I look for sturdy doors that open out of a spaceship

I wanted to make a composition like the attached image. I wanted some sturdy external doors that open like that. There are many inner science fiction packs but I have not found anything like this. Does anyone know if there is something like this? thanks

test.jpg
1517 x 1538 - 633K

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I would say to look into Stonemason, Kibarreto and Petipet. They may not have exactly what you are looking for, but I would be surprised if you could not find items to use and kitbash together something similar to what you had on that picture. There is a few others who also have done nice sci-fi products, but I don't have those names at the top of my head, sorry. Hope you find something that helps you :)

• Thanks, I try to look, but so far I have not found anything like that 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Sometimes you need the right keywords. I searched for Airlock for you, this might be of interest :

https://www.daz3d.com/airlock-construction-kit
    A construction kit so you can make your own composition!

Maybe a bit less on the mark, but still interesting :
    https://www.daz3d.com/modular-sci-fi-quarterdeck

This might be spot on?
    https://www.daz3d.com/vertical-living-repair-shop

Good luck!

• Paintbox said:

Sometimes you need the right keywords. I searched for Airlock for you, this might be of interest :

https://www.daz3d.com/airlock-construction-kit
    A construction kit so you can make your own composition!

Maybe a bit less on the mark, but still interesting :
    https://www.daz3d.com/modular-sci-fi-quarterdeck

This might be spot on?
    https://www.daz3d.com/vertical-living-repair-shop

Good luck!

Thanks, the third suggestion is the one that gets closer ... but it does not look like the inside of a spaceshipsmiley

I suspect you will need to kitbash things together, to make it look like you want. But that is only a guess :)

• Paintbox said:

Thanks 

• Carola O said:

Carola O said:

I suspect you will need to kitbash things together, to make it look like you want. But that is only a guess :)

I do not know ... in what sense?

Kitbashing, like.. if you find the walls you like that give you the feel of a starship, but it don't have doors that work. Than you have doors rom another product that you like, but the rest of it don't feel like a starship.

Than you can, hopefully, hide parts of each products and use the parts you like by combining them. Just make sure you use shaders on them to make them look like they belong together, in case they have a missmatched look. Hopefully this made sense, ifn ot I hope someone else can explain it better, cause I know I am not good at explaining things :)

• Carola O said:

Kitbashing, like.. if you find the walls you like that give you the feel of a starship, but it don't have doors that work. Than you have doors rom another product that you like, but the rest of it don't feel like a starship.

Than you can, hopefully, hide parts of each products and use the parts you like by combining them. Just make sure you use shaders on them to make them look like they belong together, in case they have a missmatched look. Hopefully this made sense, ifn ot I hope someone else can explain it better, cause I know I am not good at explaining things :)

you're right ... but I do not like that door ... I'm sorry ... triste

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited October 2018

Just to throw in another idea, since you use a lot of backlighting, you might get away with doing it yourself since maybe you dont need an insane amount of detail, and you can keep it simple.

In Hexagon (free from DAZ) and Blender (also free)  you can make a wall and a door shape and extrude it. Just use the bridge or simple OBJ export to get it into DAZ.

Then, buy a fancy looking metal shader :
    https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=metal+shader

And apply it.

On the plus you'll learn how to do some simple stuff yourself. I am no modeller by a longshot, but sometimes I succeed making doors or simple shapes like boxes or walls. Still learning this.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 354
    edited October 2018

This free hangar set at sharecg has doors that can open: http://www.sharecg.com/v/81310/browse/11/Poser/SCI-FI-Hangar

I think the level 19 set also has a set of double doors that can open like the doors in your reference image. The set was free with previous versions of daz3d, so it might already be in your library if you are using daz3d: https://www.daz3d.com/level-19

Also the generic scifi corridor, but i dont remember if the doors open: https://www.daz3d.com/generic-sci-fi-corridor

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited October 2018

I would call it air lock since you have two doors one on the inside and one on the outside to keep the atmospheric pressure inside your space ship / station.

@ Paintbox

Good point by taking the reference picture provided it could be made quiet simple.

@ dannagiusy64

I actualy already started modeling some door in Blender to show how easy it is, but then I thought maybe I should first have a look if I could scale and model it to fit it to an existing SciFi corridor set. What do you think which SciFi corridor should it fit to most likely in color and style, maybe we can even use some of their textures and finaly you should be able to dock it onto some existing door module. What do you want to use? In the attached images so you can see what I had done after around 15 minutes in Blender. I've used a circle curve, a plane and yeah a cube but only four edges are left, the rest is dynamicly generated by those Modifiers Solidify, Bevel and Curve Bevel.

I can't guarantee anything but let me see if I find some time this weekend to create something. Examples I prefer the most:

AirLock_001.png
    1920 x 1044 - 470K
    AirLock_002.png
    1920 x 1044 - 164K
    Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • Carola O said:

Thanks, but I'm not able to use ne blender ne hexagon.pianto

Paintbox said:

Just to throw in another idea, since you use a lot of backlighting, you might get away with doing it yourself since maybe you dont need an insane amount of detail, and you can keep it simple.

In Hexagon (free from DAZ) and Blender (also free)  you can make a wall and a door shape and extrude it. Just use the bridge or simple OBJ export to get it into DAZ.

Then, buy a fancy looking metal shader :
    https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=metal+shader

And apply it.

On the plus you'll learn how to do some simple stuff yourself. I am no modeller by a longshot, but sometimes I succeed making doors or simple shapes like boxes or walls. Still learning this.

• I would call it air lock since you have two doors one on the inside and one on the outside to keep the atmospheric pressure inside your space ship / station.

@ Paintbox

Good point by taking the reference picture povided it could be made quiet simple.

@ dannagiusy64

I actualy already started modeling some door in Blender to show how easy it is, but then I thought maybe I should first have a look if I could scale and model it to fit it to an existing SciFi corridor set. What do you think which SciFi corridor should it fit to most likely in color and style, maybe we can even use some of their textures and finaly you should be able to dock it onto some existing door module. What do you want to use? In the attached images so you can see what I had done after around 15 minutes in Blender. I've used a circle curve, a plane and yeah a cube but only four edges are left, the rest is dynamicly generated by those Modifiers Solidify, Bevel and Curve Bevel.

I can't guarantee anything but let me see if I find some time this weekend to create something. Examples I prefer the most:

I like it. do you think to put it on sale on daz3d when it's finished?

• This free hangar set at sharecg has doors that can open: http://www.sharecg.com/v/81310/browse/11/Poser/SCI-FI-Hangar I think the level 19 set also has a set of double doors that can open like the doors in your reference image. The set was free with previous versions of daz3d, so it might already be in your library if you are using daz3d: https://www.daz3d.com/level-19 Also the generic scifi corridor, but i dont remember if the doors open: https://www.daz3d.com/generic-sci-fi-corridor

I was not able to register in that reference site ... I did not receive the confirmation email triste

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 354
    edited October 2018

S.F.C.S Sci-fi Construction Set and Sci-Fi Factory - Control Room comes with airlock type doors styled similar to your reference image.

Had a chance to recheck Level 19 and Generic Sci-fi Corridor. Level 19 doors open, but not as heavy as the doors in your reference image, so may not be what you're looking for. Generic Sci-Fi Corridor does not have doors, unfortunately; just large openings allowing you to pair up with other sets such as Level 19.

Here's a sample of Level 19 open doors:

level 19.png
    800 x 600 - 773K
    Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • dannagiusy64dannagiusy64 Posts: 439
    edited October 2018

S.F.C.S Sci-fi Construction Set and Sci-Fi Factory - Control Room comes with airlock type doors styled similar to your reference image.

Had a chance to recheck Level 19 and Generic Sci-fi Corridor. Level 19 doors open, but not as heavy as the doors in your reference image, so may not be what you're looking for. Generic Sci-Fi Corridor does not have doors, unfortunately; just large openings allowing you to pair up with other sets such as Level 19.

Here's a sample of Level 19 open doors:

Yes, in fact they are not good. those doors seem very thin ... then I was not able to download the ivello 19 indecisione

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2018

I like it. do you think to put it on sale on daz3d when it's finished?

No I'm not a Daz product artist I'm an hobby amateur. This door geometry I created so far with the round opening and toothing doors was just an example meant as a free addon for one of these following sets.

But by looking over the diffrent sets and what door segments they offer, I think there is not much need of creating additional doors. I mean with a bit of KitBashing you could construct yourself some airlock chamber fitting to the overall set.

There is another thread about kitbashing where I explain how to make an all in one rigged environment set modular by creating a fourth wall segment for the Gated Courtyard set.

Have a look at here Duplicate a bone?

Comparing the doors in various Sci-Fi sets.

S.F.C.S Sci-fi Construction Set

How could I miss out this DazOriginal set? Looks like an older product with no iRay support, but the walls doors and frames are pretty well made to be modular.

Generic SicFi Corridor

Sci-Fi Kit 2016

Modular Sci-Fi Kit 01

Modular Sci-Fi Kit 02

And older models are often possible to "upgrade" a bit with iray shaders :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

if you really want that clam shape maybe use two planes with an opacity map, lack of thickness could be a problem though, depending on camera angle.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,746

There's Lots of sci-fi doors out in the 3D world. This ones from a bunker scene,  they have to interlock to have any significant strength to withstand blast and barrage,

I've been planning to make an Airlock type door set for space.  I'll post an image here when I'm done.

edited October 2018

Oh cool, I would like to show a few reference images I've just googled to give some ideas. These are ingame screens from the game DeadSpace to mention the design with the round doors, reminding me of submarine airlock sealing doors somehow.

• Thank you all for your advice. I found useful items. I just have to choose the most suitable one.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,937
    edited October 2018

Also, don't forget that on many of these, you can readily make the door thicker by simply expanding the scale along that axis.  So, if you have a hatch with a door in it, where the hatch and door are a seperate unit (that is, its an independent wall section that is not integrated into the corridor set module), but the door is too thin to look substantial enough for the scene, simply thicken the whole wall module, door and all, and position the other set parts accordingly.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

YOu likely don't need more help with items and such, but I took a tour in my content library and tried to make something similar to the picture you showed us. Similar but far from exact, more so as I didn't had any doors that resembled what the picture had. Anyhow, this is what I got from using the SS Marcoor Corridor, the background is one from Ron's Space The other items I've used is listed on the picture in my gallery, in case anyone wish to know :)

Arrival

edited October 2018

@ Carola O

Nice render, good postworks with the smoke and everything but somehow I have the impression there is someone standing in front of a modern art painting. Maybe its the door frame looking too thin, maybe you should darken the inside or lighten up the outside a bit, I don't know I'm no expert in rendering. Maybe also something like a "godray" or how do you call it would help to give the impression there is a dark foggy inside and a bright outside - could be also made in postwork I think.

[Edit]: By a second look I realized there is something like a beveled edge around the door frame that gives the imression its the frame of a painting.

edited October 2018

Thanks Syruc :) I didn't notice the bevel myself until after I had uploaded the picture to the gallery, it comes from the postwork I made to make it look a bit more like drawn/comic kinda style. Didn't felt for going over it again :) and I wasn't sure if the doors would feel thick enough, but I went with it as they were :)

Post edited by Carola O on