Fitting dynamic hair

adaceyadacey Posts: 186
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, just getting started in trying out Carrara 8.5 and I wanted to play with the dynamic hair. Problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to fit the skullcap to Genesis or V4. If I load the hair in with Genesis in the scene it won't fit the prop and it's floating way off in space.

If I load V4 then I'm a little better off, at least the hair loads in on her head and I can parent it to her head, then it follows poses. But, if I morph V4 at all then the skullcap doesn't line up anymore.

On top of this, the skullcap is visible in any render and just comes out white.

Just wondering if I'm doing it wrong or am missing something here?

Comments

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Should add, I'm talking about fitting the hair content that comes with Carrara, not painting on my own dynamic hair. There's a few hair props that come with Carrara for V4 that i wanted to try out while I'm learning.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry I can't help with Genesis figures, but maybe the fix for V4 will help with that as well. The problem with the haircaps is that I don't think they have any fit morphs. You can make it fit using a couple methods.

First off, expand the figure's hierarchy in the Instances tab on the right side of your screen. When you load the hair, drag the icon from the Object Browser and drop it on the head in hierarchy list. The hair cap should load at the proper location.

The first method (and least elegant) is to select the haircap and then on the left of the screen, select the Scale tool or the Universal Manipulator tool and scale the cap so that it's either wider or longer. This is kind of hit and miss depending on the morph applied to the figure.

The other option that will be a bit more exact is to edit the mesh of the haircap. This sounds scarier than it is. This will work best if the figure is in the standard T-pose and the hair cap is parented to the figure's head using the method I described above. If it needs adjusting up or down, forward or backward, or front and back, do that the best you can. The figure should have the morphs applied for an accurate adjustment.

Now with the haircap still selected, click the wrench icon at the top left of the screen to enter the editing mode. The haircap should now look like a mesh and some of it may be hidden by the figure. That's okay. The wrench icon will turn into a hand icon. When you're done, just click the hand icon.

With the standard selection tool selected, on the right side of the screen you should see some tool options. Click the little dot next to Soft Select. now click a poly on the hair cap. The red indicates the poly selected, but you should also notice as it gets further away from the selected poly the color gradually fades to pink. If the range is too great, you can adjust the influence of the soft select by using the slider below where it was enabled.

You should also see arrows indicating the directions you can move the poly. Move it in the direction needed and the main poly will move, but so will the pink colored ones, with the furthest from the center moving the least.

If a Poly is hidden by the figure, just click in the approximate spot you would like. Carrara will ignore the figure as you are not editing it. If you use the manipulator to pull the poly out far enough, you'll eventually see it poke out of the mesh. Wherever the mesh of the haircap and the figure don't line up where you want, push and pull the polys in that area until it looks like it fits.

When you're done editing, click the hand icon. To hide the haircap, select it, and uncheck the visibility box under it's General tab. The hair will still be visible in the render.

Picture_9.png
    252 x 817 - 54K
    Picture_10.png
    1222 x 571 - 223K
    Picture_4.png
    481 x 442 - 76K
    Picture_5.png
    254 x 152 - 18K
    Picture_2.png
    1156 x 628 - 230K
    edited December 1969

Awesome, thanks! Still getting the hang of Carrara and dynamic hair was a big one that I wanted to play with to get better quality renders than I can get from DS and I was hoping the sample hair would be a decent starting point so getting them to fit was important.

edited December 1969

The skull caps are meant for the version 4 figures (and seemingly standard shape), so in my example I used A3 to show that it could be done.

Hollywetcircuit has some awesome tutorials. Among them is an incredible hair tutorial. It focuses on putting hair on a cat, but the principals and techniques she covers are easily transferable to human figures as well. I would check it out.
    http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/

This image is made using one of the included hair samples. The ponytail. The only postwork was to convert to black and white.

Horizontal-portrait_1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 552K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I was thinking fur would be coming up on my list too so this is great. Thanks for the detailed instructions and the great link.

edited December 1969

Glad I could help! ;-)