Fitting Genesis figures/combining textures

mdlark1966mdlark1966 Posts: 103
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello all -

I'm working on a project that involves created a cyborg with some of his human covering removed to show his robot parts (see attached image). The only way I have figured out to do this is to use two Genesis figures - one with a texture that was originally made for M4, and another using the Bot Genesis skin and parts. I used transparency maps to make the M4 skin torn off in places, and in others just hid parts of that character's body. For the bot, I just hid the parts I didn't need.

This doesn't seem like the most elegant solution to this. There's a lot of unnecessary geometry there, and to make matters worse I have to pose both figures individually. If I try to fit one figure to the other, the fitted figure gets totally distorted.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this a better way?

(Yes, there is a CyberM4 head thrown in there, too. Couldn't keep it simple, could I? :) )

cyborg.jpg
617 x 970 - 99K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001
    edited December 1969

You could fit one Genesis to the other, but more elegant solutions would be to use a Geometry Shell (Create>New Geometry Shell) for one layer (as you are using the second figure) which is more memory efficient, or even to use a single figure and Shader Mixer versions of the materials with a mask controlling a mix brick to get the transition.

• mdlark1966mdlark1966 Posts: 103
    edited December 1969

Richard -

Thank you so much! I've never used Geometry shells before, so this was a revelation to me, and it works like a charm!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've never tried this Before but I love Polygon Group Editor. In the Default DS you can change each zone of the UV map to a different UV like the Arm zones to M4 and the Rest to Genesis. I would set the Arms to M4 Poly select all of one and save as Nee Surface. In that new surface apply the M4 arm select the other arm and set back to Genesis It could work. If so its just one mesh with multi UV's. For torn places I would use the LIE to add a layer to Show other things. This also will keep it down to just one mesh.