Completely Lost... Chamfer Not Working

handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
edited October 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

This happen everytime I attempt to champfer anything in the drawing, which I can't do anymore apparently because of this.

Can anyone tell me why Im getting this rendition on Champfer?

Post edited by handyman4545 on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Did you post this in the right forum? I'm unfamiliar with the term "champfer".

• 3anson3anson Posts: 313

it is just a different spelling of 'chamfer'. i assume this is Hexagon?  if so just change the preview mode back to solid/shaded, you seem to have switched to a wireframe view.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hexagon+tutorial

check out these videos, they should help you to learn the modeller, with its lil foibles etcsmiley

• Did you post this in the right forum? I'm unfamiliar with the term "champfer".

looked it up here's the meaning/s 

cham·fer  (chăm′fər)
    tr.v. cham·fered, cham·fer·ing, cham·fers
    1. To cut off the edge or corner of; bevel.
    2. To cut a groove in; flute.
    n.
    1. A flat surface made by cutting off the edge or corner of a block of wood or other material.
    2. A furrow or groove, as in a column.

chamfer (ˈtʃæmfə)
    n
    (Building) a narrow flat surface at the corner of a beam, post, etc, esp one at an angle of 45°. Compare bevel1
    vb (tr)
    1. (Building) to cut such a surface on (a beam, etc)
    2. (Building) another word for chase

cham•fer (ˈtʃæm fər) 

n.
    a cut that is made in wood or some other material, usu. at a 45° angle to the adjacent principal faces.
    [1595–1605; back formation from chamfering < Middle French chanfreint beveled edge, orig. past participle of chanfraindre to bevel =chant edge (< Latin canthus; see cant2) + fraindre to break < Latin frangere]
    cham′fer•er, n.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited October 2018

If this is Hexagon, you may wish to move the thread to the Hexagon forum.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2018

You can move the thread by clicking on the gear icon in your top post and then edit,  on that page you will see you can change category on the menu at the left,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Perhaps I'm an idiot here but...

I changed the venue then pushed about every button I could find for a couple hours last night and still can't get rid of the wire frame view.
    When you say change the "preview" mode I'm guessing you mean the "Display" mode since I have no "preview" mode anywhere that I can find and there's nothing in there related to "solid/shaded". Flat solid or smooth solid are the only choices close to your suggestion and neither have any affect. 

This issue only happens when I select the "C H A M F E R" mode and to add insult to injury, the chamfer tool refuses to work at all now.
    Oddly, chamfer works fine (though I still get the wire frame view) if I close out my work and start a simple "primitive" in a new screen.

Spent a couple hours looking for info in the so-called help pages and that was useless too.

Someone should take a little time in their busy I.T. day and make a Glossary of terms and items. It's a MAGNANOMOUS help to us ignorant techies out here trying to navigate your software.

Would also help if there was a "Properties" tool that gives you a poly count (amoung other things) on this too but that's another horse in another stable.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited October 2018

Heavy, bad geometry. Probably trying to chamfer some edge that is only connected to a single polygon. That's the usual causes.

As for a glossary - these are not esoteric Hexagon-specific terms. They are universally used in 3D work and found in any generic glossary. Actually 3D artists didn't even invent them. They have been used sometimes for centuries already in engineering, mathematics, woodworking... and when 3D artists replicated what others did before them with their own hands in the digital realm they just adopted those already pre-existing terms and their meanings.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited October 2018

Wow Asc. You certainly are argumentative.

Insulting my work based on conjecture then formulating a hypothisis based again on conjecture (which by the way is incorrect) is still useless info to me in resolving my problem. The reason I'm posting this is to find a solution and your post is useless to that end.

What I need is input from someone who has had this issue in the past and found a resolution for it.

Moving on though, doubt that it's "heavy" bad geometry but that does sound like it may be an issue. I've personally seen auto cad jamb up in similar circumstances. I know I have at least one bad geo in my drawing that I'm working on learning a work around for. 

This would be a nightmare for anyone with no previous 3D experience much less cad and I would have bailed out of it for another program that's a bit more "new user" friendly but I'm stuborn and imaginative and I fix things for a living so I'm in this for the long run.

As for a glossary - "esoteric" makes no difference. Glossaries are, have been and will always be useful to the learner and depending on the person who writes them, can also provde a glimpse into how things work too.

Auto Cad has an online reference manual that works like a glossary and provides not only the definition but the syntax, location of teh command and in some circumstances, a link to additional video connected with the comand.

To use the Chamfer command

1. Click on the Chamfer icon.
    2. Type D and Press Enter.
    3. Specify the first chamfer distance and Press Enter.
    4. Specify the second chamfer distance and Press Enter.
    5. Select the first line.
    6. Select the second line.

https://autocadtips1.com/2012/06/02/intro-to-chamfer/

These are massivly useful and helpful to not only people with no previous knowledge of cad drafting but even for people transitioning from another software program with similar functions but different layouts, tool tabs and terminologies.

This type of work can be provided by outside sourcing at no charge because of the base "open source" concept of the program and this info is critical to people (like me) who are learning the product "on the fly" because they provide a source to reference as you learn epecially where there are no comprehensive learning books available as in this products case.

• Champfer - Wikipedia

Champfèr

Champfèr (About this sound [tɕɐmpˈfɛɾ] (help·info)) is a village in the Upper Engadin valley of the canton of GraubündenSwitzerland. The Western part of the village belongs to the municipality of Silvaplana and part of the village belongs to the municipality of St. Moritz. The two halves of the town are separated by the creek Ova da Suvretta.

[chuckles] My bad.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Question... If you start with a new project, create a cube and run chamfer on it, does it work correctly? If not, then it could be a problem with Hexagon and you might do well to uninstall/re-install. If it does work, then it's probably the model itself that is confusing Hex somehow.

In the case of the latter, try exporting it as an OBJ and then importing into a new Hex project. If that doesn't clean it up, I would export it, import into Daz Studio, export it, and use that copy of the mesh to import into Hexagon. Sometimes sending it through another tool will cleanup little bits of data in the OBJ file that Hexagon isn't handling well. If Studio doesn't help, I might try downloading Blender or Wings and running the file through there to see if they can resolve the issues with the object data.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited October 2018

Wow Asc. You certainly are argumentative.

Insulting my work based on conjecture then formulating a hypothisis based again on conjecture (which by the way is incorrect) is still useless info to me in resolving my problem. The reason I'm posting this is to find a solution and your post is useless to that end.

What I need is input from someone who has had this issue in the past and found a resolution for it.

Someone did. You didn't like the answer, so you ignored it.

Moving on though, doubt that it's "heavy" bad geometry but that does sound like it may be an issue. I've personally seen auto cad jamb up in similar circumstances. I know I have at least one bad geo in my drawing that I'm working on learning a work around for. 

This would be a nightmare for anyone with no previous 3D experience much less cad and I would have bailed out of it for another program that's a bit more "new user" friendly but I'm stuborn and imaginative and I fix things for a living so I'm in this for the long run.

As for a glossary - "esoteric" makes no difference. Glossaries are, have been and will always be useful to the learner and depending on the person who writes them, can also provde a glimpse into how things work too.

Auto Cad has an online reference manual that works like a glossary and provides not only the definition but the syntax, location of teh command and in some circumstances, a link to additional video connected with the comand.

To use the Chamfer command

1. Click on the Chamfer icon.
    2. Type D and Press Enter.
    3. Specify the first chamfer distance and Press Enter.
    4. Specify the second chamfer distance and Press Enter.
    5. Select the first line.
    6. Select the second line.

https://autocadtips1.com/2012/06/02/intro-to-chamfer/

These are massivly useful and helpful to not only people with no previous knowledge of cad drafting but even for people transitioning from another software program with similar functions but different layouts, tool tabs and terminologies.

This type of work can be provided by outside sourcing at no charge because of the base "open source" concept of the program and this info is critical to people (like me) who are learning the product "on the fly" because they provide a source to reference as you learn epecially where there are no comprehensive learning books available as in this products case.

And Hexagon has a very good manual.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,793

bad is a loaded word

tell someone they are a bad driver they explode devil

there is no bad geometry, some software perfectly happy with ngons and boolean processes

Sketchup is a classic example and even Bryce and Carrara

there is just geometry that does not play nicely in Hexagon and most other software, not bad just does not work well there

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited October 2018

To be clear here mam.
    1) I did not ignor it. I did my best to follow it but it was unclear and as such, I was unable to accomplish it.
    2) Hexagon has no manual that I've been able to find thus far other than the "Help" page that looks like it would take me 20 minutes to compile and write in HTML format (which I am actually qualified to do and thus an expert opinion) and that has thus far been sadly laking in sufficient deatil to satidfy my needs for a resolution to any of the problems I've encountered thus far.
    The videos are far more helpful but unfortunately, not compiled in any reference site ans as such, hit and miss by Googling.

In the future mam, if you cannot be polite and constructive it would please me greatly if you would please not waste your time responding to my posts.
    There are others that actually care and who are willing to assist in the needs of those of us ignorant beginners.

• That one I've been all through.
    It's helped out well on basic questions but hasn't helped at all on my posted issue.

Incidently...

I imported another complex, geo item into the ship plan (I was pleased to see I can do this). This new item, the ships dome, is less complicated than the floor plan layout and I discovered that while I still get the same wire frame view when I select "Chamfer", I can actually use the tool on the dome but still cannot use it on the floor plan in the same drawing.

I'm still working on this issue.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Handy, have you looked used any of the "select n-gon" or other features to look for mesh issues?

Also look for non-manifold parts of the object. These are typically free floating vertices or edges or maybe a face that passes through another face of the same object. Non-manifold geometry can cause a ton of issues for various tools and applications. Sometimes you can see them by turning up the smoothing factor and looking for areas that distort badly because the smoothing algorithm can't figure out what to do there.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited October 2018

Let me chime in here as it's happened to me in the past. For a time, I couldn't figure out what the heck happened and I eventually tumbled on the problem. Sometimes while modeling, one of the facets gets twisted and you don't really notice it. Then when you try another function on top of it, all the facets disappear and leave only the wire frame edges. One of two fixes will work. One, find and fix the bad facet (very hard to find in all the wires). Or two, revert to your last save and find the bad facet before running a function (easier to find).

Post edited by DzFire on
  • Ok. 

Thank you Johnny & DZ for slapping me into looking at the tree and ignoring the forest for a moment.
    I think I found the problem in the 5th save of 78 saves.
    Here is the first failure save.

Here is the only connection issue.
    I created a cylinder, deleted a portion of it and then welded the top and bottom points without welding any of the interstitial points or edges and you can see a connection issue if you zoom in.

Now I gott figure out how to fix that issue in my 78th save so as to avoid redrawing EVERYTHING.

Live and learn huh.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Try Average Weld

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited October 2018

When that happens to me, it's usually because my mesh has polygons no longer connected to neighboring polygons. Or I have polygons back to back with each other (too close, and their facets are touching). I never try chamfering while Dynamic Geometry is still in action on my meshes. Last resort for fixing (in my case) is to export as OBJ and create a new blank HXN and import the OBJ into that, and then save.

And don't feed the Ascania troll.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Tried that.
    No joy. The welds came out fine but the problem remained unchanged

There are only 4 items in this drawing. three rectangles and the broken arc left from the cylinder.
    I actually took the drawing apart piece by piece to try to isolate the offending poly and after som 20 different scenarios of combinations of polies down to just one poly, nothing made a difference.

Whatever caused the issue was still there in every part of the ships simple geometry.
    If I introduced any new polygon to the drawing, it operates and chamfers fine but no matter what I subtract from the ships geometry, it still fails.

***Hours later***
    I discovered the problem was connected to a wall system with no "thickness".

When I gave it thickness, the chamfers went back to working.

• [chuckles]
    Thanks for the input Shawn

• This has never happened to me, but if it is as Shawn suggests (2 faces in the same place but facing in opposite directions) I'd select a face and CTRL & + untill all the faces in the prop are selected, then CTRL & X to cut them CTRL + V to paste them (repeat for the other parts) then what is left should be the offending face(s).

Hope you find a solution to this soon, it looks like a nice project you've got going :)