DAZ Install Manager and Smart Content and Carrara

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Sorry for the brief interruption...just a quick question....

Until recently I have never dealt with the "new" install manager or any smart content stuff. But recently I finally downloaded the DIM and began using the Install Manager to install a bunch of old content that is, for the most part, just general Poser-type stuff, not any of the fancy new Genesis or M7 or whatever.

Now after downloading some of the old content from DAZ using the DIM I noticed that when I start C8.5 it apparently didn't get "smart contented". In fact I had to do a lot of search thru the default folders it gives me to actually find the stuff, and I think most was buried under a general list of items, not sorted by type.

So I guess my question is this...can someone direct me to a good explanation of how all of this works with Carrara, and what I need to do to get this stuff "smart contented" in C8.5 with general Poser-type stuff and also with stuff downloaded directly from DAZ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the brief interruption...just a quick question....

Until recently I have never dealt with the "new" install manager or any smart content stuff. But recently I finally downloaded the DIM and began using the Install Manager to install a bunch of old content that is, for the most part, just general Poser-type stuff, not any of the fancy new Genesis or M7 or whatever.

Now after downloading some of the old content from DAZ using the DIM I noticed that when I start C8.5 it apparently didn't get "smart contented". In fact I had to do a lot of search thru the default folders it gives me to actually find the stuff, and I think most was buried under a general list of items, not sorted by type.

So I guess my question is this...can someone direct me to a good explanation of how all of this works with Carrara, and what I need to do to get this stuff "smart contented" in C8.5 with general Poser-type stuff and also with stuff downloaded directly from DAZ?

Thanks.

For smart content you'll have to have the CMS (from Studio) running. Metadata from (only) DAZ provided content will be inserted into the database and in the way the metadata was designed it will show up in "smart" content.

Try a search on "smart content" in the Commons; it should work the same in Carrara as in Studio, because the database is the same.

I don't use smart content, because I have a runtime-system working which is tailored for my needs. The DIM itself is a great helper if used as a download manager (and spare the install).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Is the content that you are installing new enough to have meta data, and therefore be smart content?

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Frank__ said:

For smart content you'll have to have the CMS (from Studio) running. Metadata from (only) DAZ provided content will be inserted into the database and in the way the metadata was designed it will show up in "smart" content.

Try a search on "smart content" in the Commons; it should work the same in Carrara as in Studio, because the database is the same.

I don't use smart content, because I have a runtime-system working which is tailored for my needs. The DIM itself is a great helper if used as a download manager (and spare the install).

Thanks...to clarify I do have the DAZ CMS service running... (I checked my Windows Services and it's there). I recall installing that stuff with DAZ Studio a while ago, just never used it.

I'm assuming that it's probably not fully working with Carrara but is with DAZ Studio, which is why I asked here. I just assumed Carrara might be a little behind on all of that, though I could be way off base on that.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Is the content that you are installing new enough to have meta data, and therefore be smart content?

Ahh....that could be it....

I just assumed that if it came directly from DAZ all of that was done, but maybe not. You're right though, most of the stuff I'm downloading is probably a few years old....