DAZ Runtimes

2»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2013

refsocrd1 said:

Ok, this one is a bit easier.
    It's not the runtime, it's the actual scene size.
    The .car maybe 300 mb, but the actual scene maybe a couple gigs or more.
    What i'd say off the top of my head is that your comp is dumping the scene into virtual memory.

Here's a way to check to see if i'm FOS on this or not.
    If you're on a WIndows based machine, Pull up Task Manager(ctrl+shft+Esc).
    You'll have to switch to the Processes tab.
    With carrara open, and the scene loaded, look at what the memory usage is.
    Both physical and virtual.
    If the virtual is larger than the physical for the scene, it probably means that the OS is dumping it into virtual memory.
    Virtual memory is actually a swap file created by the OS on your hard drive.
    Short of a high speed ssd, or Raptor type drive it'll take longer to to save the file.

It also could be the dynamic hair.
    I haven't played with that much, so somebody with more experience might be able to help on that possibility.

A lot can cause a file size to be that large and also take that much time to load. Hint: It's not the hair. ;-) Hair is pretty light on the file size end of things.

Three things come to mind with large files and slow loads. The first is geometry, and lots of it.

The second is the scene being saved internally. When you save a scene internally, from what I've read, Carrara creates a lossless internal version of the image map, and no longer references the external image map. So even a lower res image map saved internally in Carrara will be larger than the original. Add a mil figure or two, and a set and your scene gets pretty big, pretty fast.

The third thing that can cause a long load time is to save the file as compressed. It doesn't add to the file size of course, but it increases load time and save time by having to decompress or compress the scene file. It's also seems more likely to get corrupted in my experience. If you save the file with the Local option enabled and uncompressed, it shouldn't increase the file size by much as the image maps are left where you placed them and Carrara references them when loading the scene.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Question on using DIM.

When setting paths for installation, there is a serious warning not to use a path which contains items not installed by DIM - fair enough, I'm getting rid of everything previously downloaded from Daz and starting off fresh. Problem is, how do you tell by looking at a file name whether it is destined for the Carrara presets or for Daz Studio?

For instance, there is a hair set for Aiko, which I thought would belong in Studio My Library, but it actually a .car file which belongs in Presets.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Evil, Thanks for that, and here I thought it was doing the opposite. Also, I just had a look at the tab in the right panel next to Instances. It has all the Objects I've ever tried in the scene, not just their Instances. I deleted all the ones I've not used in the scene and the file is now 100mb !! I thought that was the Edit the Master/Create a New Master choice you set in preferences. But I am asked for it everytime I click on something for the shading room. Hmmmmm..... It makes a bit of difference in loading/saving /rendering time but didn't cure it so will try and tick uncompress. The Render option still gives the yellow 1 screen in preview until I switch back to Assemble Room and then back to Render/Preview. Once the item shows in Preview it will then render.

BUT am getting an error on executing Saving now... have to chase that down. Didn't happen at first.

Wish there was a troubleshoot section in Help.

Thanks for the help, EP and Roy and all others.

xx SileneUK

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Question on using DIM.

When setting paths for installation, there is a serious warning not to use a path which contains items not installed by DIM - fair enough, I'm getting rid of everything previously downloaded from Daz and starting off fresh. Problem is, how do you tell by looking at a file name whether it is destined for the Carrara presets or for Daz Studio?

For instance, there is a hair set for Aiko, which I thought would belong in Studio My Library, but it actually a .car file which belongs in Presets.

Easiest way to know is to look at the tags -- if it's tagged for DS/Poser it will get installed to the content folder you have selected; if it's tagged for Carrara it will get installed to Presets, no matter what content folder you have selected.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

refsocrd1 said:

Ok, this one is a bit easier.
    It's not the runtime, it's the actual scene size.
    The .car maybe 300 mb, but the actual scene maybe a couple gigs or more.
    What i'd say off the top of my head is that your comp is dumping the scene into virtual memory.

Here's a way to check to see if i'm FOS on this or not.
    If you're on a WIndows based machine, Pull up Task Manager(ctrl+shft+Esc).
    You'll have to switch to the Processes tab.
    With carrara open, and the scene loaded, look at what the memory usage is.
    Both physical and virtual.
    If the virtual is larger than the physical for the scene, it probably means that the OS is dumping it into virtual memory.
    Virtual memory is actually a swap file created by the OS on your hard drive.
    Short of a high speed ssd, or Raptor type drive it'll take longer to to save the file.

It also could be the dynamic hair.
    I haven't played with that much, so somebody with more experience might be able to help on that possibility.

A lot can cause a file size to be that large and also take that much time to load. Hint: It's not the hair. ;-) Hair is pretty light on the file size end of things.

Three things come to mind with large files and slow loads. The first is geometry, and lots of it.

The second is the scene being saved internally. When you save a scene internally, from what I've read, Carrara creates a lossless internal version of the image map, and no longer references the external image map. So even a lower res image map saved internally in Carrara will be larger than the original. Add a mil figure or two, and a set and your scene gets pretty big, pretty fast.

The third thing that can cause a long load time is to save the file as compressed. It doesn't add to the file size of course, but it increases load time and save time by having to decompress or compress the scene file. It's also seems more likely to get corrupted in my experience. If you save the file with the Local option enabled and uncompressed, it shouldn't increase the file size by much as the image maps are left where you placed them and Carrara references them when loading the scene.

OK... second attempt to post...got logged out!

Ok....I tried saving without compressing (locally which is how I was doing it before) and the file went from 87mb to 446! It originally was 300mb before I removed all those Objects that were not actually in the scene vs their Instances. So I put it back to compressed save and the file went back to 87mb. Task Manager shows 1.9 gb.

I have 6 Genesis figures... (see attached WIP scene) and they are all variations of each other that were loaded from the browser except for one which I just duplicated in the scene since I was only changing hair colour and shrunk the size of the body a bit (the child was duplicated then made into the seated toddler. All are very hairy. Did I read correctly in a recent thread that the more Genesis figures you have the more cumbersome/slow the file becomes?

Am on the verge of uninstalling and reinstalling........ or topping myself (which might be easier at this point! ;) ) But am actually going to go out for a walk for a while.

Thanks to all for help... you have no idea how much it is appreciated. I really need to turn my assignment in this week as I got an extension after telling of my Carrara woes.

Cheers, SileneUK

Scene.png
    1000 x 589 - 835K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Easiest way to know is to look at the tags—if it’s tagged for DS/Poser it will get installed to the content folder you have selected; if it’s tagged for Carrara it will get installed to Presets, no matter what content folder you have selected.

Thanks so much - I'm really getting to like this DIM - I'll soon be out-cheering Dart :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Easiest way to know is to look at the tags—if it’s tagged for DS/Poser it will get installed to the content folder you have selected; if it’s tagged for Carrara it will get installed to Presets, no matter what content folder you have selected.

Thanks so much - I'm really getting to like this DIM - I'll soon be out-cheering Dart :)Right on! Then I'll just cheer for you! lol