likely never use this DUF instance. And if I did manage to start using dynamic clothing in DS and DUF her over, I could certainly use my procedure above to make the process painless.