WINNERS ANNOUNCED: Carrara Challenge 3: PARADISE LOST AND FOUND.

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Entry #5

Title - Paradise almost Lost

Artist - Stezza

The fireman sitting on the ground says it all... (the fires made big news over in the UK)

Entry Number: #10 (I assume Wendy’s is #9….)

Artist’s name: Fractal Dimensia

Entry Title: “Lost World”

The best sea I have ever seen!

Entry Number: #11

Artist’s name: Headwax

Entry Title: “The Teddy Bear Collector”

Amazing detail and so realistic!

And EVERYONE else gets an uber - honourable mention...they are all fantastic. Sockratease... Office reminds me of mescaline for some reason! ;)

Thanks for all the great art. Such high standards are inspiring and frightening at the same time.

xx SileneUK

• GarethGareth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My votes go to:

Entry Number: #10
    Entry Title: Lost World

A stunning image and a fine example of Carrara's prowess.

Entry Number: #14
    Artist’s name: Antara
    Entry Title: Paradise Found

Paradise is indeed found in this absolutely beautiful image.

Entry Title: The Teddy Bear Collector

I really like this image, The amount of detail is freaking insane!.

A lot of amazing art was created for this challenge, makes me proud to be a Carrara user.

Good luck to all. :)

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

My votes are:

Entry #11
    Title: The Teddy Bear Collector"
    Artist: Headwax

I like it because it keeps my eyes wandering. It's visually interesting.

Entry#14
    Title: Paradise Found
    Artist: Antara

A beautiful forest image with a surprise. That forest imp(?) peering out from the corner of the image just drew me in to the image. Lovely.

Entry#16
    Title: Boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea
    Artist: ManStan

I just like pirate stuff.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

All entries this month are so good each with their own story and visual concepts..

It is so hard picking my favourites this month.. They all deserve to win.. however.. to decide I re-read the rules on voting and with this in mind and the visual enjoyment that stands out to me I have selected.. and

These are my favourites in order:

Entry #7

Title - Homage to St Michael Wounds the Devil
    Artist - Diomede64

Entry #1

evilproducer

The Apple

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Entry Number: #14

Entry Title: The Teddy Bear Collector

Entry Number: # 15
    Entry Title: “Big Yellow Taxi”

I thought these three-----represented Carrara in ways equal to many other software packages. And in themselves nice art indeed!
    Great work folks!

Rich

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited September 2013

Crosspost: ManStan's votes:

Entry Title: “The Teddy Bear Collector”

Dude, you made my momma tear up.

Entry Number: # 14

I'm a peter pan fan and that looks like a lost boy, just what sprung to mind when I first saw it.

Entry Number: #10 (I assume Wendy’s is #9….)

For me descovering a tropical lost world is a paradise found.

Post edited by Antara on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I can't decide...

Not many Cows to choose from.

Last minute entries will equate to last minute votes too, I suppose.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Tough to choose favorites! :( I narrowed my favs down to 5 (Stezza's Crossroads, Fractal Dimensia's Lost World, Headwax's Teddy Bear Collector, Antara's Paradise Found, and Gareth's Valley of Dreams) but I'm having real trouble knocking any of them out of my list to make a top 3 :( Basically I ended up just about flipping a coin to decide, and it hurts my heart not to be able to vote for my other 2 favorites as well.

Really very impressive work by all the submitters, bravo!

Alright since I absolutely have to only choose 3:

Gareth's Valley of Dreams - At first my eyes skipped past this one, since I'm not much into toons, but then I started reading the description, and checked the WIP thread. Dude modeled and rigged and weight painted everything in the scene! Whoa! That is incredible work, and the figures (dog, girl, teddy bear etc) are easily of the quality that they could be sold in the DAZ store and be as good as anything else. I know nothing about modelling, but this seems to me would be very difficult and shows a tremendous skill. Really shows a great mastery of Carrara, very well done!

Fractal Dimensia's 'Lost World' - This is just an excellent image, period. At first I thought the ship's flags were flying the wrong way , as the wind should be coming from behind to fill the sails, but looking closer I see it was a trick on my perspective, as the flags are flying to the side, and the wind is coming from the port side, from rearward. Beautiful sunrays, very believable clouds, fantastic sea, love the little touches with the dolphins.

Antara's 'Paradise Found' - I suck at doing landscapes, but it doesn't stop me from admiring an excellent Carrara landscape (similar to why I really loved Fractal's 'Lost World'). Every once in a while someone comes along and shows that landscapes aren't all just about Vue, Vue, Vue, and that Carrara is a real live landscape creator that deserves a spotlight of it's own. I also loved spotting Taura, and the great SSS effect you were able to do for the ears, very cool and lifelike, yet still firmly in the realm of the fantastic. With the mists and sunrays, and the dreamy look, it made me think of one of my fav childhood movies, Legend :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Entry #5

Title: Paradise Almost Lost – 2 votes
    Artist: Stezza

These firefighters will not let the fire win. They are so determined that one of them has worked himself to near exhaustion. I was immediately caught up by the feeling of absolute fatigue of the firefighter sitting beside the fire truck while his comrades continue to battle a stubborn blaze.

Entry #12

Title: Paradise Found (While Reading “Paradise Lost”) – 1 vote

Artist: Antara

I love the relaxed pose of the figure but was totally sold by the sleeping cat curled up on the chair beside her.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

wow, it's great to see such a diversity of posting! I think that that accurately reflects the quality of the entries.
    let's see, I've got a few mins, I should try and add them up.!

edited September 2013

yah!

well it's hotting up! :)

Looks like a well deserved number ten has streaked to an early lead and kept it up, running ahead of the pack as the crowd favourite, but it's close call for second and third with number five coming up hot on the heels of number four, whoever that may be, with an early late dodger throwing a wild spin behind the gentleman's club's torso which normally erupts into a mad dash just before the final flashy splendiferous finish in the last 30 cms .....

so a rough count

# 10 - 9 votes
    #16 - 2 votes
    #5 - 5 votes
    # 3 - two votes
    #11- 7 votes
    # 14 - 8 votes
    #4 - 2 votes
    #1- 2 votes
    #12 - two votes
    #15 - two votes
    #13 - one vote
    #9 - one vote
    # 7 - 1 vote

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited September 2013

head wax said:
    yah!

well it's hotting up! :)

Looks like a well deserved number ten has streaked to an early lead and kept it up, running ahead of the pack as the crowd favourite, but it's close call for second and third with number five coming up hot on the heels of number four, whoever that may be, with an early late dodger throwing a wild spin behind the gentleman's club's torso which normally erupts into a mad dash just before the final flashy splendiferous finish in the last 30 cms .....

so a rough count

# 10 - 9 votes
    #16 - 2 votes
    #5 - 5 votes
    # 3 - two votes
    #11- 7 votes
    # 14 - 8 votes
    #4 - 2 votes
    #1- 2 votes
    #12 - two votes
    #15 - two votes
    #13 - one vote
    #9 - one vote
    # 7 - 1 vote

Ar4e you sure your count is corrects?
    I've been doing this in an Excel spreadsheet, but sometimes late at night, so I might have messed it up... this is what I have:
    Entry # Artist Title Votes
    #10 Fractal Dimensia : 9
    #11 Headwax : 8
    #14 Antara : 8
    #5 Stezza : 5
    #1 evilproducer : 2
    #3 Gareth (Gareth Davies) : 2
    #4 Stezza : 2
    #12 Antara : 2
    #15 Headwax : 2
    #16 ManStan : 2
    #7 Diomede64 : 1
    #9 wendy♥catz : 1
    #13 Philemo : 1

And not all votes are in yet, so I am not sure we need the count yet :)

Post edited by Antara on
    edited December 1969

And not all votes are in yet, so I am not sure we need the count yet smile

ahh sorry :( for butting in! just a way to bump the thread ;)
    and yes, I cannot count!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

Entry Number: # 12

Entry Title: Paradise Found (While Reading “Paradise Lost”

Entry #3 Gareth. Valley of dreams.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Overall Fave:

Entry Number: # 18
    Artist’s name: Sockratease
    Entry Title: In The Office Of The Grand High Such-And-Such

Next is:

Entry Number: # 15
    Entry Title: “Big Yellow Taxi”

And third:
    Entry Number: # 10
    Artist’s name: wendy♥catz
    Entry Title: Carrara serial lost and found

Again you all, you make it very difficult to decide - so voting is based upon the current feelings at the time of the voting. Man, I've finally made my picks and am still wanting to continue: "and my next is..." you know? I just have too many favorites. I must say, though... that some of the images that would have been selected had something in the view that got me to pass it by for another. In those situations, I'm talking about the fact that 'most' of the picture blew me away with a very eye-catching appeal and then some small detail glared out. Just something to consider, I guess... but please know that I'm truly not a qualified art judge. I actually would rather not judge it and just admire it.
    Sock, you materials are bliss to my eyes. I'll have to go back and read everything you've written in WIP. I'm wondering things like if you used caustics and such. Wendy, the concept and expressions, and just the overall coolness of your commercial was going to be second, if it wasn't for that damned Head Wax coming in and handing me, by the hand of a sweet child, a precious and perfect little tree in a jar with a busily gorgeous surrounding scene. Sock's glittering gems mesmerizing me as I follow the flow of motion. Finally, when I get to the really scary part, I get the inquisitive purity of Bessie who's innocents is truly about to save the day. Bravo!

• xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403
    edited December 1969

Such wonderful images! It has been very difficult to choose.

Entry #5 Title - Paradise almost Lost Artist - Stezza
    Amazing image. The firefighter sitting in the grass says it all!

Entry Number: # 12 Title: Paradise Found (While Reading “Paradise Lost”) Artist’s name: Antara
    The type of image I'd love to make! So much details, beautiful light. Just perfect.

Only one more entry I could have chosen so many more.

Entry Number: #10 Entry Title: “Lost World” Artist’s name: Fractal Dimensia
    Superb scene and ocean.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2013

My choices are:

# 16 Boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea.

Artist: ManStan.

I love the environment in this one. It has a real sense of place. The ship masts peaking above the trees really makes enter the picture for some reason.

#5 Paradise Almost Lost.

Artist: Stezza.

This one also pull me into the scene. It's a great job of using the set and body language together to create the emotion of the scene.

#10 Lost World.

Artist: Fractal Dimensia.

I like the sense of mystery with this image. Knowing the tragic fate of the culture about to be "found," also adds another layer to this picture.

Like everybody else, I wish I could choose more! There are so many wonderful images here that I think are winners, that I feel a guilty pang not voting for them.

Good luck to all!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Too hard to pick a top entry, so here, in no particular order, are my 3 votes :

Entry #7 - Title - Homage to St Michael Wounds the Devil - Artist - Diomede64

Entry #9? - wendy♥catz - Carrara serial lost and found

Entry #13 - Title – Eased off Eden - A tribute to Gustave Doré - Artist - Philemo

I was writing a long post with a comment for every entry, but have to go and it's not finished. So I'll post that later. Sorry.

• GrimmvaldGrimmvald Posts: 65
    edited September 2013

It's been so difficult to choose among so many great images that I lost track of the date.

I've been off doing photography and haven't rendered in a while. So maybe my votes shouldn't count?

Anyway, a couple of general comments. Some people moved away from "realism" and the result was some great art work. Also, a number of the Carrara renders were soft and perhaps would benefit a lot from sharpening (Topaz Detail 3 is great).

My votes:

Number 11 - Teddy Bear Collector

Well ... now you've set the bar pretty high and people will always expect this kind of work now :)

Number 12 - Paradise Found

The picture tells the story.

Number 3 - Valley of Dreams

Nice creative thinking outside of the norm. I like the composition - the road make a nice leading line that moves the eye to the back of the pic ... and then it returns to the foreground subjects.

And a couple of suggestions that I hope might be helpful. Number 5 Fire Engine is great detail ... some actual flames - like maybe post worked Ron's Flames - would have totally sealed the deal.

Number 14 - Forest Scene - is great. With the subject tucked away in the corner, perhaps this would be a good place to use some leading lines? Some light rays or perhaps creative lens flares pointing to the subject would have pulled the whole composition together. Just my opinion.

And a mention - Number 13 Eased off Eden is very creative - looks like it could be an illustration from a manuscript or something.

Such good work ... everyone should be pleased with this collection.

Post edited by Grimmvald on
    edited December 1969

My own votes will not change the outcome at this point, but here they are:

#10: Fractal Dimensia's "Lost World" - it's an amazing work of art, it has a great story to tell, a very multi-layered message, it is perfectly executed and it showcases what a talented artist can do with Carrara.

#4: Stezza's "Crossroads" - I am drawn into the image with such quiet understated power. It's one of the most effective compositions I've seen in a very long while. And used in such wonderfully minimalistic way.

#3: Gareth's "Valley of dreams" - Great modelling and great composition and mood, also great use of a non-realistic style. Once again it's a perfect and almost mathematically precise combination of all components where every element is both necessary and enough and is created with the mind of supporting all others - from characters to background elements, to stylistic and colour decisions. And the result has such a strong happy emotional appeal, so powerful and so far away from any mathematical rationale.

The VOTING is now CLOSED.
    I will count and post the votes shortly.

edited December 1969

I cannot yet post the final results, but to keep with the schedule, here is list of the 3 winning entries based on the votes:

13 #10 "Lost World" by Fractal Dimensia
    9 #11 "The Teddy Bear Collector" by Headwax
    8 #14 "Paradise Found" by Antara

And once I have our wonderful sponsor's decision for the honourable mention, I will post the official results and update the first post.
    But we already know that the next challenge will be hosted by Fractal Dimensia :). FD, you better start thinking about the theme and the rules! :)

Congratulations!

And I would like to thank all the participants, and all who voted and commented in the challenge threads!
    This was my first experience of hosting a challenge and all of you made it a great one! I was afraid going into it, but I felt so much support and kindness from you that it ended up easing all my fears and I was able to have fun and thoroughly enjoy it. Thank you!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

here is list of the 3 winning entries based on the votes:

13 #10 “Lost World” by Fractal Dimensia
    9 #11 “The Teddy Bear Collector” by Headwax
    8 #14 “Paradise Found” by Antara

And once I have our wonderful sponsor’s decision for the honourable mention, I will post the official results and update the first post.
    But we already know that the next challenge will be hosted by Fractal Dimensia

Congratulations FD! and Headwax and Antara. Well earned.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

diomede64 said:
    here is list of the 3 winning entries based on the votes:

13 #10 “Lost World” by Fractal Dimensia
    9 #11 “The Teddy Bear Collector” by Headwax
    8 #14 “Paradise Found” by Antara

And once I have our wonderful sponsor’s decision for the honourable mention, I will post the official results and update the first post.
    But we already know that the next challenge will be hosted by Fractal Dimensia

Congratulations FD! and Headwax and Antara. Well earned.

Uh Oh!! Well, I did *not* seriously expect to win this competition, once I saw some of the renders getting posted. Thanks for all those who offered their thoughts on my rendering, and to all those who offered suggestions on the problems I encountered.

And if that wasn't tough enough, I have to follow in the footsteps of HeadWax and Antara's hosting skills! YIKES!! I have my work cut out for me! These two have done a totally awesome job handling the last 3 rounds! It is an honor to be the host for this next challenge.

I have a few ideas for the next challenge, and only hope I am worthy of the honor, and one that will be half as fun and challenging as those preceding!

Finally, special thanks to AgeOfArmour and to DAZ for helping out with the last contest by providing prizes!

FD

Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited September 2013

Hey hey hey :) Well a big congrats FD! Very thoroughly dserved you made a beautiful render. There were so many beautiful pieces in this and I loved Antara's work of course - sometimes images transcend into the spiritual world and I think Antara;s images sent me into that plane.

So Antara, a heartfelt congrats as well and thank you so very much for doing such a thoughtful and professional job as host,.

You did a seriously good job!

Personally I was amazed (but not surprised in the least) by the quality of all the images. I can see that as time goes on judging is going to be harder and harder as the images become even more professional - if that's possible.

And thank you of course to our sponsor Age of Armour! If you are quick you'll find him as a feautured artist today :)

http://www.daz3d.com/age-of-armour

PS thank you for all the kind comments on my work - really appreciated.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    I cannot yet post the final results, but to keep with the schedule, here is list of the 3 winning entries based on the votes:

13 #10 "Lost World" by Fractal Dimensia
    9 #11 "The Teddy Bear Collector" by Headwax
    8 #14 "Paradise Found" by Antara

Congrats to the winners.. jobs well done and congrats antatra for being a great hoster..

yay.. FD's shout :coolsmile:

• GarethGareth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to FractalDimensia for taking 1st place and to Headwax and Antara for taking 2nd and 3rd place.
    A big thank you to Antara for hosting this challenge, it was a blast! And thanks to everyone's votes and kind words on my entry. :)

FractalDimensia, i sit and wait in anticipation for the next challenge, it's going to be interesting to see what you've got up your sleeves. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

oops I only just realized I put #10 instead of #9 by mine!
    (mine was just an entry to pad out the numbers btw, not serious, was not even going to do a proper one)
    congrats to the winners and great entries by all!

edited December 1969

Don't worry, Wendy, I think everyone listed the artist and title of their votes, so there was no confusion. And yours get a few honest and well deserved votes too! :)

By the way, to all the voters, thank you for making my job easier by being so clear about your votes and for leaving such great thoughtful comments about your choices! I think your great comments and critique turned the voting into another great learning experience for all participants and viewers, because we could all take something from those comments to improve our own work.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all the winners. They are very creative and well deserving pieces of art!

Fractal, I'm looking forward to your challenge- namely because I don't have to host it! ;-p

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all the winners - very well deserved, with so many wonderful and imaginative entries!